Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:41 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on this kind of agriculture.

While I can grow the basics, pumpkin, squash, tomatoes, green peppers etc. I've never really delved into all the minutiae that the really good gardeners seem to thrive on.
I do know that many of the most desirable plants around here don't transplant and can't be raised from seed like highbush huckleberries. There are "huckleberries" you can buy from nurseries like Gurnies, but they taste nothing like the real thing let alone the explosion of flavor that rewards those willing to sacrifice their back for the lowbush hucks.

We can grow decent domesticated Raspberries, but the wild ones that blast your senses with flavor like really rocky slopes exposed to very direct sunlight. Elderberries need some shade, gooseberries usually grow near water, but not in wet or dense soil. I have domestic gooseberries in my yard, they produce well, but very little flavor.

I'd love to find a way to encourage morel mushrooms to grow in my ravine, but right now my best bet is to follow last years wildfires, if we have a wet spring.

Nettles need very rich soil and good light, Mullens need disturbed soils with good drainage, greater sage needs very little water, and prefers dry sandy soil.

Trying to bring all these requirements into one space makes me wonder if it isn't easier to just continue to hike miles upon miles in rough country because the quality is so high.

Right, native edibles are the most nutrient-dense foods. Any amount of them that you can get is great.

In my case, I already had the varying requirements for many species. If you have to create the requirements, it's just another vegetable/fruit garden to maintain, of which I already have plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 10:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Right, native edibles are the most nutrient-dense foods. Any amount of them that you can get is great.

In my case, I already had the varying requirements for many species. If you have to create the requirements, it's just another vegetable/fruit garden to maintain, of which I already have plenty.
I suggest investigating the appropriate native plant society. There seems to be at least one in every state and Canadian province. The UK is full of groups as well.

I've appended a list as well as a link to the Wyoming newsletter which always has excellent articles. These societies comprise a large and almost unknown body of information. Needless to say, it's necessary to be familiar with the flora in general in order to understand edible plants.

Native Plant Societies « NANPS

http://www.wynps.org/wp-content/uplo...nal_insert.pdf

Old 03-24-2019, 09:05 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I suggest investigating the appropriate native plant society. There seems to be at least one in every state and Canadian province. The UK is full of groups as well.

I've appended a list as well as a link to the Wyoming newsletter which always has excellent articles. These societies comprise a large and almost unknown body of information. Needless to say, it's necessary to be familiar with the flora in general in order to understand edible plants.

Native Plant Societies « NANPS

http://www.wynps.org/wp-content/uplo...nal_insert.pdf

Thanks, HiW. I agree that the information is almost unknown, even to many lifelong locals. The society initially was very helpful to me since I didn't grow up in the area where I live now.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:57 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
Our pnw home has great natural forage.
Berries,apples,pears, even seafood and all that.
The coolest thing we found and are greatful for are the hundreds and hundreds of volunteer peas.
They are just about the coolest thing ever.
These ****s are everywhere.
They just roam on the edge of our the flat grassy areas
Sugar snap peas or whatever or they are called are just one of the greatest ever to add to a plate of good food.
I mean you can cook anything you want and add some of these pea things and all is better.
I have never seen this before but I’m digging it.
Andy

Old 03-24-2019, 03:23 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,166 times
Ive seen videos of people planting foods they like but trying to blend them into the native plant life. Some things like corn are just too distinctive to really do this effectively with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udqIcS2w--E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vjhhavYQh8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness