Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:56 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,551,027 times

Advertisements

I remember this SHTF show on TV a few years ago. One of the segments was about a fool who thought that she would just share what food she had with others and that there was no need for firearms. She was totally clueless about people actually taking her food by force. In her mind, it simply wouldn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,459,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I remember this SHTF show on TV a few years ago. One of the segments was about a fool who thought that she would just share what food she had with others and that there was no need for firearms. She was totally clueless about people actually taking her food by force. In her mind, it simply wouldn't happen.
Those are the same people who really need to read this forum. Not just due to firearms, but we address topics like caching, situational awareness, bugging out, etc.

This type of strategy could help people secure and protect what is theirs, with or without firearms. But nope, thet're not interested in learning anything!

Old 07-31-2016, 04:38 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
(Laughing) No, I don't think so! Was making a point about the above poster, and other 'strangers' who wander over here, giving us grief about the way we think and live and believe over here.

no worries Nor, I just do not think like the sheep normally do.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
That's what I mean -- you're one in our pack of wolves!

Old 08-04-2016, 10:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,528,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
? Preppers are one of the biggest flocks. A failure to recognize the actual likelihood of US societal breakdown and selective self-reinforcement of the idea from websites and forums like this populated with other preppers.

When it all comes out in the wash on your deathbed and it hasn't happened, spending your life prepping for something which was never actually realistic outside paranoia and doomsday fetishism is going to reveal preppers as a huge flock of sheep for indulging such a fatuous notion.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
When it all comes out in the wash on your deathbed and it hasn't happened, spending your life prepping for something which was never actually realistic outside paranoia and doomsday fetishism is going to reveal preppers as a huge flock of sheep for indulging such a fatuous notion.
Not hardly.

With 2 children and 6 grandchildren, I certainly am not *hoping* for anything to happen.

I do not suffer from "paranoia" or "doomsday fetishism". There have been enough incidents throughout history -- including recently -- to prove that having some basic preparations is a wise idea. I don't "spend my life" prepping. I pretty much got all that done in one fell swoop, and don't obsess over it now.

And there are not enough of us preppers for us to be a "huge flock of sheep". On the contrary; the "huge flock of sheep" is not prepared at all. You are apparently one of them. Just look in the mirror: "Baaaa"!!

Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM

6,753 posts, read 8,540,542 times
Quote:
? Preppers are one of the biggest flocks. A failure to recognize the actual likelihood of US societal breakdown and selective self-reinforcement of the idea from websites and forums like this populated with other preppers.

Easy to see you've fallen for the propaganda stereotype.
Preparing for emergencies is no different than buying insurance for your home or car. Having some extra food, a medical kit, a way to cook and purify water are not as insane as you would like to portray.
The establishment hates the thought of anyone being an individual and eschewing what they want the population to believe, in large part because those capable of independent thought are harder to control.

Those that are self reliant and take care of themselves don't need a huge government structure to take care of themselves and their family. They make sure they have provisions, medical care, water and shelter no matter what happens. Most will also have some money or perhaps some silver rounds put aside to make sure they can buy what they need as well if they have to evacuate and go somewhere else to be safe.
Even the loss of employment would qualify as a disaster if you don't have savings or a car accident could cause long term disability so you can't provide for yourself. In those cases, "Prepping" by having savings or having your home paid off, living well within your means so you can continue on until you heal or find another job are simply prudent.

Your attempt to portray those that like security as somehow insane is self contradicting. Blindly believing that the government will never allow anything to hurt you or disrupt your life is the epitome of a flock mentality. Someone else will worry about that and take care of me if something happens.
Pure recipe for disaster, but hey, you do what you want.

Quote:
Not hardly.

With 2 children and 6 grandchildren, I certainly am not *hoping* for anything to happen.

I do not suffer from "paranoia" or "doomsday fetishism". There have been enough incidents throughout history -- including recently -- to prove that having some basic preparations is a wise idea. I don't "spend my life" prepping. I pretty much got all that done in one fell swoop, and don't obsess over it now.

And there are not enough of us preppers for us to be a "huge flock of sheep". On the contrary; the "huge flock of sheep" is not prepared at all. You are apparently one of them. Just look in the mirror: "Baaaa"!!

Exactly Nor'Eastah

I've never been a "prepper" in the modern sense, I just always have resources to take care of myself and family because I do Self Sufficiency by growing my own food, doing my own mechanic work, my own repairs on my home etc.
Having a harvest of meat, fruits and vegetables canned/frozen or preserved between harvests means I usually have around a year's worth of food.
Being able to do my own carpentry/electrical/plumbing/car repair means I don't have to depend on anyone to make sure my home is in good shape and I don't have to worry about finding a good contractor.
Being able to make furniture, blacksmith or fabricate tools, being able to operate a generator to produce my own power, being able to make my own fuel, it just means I don't have those expenses and can make what I need.
Burning wood for heat means I don't have to worry about the power going out or gas lines breaking.

It's a way of life, not just a fad, and everybody has their own needs and abilities, so it's impossible to be a sheep when you have to be able to think/plan/design for yourself.
I don't have to worry about supply lines, I don't have to fantasize about a disaster, I just live my life eating better foods because I produce them myself, less stress because I know I can do whatever I need to in any situation, and I can enjoy life because I've seen war and what it does to a country, and after serving on a fire department, I know about personal tragedies that happen in a minute, so I'm secure in knowing my family is provided for no matter what happens. It's very comforting to me.

Other than that, I'm more of a bear (Silvertip), than a wolf, as I run alone away from the pack

Must spread some reputation around so I couldn't rep you, but you explained it very well. Good job!!

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 08-04-2016 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
? Preppers are one of the biggest flocks....
I checked this interloper out. Typical liberal.

Posts overwhelmingly in NYC. Secondarily in Westchester County and Long Island. FEMA-dependent territory. "What - me worry?" - Alfred E Newman.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:07 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,209,158 times
Quote:
Not hardly.

I have not gotten into a position to Prepping as of yet, but my company does have a good outlook on being prepared for problems, And I believe it, if you fail to prepare for a disaster; you are a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:50 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,598,384 times
Quote:
I see what you mean.

On any forum, take a look at number of Posts, and then Reputation. The two should at least equal. The better posters have about 2X the Reputation as number of Posts. It may of course not apply to the new members, but as they get to 500 or so posts, a pattern will emerge.

Just one way to see how others have felt, who read before you.
Great, now OCD will kick in and I'm never going to be able to ignore a post/rep ratio again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness