Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:09 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,864,816 times

Advertisements

We live in rural NH where we are prepped and ready to go with several like minded neighbors which we think is important during an emergency.
We also have a home in Florida on a typical 1/4 acre lot with lots of houses.
We are totally prepped in Florida as well....solar generator,freeze dried food,water filters and guns and I'm wondering how he can find out if any of our neighbors share our views and have done some prepping themselves.
Naturally,you don't broadcast it when you have supplies but one family would be hard pressed to guard against looters and lawbreakers if there was civil unrest.
We have a mix of working families and retiree's (snowbirds) on our street and now and then I see someone walking that looks by they way they dress and carry themselves,like someone of substance.......but how do you approach a person that you don't know about such a subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 10:18 AM

37,317 posts, read 61,125,189 times
There are gatherings for: off-grid homesteaders, survivalists, preppers, permaculturists, etc.

I have my foot-in-the-door with a bunch of different groupings, they all share a lot of over-lap.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
We live in rural NH where we are prepped and ready to go with several like minded neighbors which we think is important during an emergency.
We also have a home in Florida on a typical 1/4 acre lot with lots of houses.
We are totally prepped in Florida as well....solar generator,freeze dried food,water filters and guns and I'm wondering how he can find out if any of our neighbors share our views and have done some prepping themselves.
Naturally,you don't broadcast it when you have supplies but one family would be hard pressed to guard against looters and lawbreakers if there was civil unrest.
We have a mix of working families and retiree's (snowbirds) on our street and now and then I see someone walking that looks by they way they dress and carry themselves,like someone of substance.......but how do you approach a person that you don't know about such a subject?
You don't. Join local coin clubs, gun clubs, and primitive living clubs. Keep your ears open and your mouths shut. You may encounter a few people who are both interested as well as able to not talk about it. Get out of Florida. In the event of real problems it will be an unescapable death trap. it's a narrow peninsula. Consider what New Orleans would have been after Katrina if there had been no open escape routes.

New Hampshire isn't much better. It's next to the densest population in the country. Think about that. There are people interested in survival involved with Project Appleseed. That's an excellent start. Everyone can learn something.

Never go near a ''prepper'' event. There'll be more police agents than preppers.

You need to decide whether it's more important to stay where you are or to survive.

Project Appleseed Home

Old 04-18-2016, 03:54 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,454,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You don't. Keep your ears open and your mouths shut.
This is the best advice anyone could give you.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:29 PM

143 posts, read 133,294 times
You could check out this website called the APN or American Preppers Network. They're located at American Preppers Network • Portal

Old 04-21-2016, 12:06 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,912,966 times
We have a local survival products store that has weekly classes, I teach them occasionally. We get from 8-25 people. It's not really a club, but gives people a chance to meet others of like mind.

There's no police at "prepper events." Unless they are checking for illegal guns or something. They aren't "watching you." Well, I don't think they are. I'd wear a mask and gloves though, just in case.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:45 AM

13,108 posts, read 20,833,266 times
I would not use a person's appearance as any measure of them being prepared or not. There are a lot of people out there play acting the part. Look at the number of people who were walking around in tan tactical vest, tan BDU pants, and tan combat boots after Desert Storm; all trying to give the illusion they were something.

The best way is simply through normal everyday conversation and observation. This will also enable you to asses the type of preparedness plans they have. Just because a person is prepared doesn't mean they are sticking around. They may have decided the location isn't worth staying and bugging out before trouble arrives is better for self preservation. So they might be hold up somewhere, but not where you are. That would be important to know so you are not depending on them.

As also mentioned above, there are certain events that will enable you to see and talk with others where you are more able to judge if they are for real or just in it for the social interaction. You'll get to understand the various levels and type of people who prepare and their priorities. Some are strictly preparing for natural/man made disasters, while others are preparing for war. And, I whole heartily agree, there are no secret police and government agent spying on you at these events, that's just paranoid anti-government rhetoric mostly by the play acting group.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,864,816 times
If there was an event that caused civil unrest there would be no getting out of south Florida.Only choice would be to lay low and avoid looters and lawbreakers.I don't think this country is going to collapse but a power grid failure could put us into a New Orleans type situation for several months and even though we're prepared,I have my concerns that two people would be enough to keep watch and protect against looters.Guess I'll have to scout around a little.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:32 AM

6,752 posts, read 8,534,016 times
First step would be to talk to your neighbors. You don't have to ask straight out, "Are you a Prepper", but you're in Florida, so ask about the hurricanes, were you here, what happened, what would you do for the next one?
You need to ease into the subject. Real preppers aren't going to come out and say something like "Oh yeah, I prep, want to come over and see my stores?".

Weather problems endemic to the area are an innocuous starting point to find out which ones will blindly follow the feds direction, and the ones you are looking for may tell you about water storage or generators, now you know which ones actually have some thing between their ears.

Go to the sporting goods stores. Fisherman in Florida are mostly recreation but may have some information about good spots to go to get fish for food and the equipment you need.
Hunters have to have at least some skills as well as weapons. They know where the game is and what conditions are likely to be in the wilds of the area, navigation, fire starting, what resources are wild in the area etc.
Gardeners and farmers markets, now you know food producers in your area.

Outdoorsmen like hunters and gardeners will be the ones that normally as part of their routine activities will have a stockpile of food.

I like HiW's idea about coin collector shows, there will be some there that are prepping by getting old silver coins for "JIC".

Preppers aren't a distinct breed and can be from any socio-economic stratus or background, and the serious ones won't advertise what they have or what they do.
But knowing the people that are likely to be prepping from their experiences with weather or their hobbies is a good place to start.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:15 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,912,966 times
Florida. A penninsula surrounded by the need for a boat.

If anything bad happens FL will be a blood bath. Heck it already is. On land and at sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness