Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:51 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

A Carrington Event is a huge solar storm and its effects can hit earth not long after it starts. the last huge one to hit the planet earth was in 1859 and destroyed what little there was then, such as telegraphs and the like.

The effects today or in the future would be catastrophic to say the least in today's modern world and would most likely destroy all computers, mordern vehicles and the power grid as we know it.

How do you think you would survive, and how do you think most people in the concrete jungles would survive?

Carrington Event: A Super Solar Flare - NASA Science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:43 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
How do you think you would survive, and how do you think most people in the concrete jungles would survive?
I don't much care how the concrete jungle monkeys survive. They had their chance to get out, same as I did.

Probably there is no way to cover all bases with something like this. If you are looking for a list of "I would do this to address this problem", I don't have one for you. I would be fine with using oil lamps, wood heat, bikes, camp fires, hauling hand-pumped water, and doing without the internet.

What is it, anyway, with this fixation on the internet??? Folks would find out plenty soon enough how to survive without the internet. It's a luxury during good times only.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Correction, the 1859 event did not destroy the telegraph system, it just caused outages, disruptions and damage to the longest of the exposed lines. The closest we have to a modern recorded equivalent that it;s impact and effect could be analysed was the 1989 geomagnetic storm that knocked out power to Quebec and caused other problems globally. These problems were not so much in the form of destruction but rather disruptions that took time to reset, repair or even understand what had happen.

The dangers we face today is that so much of our life depends on unprotected personal electronic devices that could be damaged or disrupted in such an event that the impact would appear to be more severe. However, anyone with the right alternative systems in place or live in an area already protected, wouldn't feel the effects as much as others. If you use POTS you may not notice the event, but if you have an iPhone, you probably will notice it. The most likely dangers one would face is the reaction of those who are not prepared. But since so many people who claim they are prepared also claim they are located 20 million miles from their nearest neighbor, I see nothing they have to worry about so it's kinda a mute point.

Now if a person was to research this concept and using NASA's own articles, they have long since stated that an event that could cause catastrophic damage to create a SHTF scenario just isn't likely. It's also important to note that an event like the 1859 event would not have had the same seemingly destructive outcome due to modernized protection. The 1989 event would impact people more severely because although we have better protections on our major systems, people are way to dependent on their mini electronic devices and connections to the point that few have alternatives in place.

Many of the people in the concrete jungles will be the first to feel the effects but also the first to regain normal services. If you look at the history of disasters or catastrophic events, who were the first to receive benefits, aid and service restoration? I wouldn't worry too much about them as they will be back to normal before they could mount some plan to raid the stash of canned veggies stashed under the back porch.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:01 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
A large scale storm of charged particles would fry most computer chips and microcircuits. It may or may not short out larger wire coils in motors, generators and transformers. So many of our govt & business services are now dependent on computers for records & communication that normal operations of daily life will become disrupted-- things like traffic lites, water supply and timely delivery of food to stores would be affected. Newer cars & trucks would probably become dysfunctional.

Comments above are correct: those in high population density areas are more dependent on others for their comfort and survival and will be more affected than those of us who live more frugally and independently.

I always wonder how did anybody ever survive before cell phones and those little wiper-blade thingies to clean the headlites on our Mercedes?

Old 04-21-2016, 06:34 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
Disclaimer - I didn't read the article.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.
A Carrington event is a massive solar storm/CME.
We have satellites watching the sun and it sees these events (at the speed of light).
A solar storm pushes its "stuff" towards earth at about 1 million MPH. That means we have a few days warning.
If there's a super massive storm headed our way, won't everyone be warned to shut things down?

Old 04-21-2016, 07:54 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
If there's a super massive storm headed our way, won't everyone be warned to shut things down?
Pretty much this.^

If monitoring such things are of importance to one's daily planning you can get a daily space weather forecast at SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

Just like watching the daily weather report on your local morning news to know if you need to carry your umbrella today, you can find out if there is a potential for electronic destroying CME's, so you can have your faraday cage ready to toss your iPhone into at the first sign of trouble.......

CN.......

Old 04-21-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Correction, the 1859 event did not destroy the telegraph system, it just caused outages, disruptions and damage to the longest of the exposed lines. The closest we have to a modern recorded equivalent that it;s impact and effect could be analysed was the 1989 geomagnetic storm that knocked out power to Quebec and caused other problems globally. These problems were not so much in the form of destruction but rather disruptions that took time to reset, repair or even understand what had happen.

The dangers we face today is that so much of our life depends on unprotected personal electronic devices that could be damaged or disrupted in such an event that the impact would appear to be more severe. However, anyone with the right alternative systems in place or live in an area already protected, wouldn't feel the effects as much as others. If you use POTS you may not notice the event, but if you have an iPhone, you probably will notice it. The most likely dangers one would face is the reaction of those who are not prepared. But since so many people who claim they are prepared also claim they are located 20 million miles from their nearest neighbor, I see nothing they have to worry about so it's kinda a mute point.

Now if a person was to research this concept and using NASA's own articles, they have long since stated that an event that could cause catastrophic damage to create a SHTF scenario just isn't likely. It's also important to note that an event like the 1859 event would not have had the same seemingly destructive outcome due to modernized protection. The 1989 event would impact people more severely because although we have better protections on our major systems, people are way to dependent on their mini electronic devices and connections to the point that few have alternatives in place.

Many of the people in the concrete jungles will be the first to feel the effects but also the first to regain normal services. If you look at the history of disasters or catastrophic events, who were the first to receive benefits, aid and service restoration? I wouldn't worry too much about them as they will be back to normal before they could mount some plan to raid the stash of canned veggies stashed under the back porch.

please remember that people in the cities have a 3 day supply of food, water and local services. they are also the most likely to rob and loot if those services and goods are disrupted. yes they may get services back up 1st, but if there is no services for 6 months or more, they will be looting and rioting in the streets.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Disclaimer - I didn't read the article.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.
A Carrington event is a massive solar storm/CME.
We have satellites watching the sun and it sees these events (at the speed of light).
A solar storm pushes its "stuff" towards earth at about 1 million MPH. That means we have a few days warning.

in 1859, there was a 5 minute window when the 1st effects of the Carrington Event started to happen.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:27 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
Quote:
in 1859, there was a 5 minute window when the 1st effects of the Carrington Event started to happen.
In 1859 we didn't have satellites that could tell us what was happening on the surface of the sun and providing results in a few minutes.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:35 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
True , but it is now 2016. That same event would have been detected within minutes of occurring and we would have had (as it was also the fastest moving storm) about 16 hours advance notice. So although it caught many with their pants down in 1859, that wouldn't be the case today.

Quote:
please remember that people in the cities have a 3 day supply of food, water and local services. they are also the most likely to rob and loot if those services and goods are disrupted. yes they may get services back up 1st, but if there is no services for 6 months or more, they will be looting and rioting in the streets.
But these events are not causing catastrophic events. They are causing mass disruptions and may damages many non essential items, but we are now more advance than we were 100 years ago and have the capabilities to deal with such an event quicker and more efficiently. The Quebec outage saw the majority of urban locations restored well within 9 hours and only the most remote outlying areas took longer. Wasn't it sometime in early 2000's people were panicking over this solar event that was going to destroy communications on earth and wipe out all satellites in space? What happened? They just close the solar arrays, turned the satellite backs to the storm, put everything on standby and once the storm passed, everything was back to normal. Even less drama on earth's communication.

So, although it's not going to be a walk in the park when such an event occurs, it's certainly not going to be some doom-and-gloom the sky is falling event. I would say a person who waste all their time worrying about what might be is most likely the one who will have nothing ready for what probably will be. A person can walk into 100 theaters every day and yell fire; and over the course of 50 years there is a chance one of them will really be on fire, did that person really get it right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness