Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Read the scenario and let me know what you think...based on current events
A - Head for the hills, get the log cabin and 2 years of provisions ready. It's time. 2 13.33%
B - I'm stocking gold and commodities this area will need. I'm trading my way through this. 1 6.67%
C - I'm looking for to start production from local resources to take advantage of large trade breaking down. (i.e lumber mill to woods) 1 6.67%
D - C is crazy, I'm making sure my boss likes me, being careful with my money and making sure my family all are in good positions. 7 46.67%
E - Sell it all. We're going to Vegas for one big bet while the currency is still worth something. 2 13.33%
F - Normally I'd kill you if I told you, but since you're a moron in the city it's about the same thing, so here's what I'm doing... 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:39 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I do love my adverbs.

Technically, the referendum that was voted on doesn't mean anything. The government will have to vote the repeal of its EU election.

When the US wants a significant change to the course of its country, such an ammendment to the Constitution, it requires 2/3 of the voting members to make sure the country is truly behind the change. A simple majority, it could be argued, is not a clear mandate for such a large change. Even in the polls running up to the vote, it appeared to change every day.

Thus, I think such a dramatic change for a government to take with such a narrow electorate mandate is stupid....but that is an opinion that I should have not included. (Losing a small fortune yesterday likely influenced the mood).

The point is this. What I see a lot of in prepper items are areas where people go to woods, get the mythical 40 acres and a mule and essentially live a fairly isolated life while a problem goes and passes and then moves on. There's nothing wrong with many of the survival tips, but I'm greedy. I'm also not physically great, I need medicine, and am very unhandy.

When SHTF, I've got to do it in the city. I left a rural paradise, because there was little for me to contribute there. I moved to Chicago and got a trade. I saw the Recession coming, thought Tech would fare better than anything else and then moved to Silicon Valley in CA.

Now, I don't know when, but the multiplier on money has been running fairly undisturbed for an amazing number of years. The next SHTF scenario will economic IMO. Long gone are the Ford plants where Steel goes in one end and finished cars go out the other...so a setback to globalization promises to kill industries because of input availability price.

Take Boeing vs Airbus. Right now, they compete for the same sales. Boeing makes a lot in Washington, but also in other states. Airbus makes some in Spain, France, Germany etc. If the EU fades, Boeing is going to crush Airbus in every market.

When that house of cards falls, and like the big earthquake always talked about....nobody know when. Some of us will want to survive in the cities, because people like me can't survive in the wild even with the best of conditions. Yet somehow those large cities in Europe, despite waves of fiat currency, plague, new governments, war etc....somehow those families survived and some thrived.

So the options are really, bug out, stockpile goods for trading later, take an industry (say flour is cheap now, but if trade breaks down, I could fill a void that could be done profitably), or conserve (save and get rid of debt) or gamble it....Those are what I see most people's options. I'm sure there are more.

One person plans on riding it out in a nice home in LA. He has solar panels. He has 12 months of food in his cupboard. He's gone to great expense to install a 30,000 tank of water under his home. He has a gas grill in his backyard. That isn't a typical, but he has another tank underground to be able to have grillout for a very long time. He knows his neighbors very well. He's very wealthy, but careful. I'd call him the perfect city bug out guy.

Another person has a warehouse that is filled with Jack Daniels. She figures those will be trade items. She simply assumes people will always want to drink and will want a recognized name. She has pallets of the stuff.

My neighbor has a full shop in his garage. He is good at repairing things. If he loses his job, he simply starts repairing things full time.

My wife and I have been attacking this economy first. We've been accumulating rentals (people still need a place to live) and have been doing well in this economy. I think the economic SHTF will be triggered by deflation, so after binging on offensive investments in the downturn (stocks, real estate) we've been defensively deleveraging our excess these past two years and buying a bit of gold. Of course, deleveraging takes a lot more time than leveraging. Things like Brexit are scary in case we don't get there fast enough. However, if rental rates go down and i don't have fixed interest to pay, I can lower rents to stay competitive. The losers are those that can't move with the price rate because they have debt to pay.

So I'm looking for other answers. People say California is a horrible place to do it. I think differently. But, the solution will likely be a bit more fluid.
Ya know, I realize it is a Sat. nite here in sweltering, all-too-humid, not-so-fun AZ but the "Jack D. stock" still (ha, get it, still??) caught me attencion' & thus I'm here. Wherever ever I go, there I am. Or somethin' as such.

Haha, ok hey a sidenote: met what he "claims to be" as a semi-prepper today in AZ but he's anti-Trump (oops, no politics) but here in dumpy S. AZ is that even a ? I'm sure libs love to hear him (& how can you prep if you're voting liberal upcoming, not that these votes will even for either one, count).

And b/c as we all know, who's going to be "placed or awarded" the throne of kings (formerly the Presidency ) but then again, I know far too many depressingly, ahem, who listen to NPR (Natl Propaganda Radio here) so par for the course as the s. west USA continues to fall into demise via these type folks & their errant thinking, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 02:23 AM

110 posts, read 86,700 times
Quote:
This was not a stupid vote. This was a sovereign nation standing up for what is rightfully hers -- liberty, independence and self-determination. The EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU. Anything to the contrary is just bluster.
I'd be very cautious with statements like that.
The Brexit is a really stupid decision of the Brits, because in order to have access to the EU marketplace, they still have to follow all of the rules, while having no impact on them whatsoever now that they are leaving.
You can't compare the weight of a 80 million people market with that of a 650 million market.
The UK was a net contributor to the EU, that's right, but only by a really thin margin (5 billion €), that peanuts compared to a 1.5 trillion budget.

I don't see a big issue for the rest of the world. The UK hasn't been a major power for decades now.

On a more personal note: what a waste. Millions of people voted out of something they don't understand, fired up by third rate politicians, based on false premises.
You can hate the EU, but it generates stability, a decent currency and a gigantic marketplace. It also limited the influence of Russia in Europe. I really hope it survives this crisis...

Old 06-29-2016, 04:09 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrr View Post
I'd be very cautious with statements like that.
The Brexit is a really stupid decision of the Brits, because in order to have access to the EU marketplace, they still have to follow all of the rules, while having no impact on them whatsoever now that they are leaving.
You can't compare the weight of a 80 million people market with that of a 650 million market.
The UK was a net contributor to the EU, that's right, but only by a really thin margin (5 billion €), that peanuts compared to a 1.5 trillion budget.

I don't see a big issue for the rest of the world. The UK hasn't been a major power for decades now.

On a more personal note: what a waste. Millions of people voted out of something they don't understand, fired up by third rate politicians, based on false premises.
You can hate the EU, but it generates stability, a decent currency and a gigantic marketplace. It also limited the influence of Russia in Europe. I really hope it survives this crisis...
As long as the EU remained an economic union, it was a good thing. But the arrogance of Brussels knows no bounds, and it began overstepping them. The attempt to federalize Europe politically and to strip the people of democracy and a vote on who ruled them, was more than a western developed country could stomach. So, too, was the effort to erase all cultural differences between countries, robbing Europe of her charm.

But the last straw was the migrant issue. Make no mistake -- Merkel and Hollande are GONE in 2017, over this issue alone. And yes, other countries besides the UK are interested in getting out of the EU as well. The EU will not survive in its current form. Perhaps they might try another go at it in the future, under better managed and less autocratic terms.

In the end, it matters not one bit what you and I think. This was the vote of the British people, who will have to live with the results of their choices.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
This poll strikes me in a humorous vein, I do not see a logical choice in it.

I see these looming threats as the highest in probabilities:
1) Our debt continues to escalate. This unchecked trend only has one outcome....an exceedingly poor one.
2) The Hildebeast wins and proves the allegations that she is dumb, crazy, and incompetent. The Hildebeast government makes a gun grab and civil war eventually breaks out.
3) Our enemies take out the power grid or hack the financial markets or...................(insert favored mega disaster here).

Every generation has thought it was the final generation. There is no guarantee that general prepping will be needed. As for me....I have remote land and the ability to store perishable goods in a cool, dry environment. So prepping becomes a more realistic alternative.

Investing in needed goods with a long shelf life? How could that go wrong? Firewood/fuel, food/water and self defense....they all make perfect sense.

I do have a problem with laws being in the hands of people that constantly demonstrably prove that they are hopelessly out of touch with reality. These are not stable times. Yet the gun grabbers are currently operating at a fever pitch. I am starting to conclude that liberals are simply out of touch with reality.

If the Hildebeast wins? Then I will be "all in" as a prepper.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 06-29-2016 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 08:15 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

It does little good to look at foreign elections, and as far as the national election here, one vote makes no difference. On a state or county level, yeah, one vote can make a difference, but the powers have already made their decisions so unless there is a voter turnout bigger than what they can sweep under the carpet, they will do what they will do and the people get scre wed again.

All I can do is the same as my family has done, living through Romans, Vikings and since William the Bastard took over England in 1066 AD. We make sure we can provide for ourselves, keep our butts below the line of fire, live remotely and just keep living.
My Uncles used to say they never knew about the great depression, (the one in the 1930's not the one in 2009-present), because they lived the same way they always had.

My family is pretty self sufficient, and can be more so if necessary. We live so far out in the sticks we have to pipe in daylight, but we are a low value target for any national dictator, so we can continue to survive and be fed and warm and fairly safe no matter who is on the throne in Washington.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:33 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
1. Be debt free.

2. Be cash heavy.

3. Hope for a flat out panic, when you can buy assets for pennies on the dollar.

Vast fortunes are made every time the economy goes **** up. Anybody over the age of 30 knows you can't trust an economy. Just be ready. The time to buy is when everyone else is jumping out of windows.
This describes my grandfather, who survived the Great Depression just fine.

First, he abhorred debt. If you can't pay for it, you have no business buying it!
Cash-Heavy. He built his own house, paying as he went, no debt. He always had the habit of saving, and accumulated a lot of savings. He began to start his own business, from his basement.

When the crash of 1929 hit, he used it as an opportunity to expand his machine business, buying machines for pennies on the dollar. He had quite a nice net worth at one time.

Unfortunately, my grandmother's medical bills wiped out nearly everything he had. She had leukemia. Medicare hadn't been implemented yet, GM died in May 1965, Medicare went into effect June, 1965. They tried to get at least some of the bills paid retroactively, but it didn't. Still, GF had enough to retire......

Old 07-14-2016, 12:06 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
It's kind of funny isn't it. Two weeks after this thread started the stock market hits all time highs - increases over 1,500 points and the rich get richer.

Every time anyone thinks it has to be the last straw, that thinks can't possibly go on as they are, the can gets kicked higher and further down the road and the insanity continues.

The simple fact is nothing on this planet is sustainable at present rates of consumption and population.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
It's kind of funny isn't it. Two weeks after this thread started the stock market hits all time highs - increases over 1,500 points and the rich get richer.

Every time anyone thinks it has to be the last straw, that thinks can't possibly go on as they are, the can gets kicked higher and further down the road and the insanity continues.

The simple fact is nothing on this planet is sustainable at present rates of consumption and population.

I just look at it this way. the roman empire did not last forever and neither will the USA. the USA in more than 200 trillion in debt with both funded and unfunded debt. sooner or later, the house of cards that the USA is built upon will come crumbling down, and when it does, I would hate to be a politician or living in any major city with a population of 10k or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness