Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:38 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Too bad, because the rest is sweet reason. In truth, the 50% who stop reading seem uninterested in the preservation of civil order anyway. Hence the term tinfoil hat brigade.

you do realize that if TSHTF does in fact happen nationwide or planet wide, then civil order will be in the very back of most peoples minds if at all. people will be more worried about where their next meal is coming from, or robbing/murdering/looting someone to get that meal to ever worry about civil order or rule of law.

most of the people in the rural parts of the country will be the ones still practicing civil order and rule of law, as they should have many months worth of food and other supplies on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:14 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
... most of the people in the rural parts of the country will be the ones still practicing civil order and rule of law, as they should have many months worth of food and other supplies on hand.
It seems that a lot of people are worried about hordes of urbanites flooding out into the countryside as armed bands of looters.

It seems to me that once law & order has been nullified in the cities the gangs will be focused mostly on each other, both in expending ammo and in consuming fuel. It takes a lot of fuel to get out into the countryside.

Here in rural New England, I do not see things changing nearly as much as it would in urban areas down South.

I produce my own food and electricity now. I can not imagine why I would stop just because SHTF.

We have a nice assortment of Open Carry and Concealed Carry, both are legal without any permits, both are encouraged. Unlike down South in the cities where firearms are restricted.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you do realize that if TSHTF does in fact happen nationwide or planet wide, then civil order will be in the very back of most peoples minds if at all. people will be more worried about where their next meal is coming from, or robbing/murdering/looting someone to get that meal to ever worry about civil order or rule of law.

most of the people in the rural parts of the country will be the ones still practicing civil order and rule of law, as they should have many months worth of food and other supplies on hand.
You couldn't be more wrong. This is kind of fantasy world that I described earlier.

Civil order will be the first priority, even if it means groups of people organizing themselves to impose it. There will be the shock to the system, then the reaction.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
... My bet would be someplace in the South. Long growing seasons. Lots of water and sunlight. Plenty of energy resources in terms of oil, gas, coal, and refining capacity. A strong transportation network, including river systems. A strong manufacturing base. A strong military culture and a cohesive, communitarian society. And, based on the original premise, $450K buys a lot of land out in the exurbs in those parts. The band from Texas across to Georgia and South Carolina would likely be the sweet spot.
I have seen people hang their hats on 'Long growing seasons'. In my region we generally have around 128 days of frost-free growing season, in Jacksonville, FL has around 263 days. We grow all of the standard garden crops; along with corn wheat, barley, oats, etc. We do have to pay attention to varieties sometimes as some varieties need a longer grow time than what we can support. With 4 to 5 acres of a market garden a person can feed and support a family.

You then there is mention of 'lots of water'. Drought-prone regions are not generally touted for 'lots of water' when those damn droughts come along. I grew up farming in California; which is the nation's highest Agricultural producer. They are also tormented with droughts. I chose to settle to a region that has never suffered from drought. If you want 'lots of water' you may want to look somewhere that has lots of water instead. As the number of farms nationwide is shrinking, we have more farms each year. Farming is growing in Maine.

'Strong military culture'; Alaska has the highest percentage of veterans, followed by Montana, and at third is Maine.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong. This is kind of fantasy world that I described earlier.

Civil order will be the first priority, even if it means groups of people organizing themselves to impose it. There will be the shock to the system, then the reaction.

you just do not know what I mean. many millions of people rely on both food stamps and their money being accepted to buy food at the local grocery store. when none of that works anymore, and people cannot buy their next meal, you will see people killing or looting others to get food to feed themselves or their children.

civil order will be on the back burner as people for the most part, will not give a damn until they know that they can feed themselves and their family. to put it another way, if you have a young child asking you where and when their next is coming from, you will not even have civil order in your mind, you will be out looking for or looting someone else to feed that child.

as far as being in a fantasy world, you just do not know what the concept of world wide SHTF really means.

that is one of the reasons that I live plenty far from any major city.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:40 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Unlike down South in the cities where firearms are restricted.
Southern New England? or are you talking about Dixie?

Old 07-15-2016, 03:01 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Not Dixie. Anything south of Bangor is the "south"!

Old 07-15-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I live in the Southern half of Maine, it seems that cities who restrict firearms carry are South of here.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:33 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
So you were referring to anything south of you. Got confused so used to the south meaning sweet tea drinking, 30 degree winters, dixieland south.

I feel like adding to the fact i doubt many people in Ma would think of going to Maine if the shtf, with the exception of the southern coastal area, most dont go much further north, and the few ive spoke to who know of Bangor (2nd largest city for non-mainers here), tend to view it as too rural. I doubt many would go to Aroostook County, and even if they did most wouldnt survive the cold winters, although a few would. I would expect more to run to the rockies, that seems to be were everyone likes (and it does hold great appeal). The winters there would finish the rest of them.

a nearbt town has 7k people, most people around here view that as too rural, for me (and many here) that is too urban. Many people here who tote their love of rural areas who have been just north of bangor hate it.

I would think the main risk is people from large towns in the area as opposed to out of state, for instance those in Missoula running to remote NW Mt, or people in Bangor to NW Aroostook, Or fairbanks to most of alaska, as they are used to the area. Boston to any of those areas would be too large a change for a large chunk of the population. Doable for some but not most, assuming they could get there, which is highly unlikley, especially if it was winter.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:04 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
I would think the main risk is people from large towns in the area as opposed to out of state, for instance those in Missoula running to remote NW Mt, or people in Bangor to NW Aroostook, Or fairbanks to most of alaska, as they are used to the area. Boston to any of those areas would be too large a change for a large chunk of the population. Doable for some but not most, assuming they could get there, which is highly unlikley, especially if it was winter.
Lots depend on why people have a need to migrate. If it's just financial, they tend to locations that are more fiscally stable with potential for employment. If it's food, they go where food is or where they think it can easily be produced. If it's civil strife, they look for small notably friendly locations. Nowadays, it's unlikely people will just wonder around like zombies. More likely they will have some known destination in mind.

If you read many people's reasoning as to why they live or plan to bug out to a certain location, it's all based on the convenience of what is currently available to them. They picked a location because it has surface water, or usable spoil, or woodlot, or wild game, or high speed internet, or a Walmart, or cheap land prices, or..... It's convenience of being able to live as they think they will be able to live - migration is no different. East travel to an easy place to live, with easy resources to acquire, to easy ability to fit in.... will always override safety, security and survival any day.

On the concept of people fleeing cities for urban areas, Aroostock County would be more attractive to those in Quebec City versus those in Boston. However, people being what they are, convenience in travel will still play a major role. So from QC or Bangor, the easier and more likely productive route would be along the routes of the major roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness