Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 05:53 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Have you every been to the "local general aviation" airfields in that region? Are you aware of their locations and community makeup? And where are you going to go if you do manage to get to the aircraft in one piece?

I have lots of clients in CA who own their own aircraft. In a SHTF scenario, none of them will be able to count on those resources unless it's parked on their property in their own hanger. I don't own an aircraft but in a SHTF event, if I get to the airport before the owner gets there, they are walking out of the area cause their resources will be mine. Unless you have it on you at that moment, you really can't count on anything else being available to you.
What's the difference from getting to the airport in one piece or getting out of the LA area in one piece. Ether way you have a problem. There are more then 30 General aviation airports in the LA area. Most aircraft a tied down outside and easy to steal. If you keep it in a hangar they will bypass your aircraft and go for an easier one to steal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
First off, lets look at the LA area. I would bet that most Angelenos are not prepared for a long term problem or issue. Most people are within 2 weeks of having no supplies in the home to sustain them. They live paycheck to paycheck. Preparing for a major event is not on their radar. Can you imagine millions of people trying to leave the LA metro area all at the same time?

Best thing to do is to live quietly within your own home for a period of time. I would say prepare for a 3 to 4 month stay. Do not make a lot of noise. Do not share the fact that you are prepaired for an emergency situation. Keep everything on the down low. When a new normal shapes up slowly get out and leave the area. The many people trying to make the move will be gone by then, The remaining people will be trying to figure out what end is up. Chances are good that if you can make it past the 3 month mark that things will change.

Lets say that things don't change. Why do we want to go to the Colorado River? What is the draw?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Someone even in the absolute best shape could not carry enough water to get even part of the way across.
There is nothing out there. Nothing. The old miners used to say it was a 2 mule trek from Barstow to Baker Just to carry enough supplies to get there.

The route that most people going to Los Angeles took from the east was following the Colorado all the day down to Mexico to Lake Salada.
Then they would follow a small creek that flowed off and on towards tecate then they traveled over the Otay mountains then down into the Sandiego area. Ill point out that it would be much more difficult today because almost all of the water sources no longer exist and the colorado river dosent flow into Lake Salada any more.

Last edited by Joe33; 07-15-2016 at 07:35 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 03:41 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
VERY good point. We hadn't considered that. Basically our shtf group is trying to decide where to stop them and how much ammo we are going to need to shoot all the LA people who think they are bugging out in our direction and that we are going to share our water with them.

How many of the million do you think could actually make it?
You can have 5,000 make it or you can have 1,000,000 make it. Let's look at another point that needs to be explored. Are these people ONLY on foot or will there still be hundreds of thousands with vehicles? An average car with today's gas mileage can make that trip with half a tank of gasoline. So although you say walk, that would requires a complete and sudden shut down of all fuel sources, public, private, hidden and untapped. Reality, that will not happen.

Even if everyone was on foot, unless they are only carrying a knapsack, there are over a million shopping carts in the LA area and I'm sure people can haul water in those. Or even a baby carriage makes a nice cart. Way too much is being placed on the limitation that these people are setting out with no water and there will be no water along the way. That would require that everyone in control of all the water sources (canals, rivers, stream brine lakes, etc) along the entire way have literally shut the tap or the source has miraculously dried up. Otherwise, water is available en route if the person knows where to look.

Here's another way to look at it. Does anyone really think the people in some of those resort golf communities of the Palm Desert area can put of a fight to protect the water in all the water hazards against a million people? What about all those decorative cactus people plant, even in lean drought periods, they can contain 30 or more gallons of water and after a rain, some can hold almost 200 gallons of perfectly usable drinking water.

Once again, we are not talking a trek trough the Sahara Desert, its the freeking Sonora and Mohave deserts; maybe 200 - 300 miles depending on the starting point near LA and where along the CR they end up.

Now, as far as what you need to protect your resources; I have to honestly ask, in a SHTF scenario as you describe, do you really think you will have water resources to protect? If you live anywhere south of Laughlin, every drop of water in the river or canals are put into that waterway. The only reason places south have water is because federal regulations require water to be sent downstream for others. If there is no government, they is nobody to enforce the treaty. That basically means you may have nothing to protect but a dried up river bed or concrete canal.

The folks from LA who make the journey who are carrying water may be the only water you see.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
What's the difference from getting to the airport in one piece or getting out of the LA area in one piece. Ether way you have a problem. There are more then 30 General aviation airports in the LA area. Most aircraft a tied down outside and easy to steal. If you keep it in a hangar they will bypass your aircraft and go for an easier one to steal.

Not me, cause if I'm gonna steal a plane I'm gonna steal a NICE one! But also - has to be one I can FLY!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:42 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
I do know for sure that I shall never again go anywhere near LA or kalifornia. hence the problem of walking over the hills and through the sand will never happen to me.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:11 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I do know for sure that I shall never again go anywhere near LA or kalifornia. hence the problem of walking over the hills and through the sand will never happen to me.
Well that's nice for you, but "I" live on the Colorado River. And the horde will land on our doorstep unless they descend on the central valley like a herd of locusts.

It's not looking like we have a viable long term solution here. If the Commiefornian's don't overrun us, Las Vegas - which dumps 2 BILLION gallows of treated sewage a year into the Colorado - and will be dumping it UNTREATED - and that will destroy any ability to use the river water for anything.

I'm thinking we need to just face it and figure on getting to our BOL if things go bad.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:22 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I couldn't (wouldn't) get to the Colorado River, but I could make it to my boat on my dirtbike assuming roads are clogged. My boat has a RO watermaker, so I could sit off the coast, fish, watch DVDs and wait for things to settle down or sail to Hawaii or beyond.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:27 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Well that's nice for you, but "I" live on the Colorado River. And the horde will land on our doorstep unless they descend on the central valley like a herd of locusts.

It's not looking like we have a viable long term solution here. If the Commiefornian's don't overrun us, Las Vegas - which dumps 2 BILLION gallows of treated sewage a year into the Colorado - and will be dumping it UNTREATED - and that will destroy any ability to use the river water for anything.

I'm thinking we need to just face it and figure on getting to our BOL if things go bad.

just so you know, if you live on the colorado, then you have to figure out is the river will even be flowing to where you are in a shtf situation. I figure if a shtf ever happens, then the colorado might not be flowing very far down stream. it does not take very much to stop the flow of water.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:48 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
The OP would do well to read Niven/Pounelle's "Lucifer's Hammer," which describes somewhat the same idea.

Being in rural north Alabama with a creek running through my property, I can't imagine going to L.A. and then trekking to the Colorado. Although... I do find the idea of starting in Maine and going EAST to get there an interesting idea.

South Florida has much the same problems. Sitting at the end of a peninsula, people trying to escape hurricanes have only three already overcrowded main routes for hundreds of miles. The solution is to not live in such places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness