Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:08 PM

7,486 posts, read 10,449,334 times

Advertisements

As a nation, we seem to be dependent upon air-conditioning during the worst of summer heat. I would go so far as to say that parts of this country would not be so thickly settled, without it.

Today in northern Maine, the temperature soared to 92F. I am not used to this. I spoke with my BIL, staying down at our TN place for the summer, and he reported that it was just above 80F, and beautiful.

This is only the second time in my 3 years up here that the temps have soared to over 90 degrees. Both times, I installed a window A/C unit in our kitchen. The forecast is for the high 80s for the next few days.

Those of you living in the deep south and southwest are probably laughing right now. But the reason I moved up here was to escape the mid-summer heat, as I cannot tolerate it. As it is, I get out for chores at 4:30 AM and am either back in the house by 10 AM, or out on the lake fishing in a shady spot. I am pretty much out of commission till about 7 PM. We are off grid, so I have to fire up a generator to power the A/C unit.

I would like to hear how other SS&P posters deal with the heat. Do you spend your summers moving between a car with A/C to a house with A/C to a job with A/C? Any of you in the southern states going hard-core A/C less? What would you do if there was a long interruption in grid power during peak summer heat?

I know that some people would die if that occurred. Maybe not the young and healthy, but some would. Do you live in a place where you cannot function without air-conditioning? How would you fare, without it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 07:39 PM

990 posts, read 2,546,552 times
What would I do?

Buy a generator and get that air CRANKING.

Consider.... We could probably survive standing barefoot on a pile of broken glass for an hour...

BUT.... Why would you, when you could just step off, and end the misery.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Buy a generator and get that air CRANKING.
And if the gas stations were off line, due to lack of power...?

Old 07-23-2016, 02:26 AM

7,985 posts, read 5,350,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
... Do you live in a place where you cannot function without air-conditioning? How would you fare, without it?
I could not function without the a/c. I would melt. I would be useless.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I could not function without the a/c. I would melt. I would be useless.
My sentiments exactly.

But if for some reason (esp power grid failure) you could not use it any longer, would you have to move to another part of the country? Could you adjust to not having it?

Old 07-23-2016, 03:55 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,919,653 times
Very few folks on our island (Hawaii island) have A/C due to the high cost of electricity. It doesn't generally get that hot, though because we're surrounded by ocean, but lately it's been reaching the high 80's if not up to the 90's in the dead of summer.

Our houses are built for heat, though, most of which may not work well in Maine. But, here's the list of typical things on our houses to keep the heat down.

Large eaves - usually at least 3 feet wide. That keeps the sun off the sides of the house. White roofs, white houses. The lighter the color, the less heat they absorb. High ceilings to give the heat somewhere to go. Cross ventilation of windows to let cooling breezes blow through the house. Siting the house so it's got good access to trade winds. Building up on post and pier foundations to let the breezes blow under the house. Ventilating the attic areas to let the heat out. Transom windows to let the hot air out above doors. Trees to shade the house. Giving it up and going to the beach to swim when it gets hot.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Very few folks on our island (Hawaii island) have A/C due to the high cost of electricity. It doesn't generally get that hot, though because we're surrounded by ocean, but lately it's been reaching the high 80's if not up to the 90's in the dead of summer.
I've always considered Hawaii to have the perfect climate year-round. Sad to hear that it's changing in summer. As for the houses, YES, I have seen some built similar to that in the deep south, and in Florida. I don't see why it wouldn't "work in Maine" -- I have no problem with the winter, just the summer. I don't care how silly the house would look in that climate!

Some folks here get cabin fever in winter; not me. I'm out in the cold and snow every day, but become a basket case with summer temps like this. At least I'm not in AZ or AL!

Old 07-23-2016, 07:09 AM

7,985 posts, read 5,350,163 times
Quote:
My sentiments exactly.

But if for some reason (esp power grid failure) you could not use it any longer, would you have to move to another part of the country? Could you adjust to not having it?
I have always lived in the mid atlantic east coast area. And since I am in my late 50's I grew up with hardly any a/c around. No car a/c, no central a/c, schools did not have a/c, etc. I don't know how we did it. I remember we finally got a window unit at our home when I was around 7 and we would all sleep in the living room on really hot Summer evenings. I went to Cairo several years ago and again no a/c. We had a fan at night. Somehow I survived for a week.

Could I adjust if I could no longer have it? I don't know, I would be pretty grouchy. I would have to move more North--I have always had a desire to move to a New England state.

Quote:

Some folks here get cabin fever in winter; not me. I'm out in the cold and snow every day, but become a basket case with summer temps like this. At least I'm not in AZ or AL!
I am just like you.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,304,506 times
The temps and humidity that we are having now would be a killer to Non AC homes with elderly and the sick. For the last 4 days our heat index has been in the 110-120 range (actual temps of 96-99), with humidity in the 80-90% area, dew points have been in the 80's.

So yes, we have an air conditioned house with AC on the main floor and another AC unit on the upper floor and all our vehicles have outstanding AC and I keep it that way. We are both in our 60's and I will not suffer in retirement.

Every summer we have a few weeks of these hotter temps, so this is not unusual.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:22 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,944,069 times
Fans can do wonders. Being on solar power, a/c is a no go. It rarely gets above 80 inside....plus a dry heat.

There are times when I wish my trucks a/c worked. Vents don't seem as effective as they used to be.

Personally I view the need to always be in the low 70's as wimpish. Lots of wimps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness