Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 02:27 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times

Advertisements

I like flashlights, I may have more flashlights than knives.

In my car, four cell Mag light with led conversion.

Nightstand, three cell rechargable Mag light. And a little key chain light I use for finding stuff without blinding myself.

Suitcase, two cell Mag light, LED & candle lantern.

Kitchen drawer, 250 lumen led, 2 180 lumen Coast from Home Depot. Bore light.

On my "combat" red dot Glock, 840 lumen TLR1HL.

On our ball caps, green or white clip lights about 80 lumen. Handy sometimes.

A single AA red lense light about 40 lumen, mainly as a cockpit light for flying at night. Also a 250 lumen tac light in my flight bag.

Black Diamond headband red/white, dim to really bright. Rarely use. The red is good for hiking at night. The white is too bright. I prefer the $5 green one on my ball cap.

Some other headband led for my spouse.

A couple of shake capacitor lights for after the batteries run out.

Solar lantern. Good for nights on the patio.

A red zipper light on my range bag. For nights on the range w/o ruining my eyes.

A bunch of throw away key chain lights.

Like a million cndlpwr rechargeable spotlight. Should use it more.

I think that's all. I should probably sell a few. Oh yeah, a couple of mini mag lights.

Had my mag lights for 20-40 years. New technology has surpassed them I think. Can't see spending $200 for some of the new tactical lights.

What do you carry? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 08:01 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
My list is similar.

Although I do have traditional mag lights, I don't use them much with their old incandescent bulbs and found their conversion kits more expensive than replacing the flashlight. Mrs RyanR picked up a couple 3-packs of the Duracell Durabeam 350-lumen flashlights at CostCo recently. They were $16 for a 3-pack. Seem nice flashlights for keeping in cars or wherever.
Here's the product on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Dura...durabeam+ultra

Around the house and for a "grab first" flashlight, we have some nightlight/flashlight combos. The flashlight stays in a cradle that sticks directly into a 110v outlet. It acts as a nightlight but when the power goes out, it's a flashlight that you know is 100% charged and already illuminated to see/find it for easy grab at night.
There's a lot of them but here's the one we have.
https://www.amazon.com/Eco-Lite-Func...ght+flashlight

Old 08-08-2016, 09:19 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
We've had lots of flashlight threads around here.

I don't bother with maglights because they are not LED, or weren't until recently (if they are...?).

My favorite handheld flashers are sadly no longer made, but I have 6 of 'em, so I'm happy. Defiant armored tactical (18" long) from Home Depot turned out to be the best flashlights I ever owned. They each take 3 D cells, but they last a very long time. They are made of aluminum, and with the rubber end caps, they don't break if dropped on concrete.

We have 4-5 odd-name brand LED headlamps that all work well.

My favorite light to take out with me remains the Stanley FatMax handheld 10W LED spotlight, which is bright as all hail. Why else do I love it? It's rechargeable, but with a Lithium battery, not the old-fashioned SLA. This thing will light up the night:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-SL10L...tmax+spotlight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness