Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: AR 15 or 12 Gauge or other?
AR 15 19 17.27%
12 Gauge 68 61.82%
Other: Please name it 23 20.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:58 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I'd recommend a 20 gauge or a .410 shotgun. They're fast, light, the womenfolk can utilize them with ease, and they are more easily maneuvered around corners and through doorways.

And ALWAYS go with buckshot. You want pellets that didn't embed themselves into intruder flesh to get stopped (or seriously slowed down) by two layers of drywall, and preferably more than that.

An AR-15 firing 5.56 is nasty stuff designed for penetration. You do not want to be shooting that through the walls of your home when you do not have a 100% headcount of family members.

a woman trained in manual use of firearms can use any firearm that they want to use. both of my teen daughters are trained in the use of a number of firearms including the PTR-91, AR-15, SIG-550, both the barrett 99 and mk-82, the CZ75, s&w 686, 29 and 629, Sig Sauer p220, Glock 17,19,20,21,22 & 43, ruger 10/22, ruger 44 carbine, ruger mk 2, remington 870, mossberg 500, benelli m4 tactical, winchester 30-30, M-1A, M1 Garand, browning hi power and quite a few other firearms.

all it takes is the willingness to teach someone willing to learn. a woman can use any of these firearms as my teen daughters have both proven to me, in fact they can out shoot me on quite a few of the above listed firearms as well.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:12 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
a woman trained in manual use of firearms can use any firearm that they want to use.
This is true. My wife can out-shoot me, and comes close to out-shooting her own brother. She's not afraid to try out anything! Two Christmases ago, I gifted her with a black Mini-14, which she requested. One of her favorites is my XD .45, which has the laser on the *****tinny rail.

Before I retired, we'd go to the gun club and shoot skeet. Yup, she hit more of them than I did. At the annual pheasant shoot, only one of the guys took more pheasant, and nobody could clean birds faster than she did. Nowadays when I'm processing chickens, she's right there with the pot of boiling water, and doesn't skip a beat while yakking non-stop with her girlfriends!

I sure married a good woman, all those years ago!

Old 08-13-2016, 10:31 AM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times
I have heard that women are often better shots than men however the assertion that women can be trained to use any firearm raises a question for me.

I have extremely little hands which with age have developed arthritis and I have fragile bones . (Life is hard, whine whine) . Weighing well well under 100 pounds and never hoping to see 5 feet tall, I feel terribly limited in what I can handle and now, what I could handle 20 years ago is more than difficult.
I had a titanium 38 long time back but the reduced weight played havoc with the recoil in my hand.

So if I were looking at shotguns, "semi-automatics" , handguns that would be kind to a little, old enough lady but have deadly force capacity, any suggestions?

Old 08-13-2016, 11:24 AM

890 posts, read 882,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
I have heard that women are often better shots than men however the assertion that women can be trained to use any firearm raises a question for me.

I have extremely little hands which with age have developed arthritis and I have fragile bones . (Life is hard, whine whine) . Weighing well well under 100 pounds and never hoping to see 5 feet tall, I feel terribly limited in what I can handle and now, what I could handle 20 years ago is more than difficult.
I had a titanium 38 long time back but the reduced weight played havoc with the recoil in my hand.

So if I were looking at shotguns, "semi-automatics" , handguns that would be kind to a little, old enough lady but have deadly force capacity, any suggestions?
Shotgun is out. 9mm carbines and handguns, and revolvers are the remaining choices. Loading magazines and racking slides can be difficult. Some choices would be:
a) A 38 special revolver in steel, such as a Smith & Wesson model 64. You can **** and fire the gun single action.
b) The Beretta model 86 with a tilt barrel for loading is no longer imported into the US, maybe could still be found used. It is .380 acp.
c) A 9mm carbine would be a good choice. Take a look at these:
Top 7 9mm Pistol-Caliber Carbines
Loading the magazines is the hard part, but there are tools that can help load the mags. They come standard with Glocks for example. The Kel-tec sub2000 would be my recommendation:
KELTEC SUB2K GLOCK 19 GEN2 Model
or can buy here:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?C=383

This runs around $500-600, and is now available. Use with 147 grain 9mm hollow point ammo, so there is no supersonic crack - it will be quieter if you have to fire inside.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
... I have extremely little hands which with age have developed arthritis and I have fragile bones . ... I feel terribly limited in what I can handle and now, what I could handle 20 years ago is more than difficult. ... I had a titanium 38 long time back but the reduced weight played havoc with the recoil in my hand.....
mzfroggez yours is not a unique problem (I train folks in AZ and many have the same problem). Firstly, do not go out and buy any firearm until you've had a chance to actually fire it and see if;

>You can manipulate the gun's action

>Can comfortably handle the firearm's recoil (you found out the hard way that a light handgun means lots -lots!- more recoil!)

If the handgun is a semi-auto (which I'm a bit dubious about or an occasional user to attempt to utilize as a personal defense sidearm) then you must be able to bring the handgun's slide to the rear in order to load the handgun.

I would urge you to try revolvers first. If recoil is an issue then either a .22 magnum from Ruger or S&W might be of value. Again, shoot them first as the trigger pull on .22 revolvers tends to require more finger strength than with center fire handguns.

Find a local indoor range that rents handguns and see if they have any .22 handguns you might try. The Ruger LCR is a good option, as is the S&W 351c.

If none of the above work out, take a look at the Ruger Bearcat in .22 long rifle caliber. The little gun has a 4" barrel, no recoil and requires you to pull back on the hammer for each round you wish to fire.

Best of luck,

Rich

Old 08-13-2016, 01:15 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
If a beginner is looking at a semi-auto, I'd suggest a Ruger MK2. Everything about that gun is easy to use. Although disassembly is a little tough the first few times as they're pretty tight.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:30 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Actually, I prefer methods that keep the riffraff out of my house, so I don't have to mess up the rug.

The idea of having uninvited strangers wandering about my house, and bleeding on the wife's Persian repulses me.

We did, once, have a couple of guys brave the floodlights, Holly and Firethorn, and double locked windows and 911 auto-dial once, only to come face to face with the wife with her .45 and Roscoe (our Rottie). She didn't have to fire a shot, and they left enough biological evidence on the thorn bushes for the police to solve it fairly quickly, along with a number of recent burglaries in the neighborhood.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:39 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Way it sums up for us is; 38 revolver for I, g/f a 22 revolver (Ruger, I guess). A 12 gauge & an AR 15 as needed, ha, as needed, ha, not yet -- but if civil unrest occurs. Yes, I know, that sounds nuts but it seems imminent w/ this govt. Need I say more?

Thus, 4 guns = 2 hand & 2 long. Sound good, all?

Old 08-13-2016, 07:41 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
This runs around $500-600, and is now available. Use with 147 grain 9mm hollow point ammo, so there is no supersonic crack - it will be quieter if you have to fire inside.
If you NEED to fire weapon, the last thing I would worry about is noise!

Old 08-13-2016, 08:25 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
If you NEED to fire weapon, the last thing I would worry about is noise!
The report in an enclosed area can make you a casualty even if you survive the moment. A quieter weapon helps keep you on target and laying effective fire. It's certainly not the only consideration, but it rates with secondary factors like recoil and muzzle flip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness