Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Warnickel, 1943-S in change at Walmart. Its a solid EF. Considering that it contains .0562 oz. Ag, 5c is a very good price. It's interesting that even a find worth less than a dollar can thrill a hard money man.

I got a dateless Liberty Standing Quarter about a year ago. That was the last silver coin before this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 12:36 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
HiW, do you ever ask for rolls of half dollars at the bank? I used to, and found a lot of silver halfs in there. Nobody wants to bother with halfs nowadays, which ups the odds. A PITA I suppose, but finsing a silver half for 50 cents is not a bad deal, either!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
HiW, do you ever ask for rolls of half dollars at the bank? I used to, and found a lot of silver halfs in there. Nobody wants to bother with halfs nowadays, which ups the odds. A PITA I suppose, but finsing a silver half for 50 cents is not a bad deal, either!
Yes, but it's a long time since I found anything. I'll be at the bank today; I'll ask for a few rolls. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
regular hand saws and a lesson from the next door neighbor on how to sharpen them without using modern tools.
The files are easy, but most people forget the die to put the set back in the teeth.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
"If it's Hillary, it's War." Vladimir Putin....he seems like a pretty serious fellow.
Yeah, Putin knows he has Trump by the short hairs. The Russians own Trump, and could bring his financial house of cards down at any time. He wants Trump to be president so bad he is drooling at the prospect.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Auction coming up this weekend about 70 miles north of me, a blacksmith is retiring and selling out. He was mostly art, but his tools are the same as I use and he has a lot of them.
Depending on weather and the remoteness of the sale, it could be a great place to get a new portable forge or a power hammer, and there are a lot of hand tools listed.

If the artsy-fartsy crowd shows up it will destroy the sale as they like to pay more than new price for stuff so instead of using the tools, they like to hang it on the wall as a decoration.

Still, there is some good stuff being listed, should be able to get a few things anyway.
I doubt that the artsy fartsy crowd will want a power hammer. They would also have trouble hanging a portable forge on the wall, but I have seen them at craft fairs and farriers use them. Generally it's easier to bring the horse to the forge than the forge to the horse. A portable forge is great for generating sales at craft fairs.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Well, just put the down-payment on my parent's ranch this weekend, so started that process. It's a 5 year contract, so I'll have that resource set up soon enough.
Bought a new SMAW 225 Lincoln arc welder at auction with hood, gloves and 15LBs of 6010 rod for $60,
and a bundle of 15 traps for $4.00 each. Got 2 traps big enough for wolves or mountain lions, several for coyote/beaver size, and some for martin/muskrat, and some of them were old kill traps with extra jaws which are worth quite a bit on the collector market.

The auction I went to was for an artist "blacksmith" so he didn't have a lot of usable tools, and the idiots were out in force.
Guy had a 220 lb anvil, nothing special, and it had been resurfaced by welding a plate of steel on top to create a new work surface. Unless those are heat treated after welding, it can create stress in the steel and fracture when struck, so not a good idea unless you know what you're doing.
You can get new anvils of that size for $600 - $800 bucks, but at the auction, that one went for $1000

An old galvanized milk bucket with a couple of busted up hammers, a couple mushroomed chisels and some other rusty junk in it went for $95.

Why go to an auction if there are people willing to pay far more than new price for stuff like that????
In a rural board I ran across one of the best "home hints" that I have seen in years. After you dry your welding rods out in the oven, use a seal-a-meal to vacuum seal them in packs of about 5 to 15 rods each. Beats hell out of left over rods becoming useless because they have drawn moisture, or having to spend a day cooking the moisture out of them before you can use them.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
got a new all american 41 qt. pressure canner, my old canner finally bit the bullet after 24 years of use.
Score! I'm still using a canner that uses the rubber seal, but would love to move to the metal seal All American.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yeah, Putin knows he has Trump by the short hairs. The Russians own Trump, and could bring his financial house of cards down at any time. He wants Trump to be president so bad he is drooling at the prospect.
The best thing that Trump could do would be to give Putin Syria and the rest of the Muslim world. This country could ship back all the Muslims who have come here. We don't need them.

We don't need war. Switzerlnd has done very wel as a neutral nation.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes, but it's a long time since I found anything. I'll be at the bank today; I'll ask for a few rolls. Thanks for mentioning it.
The teller checked the vault. They had forty-three halves. None was silver. Silver disppeared in the West before it did in the East. I realize that I only got a few today, but I looked at a bunch years ago with the same result.

I did do some placer mining last summer with fair results. I paid for the equipment that I bought and other expenses (but I did not pay with the gold) and I do like the shiny. I've been further processing black sand.

While I was in town today I stopped at Albertson's; the first Thursday of the month is geriatric day. They actually have the best price on Meica Pork Frankfurters from Germany. It's a tasty product that doesn't require refrigeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness