Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 03:55 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times

Advertisements

Looks interesting. Any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
I own a base camp SS model, and had bought it about 5 years ago when my oldest grandson was still in scouting (he's in college now). We took it camping with us for a couple of summers, and it works very well. A bit pricey, and not the most compact way to cook. But if you want it as a back-up way to purify water and cook when the grid is down, I highly recommend!

Oh, yeah - I bought him a scout model kettle, because he liked it so well. I think he got another badge for demonstrating and reviewing it for his scouting group.

It's the best way I know of to heat water for coffee at the same time as scrambling your breakfast eggs, without a 2-burner stove!

Old 09-13-2016, 11:15 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times
Nor, again much thx. Can't rep you tho tried for days, haha.

Ok, well I'll consider it then as a possibility.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:07 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,721 times
Secure it, my got stolen.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:40 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
A bit pricey, and not the most compact way to cook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Secure it, my got stolen.
I have kept mine in the back of my crew cab since I got it, so I'd always know where it was for camping (and who knows? I may have an emergency in the snow...). So it's under a lot of junk back there, and hasn't been stolen. A lot of people apparently want one of these things, but can't justify the cost.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:42 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
I had to google this as I've never heard of it. I'm a big fan of portable rocket stoves. They can easily be built for free to cheap in less than an hour and make extremely hot quick fires from twigs and branches collected off the ground. http://theselfsufficientliving.com/1...-small-spaces/

The Kelly kettle looks interesting but I don't see myself buying one anytime soon.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:25 PM

375 posts, read 608,835 times
I have the stainless steel base camp model. Got it for camping and emergency use. Yes, it's pricey but well made and will probably outlast me.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:17 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
In a related sort of way, the "Wonder Pot" / aka / Omnia Stovetop oven, has a chimney and can do baking / cooking. Being lightweight aluminum, it probably can be used for camping and boating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Pot
Wonder Pot is an Israeli invention for baking on top of a gas stove rather than in an oven. It consists of three parts: an aluminum pot shaped like a Bundt pan except smooth-sided rather than fluted, a hooded cover perforated with venting holes, and a thick, round, slightly domed metal disc with a center hole that is placed between the pot and the flame.
. . .
The Wonder Pot produces high and airy cakes. In addition to baking, the Wonder Pot is an effective medium for cooking vegetables, legumes, and rice in layers. It can also be used to cook kugels, casseroles, pasta dishes, meat, and chicken.
. . .
The oven | www.omniasweden.com
. . .
Available here:
Sea Dog Boating Solutions - Omnia Stove Top Oven
. . .
Israeli import here:
http://www.weissjudaica.com/system/s...gi?product=100

Old 10-17-2016, 02:29 PM

136 posts, read 135,696 times
Just bought my first one. I've been rebuilding my supply of gear post-divorce and this was an item that had been on my to-get list for literally years.
The first event I had planned on using it at was downgraded from an overnight camping event to an evening around a campfire with co-workers, but I am sure it'll see use here before too long

Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,721 times
Buy the "Big Berkey" instead, no need for a fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness