Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:59 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,930,525 times

Advertisements

A lot of us off gridders use propane. Now that we may get it for $1/gallon during the slow summer months, we may wish to "stock up".

A friend of a friend is a scrapper. He sometimes cuts up old propane tanks and uses them on trailers. So I might get a cheap price.

I figure an empty tank is probably a leaker. Who runs all of the propane out of a tank then lets it sit and turn to scrap?

Is it feasible to buy and replace the valves? I have heavy duty tools that allow for significant torque to be applied. I have also done significant plumbing (mostly on reef tanks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,427,882 times
I frequently use our 1,000 gal tank to refill both grill tanks and 1-pounders, but the valves on all of them are OK (I assume). An older, scrap tank may not have an OPD (overfill protection device) and I'm not positive that a propane company will fill such a large tank, without one. You can ask.

If the tank has not been pressure-tested or purged, it may not be safe to use. I would think in that case, the valve may be the least of your problem. I am certain that you can buy and replace the valves. But you should think about the rest of the tank, as well.

Can you find a propane company that will test the tank for you? It can't be that expensive. Even if you find a place that will fill it, do you want the danged thing to explode on you? Or more likely, lose all its gas due to a metal fatigue leak? Propane, due to the pressurization, is not something I'm comfortable man-handling. Diesel, gasoline, and kero are fine to handle, but are not under pressure.

It costs nothing to call and ask about testing the tank. A propane company wants your business.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 AM

Scuba tanks routinely handle 3000 pounds of pressure strapped to your back. Propane tanks run at a couple hundred pounds while being built to handle much, much more. The tank is not going to "explode" unless it is really rusted out.

Of course a visual inspection will be conducted. They use gauges on the larger tanks, overfill protection devices on the small bar-b-que tanks. They fill to 80% during the summer, 90% during the winter.

You just lectured on propane tanks without understanding the difference between a 500 gallon tank procedure/protocol and a bar-b-que tank procedure/protocol. Thanks for the effort of course.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:04 AM

6,741 posts, read 8,501,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Scuba tanks routinely handle 3000 pounds of pressure strapped to your back. Propane tanks run at a couple hundred pounds while being built to handle much, much more. The tank is not going to "explode" unless it is really rusted out.

Of course a visual inspection will be conducted. They use gauges on the larger tanks, overfill protection devices on the small bar-b-que tanks. They fill to 80% during the summer, 90% during the winter.

You just lectured on propane tanks without understanding the difference between a 500 gallon tank procedure/protocol and a bar-b-que tank procedure/protocol. Thanks for the effort of course.
One main difference, the o2 in your scuba tank isn't flammable. It allows fire to burn, but doesn't burn on it's own.

When I was on the fire department, we routinely trained on handling propane tank fires. Changing the valves is no big deal, but even a small seepage in a propane tank is dangerous. No, they don't "explode" unless you release all the propane at once and ignite it, similar to a dust bomb. Otherwise, you just have this huge torch blasting away and setting other things on fire.
It's a good idea to have it inspected and approved by someone who knows what they're doing. Cheap insurance.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:01 PM

I'm more worried about the plastic pipe that delivers natural gas to most homes. A natural gas explosion could take several homes and lives.

I am talking about replacing the only moving part on a steel barrel capable of handling ten times the pressure that it carries. How much more safety can one exercise? Have an "expert" poke a light inside it and certify it? OK....fine.

If I got a massive propane leak, one guy and his pets could die....in theory. If I tried really, really hard.

I was certified firefighter in propane country. Propane fires were never encountered or mentioned. Firefighter I exam score: 96

Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM

6,741 posts, read 8,501,590 times
You do what you want, you will anyway and don't need anybody to validate or support your conclusions.

If you don't want answers, you shouldn't ask the question.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:29 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,956,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You do what you want, you will anyway and don't need anybody to validate or support your conclusions.

If you don't want answers, you shouldn't ask the question.

BINGO !

Why do people start threads pretending to want advice when all they want is validation and then get snarky on anyone who doesn't validate ?

Old 09-16-2016, 04:31 PM

This is the question: Anybody replaced the valves on a 500 gallon propane tank?

What I got was lectures from people who apparently know less than me. I was looking for somebody who knows a lot more than me.Any propane expert could tell me exactly what to do.This particular section of C-D is brimming with government Thought Cops...probably filling out dossiers on preppers.A 20 trillion deficit that has more than doubled in less than eight years is clearly nothing to be the least bit concerned about. Says their employers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
BINGO !

Why do people start threads pretending to want advice when all they want is validation and then get snarky on anyone who doesn't validate ?

Old 09-16-2016, 05:02 PM

7,485 posts, read 10,427,882 times
Quote:
This particular section of C-D is brimming with government Thought Cops...probably filling out dossiers on preppers.A 20 trillion deficit that has more than doubled in less than eight years is clearly nothing to be the least bit concerned about. Says their employers.
You by any chance related to UNHappy in Wyoming? Same mentality toward gubment employees. I am not one, never have been. The rank and file work as hard as anybody else, and deserve some respect. They are not the politicians, who make the stupid-axe policies that drive all of us nuts - not just you.

I read very carefully, and nobody here "lectured" you. In my case, I have family to watch out for, and that is the lens I see things through. If you don't want any CDers to care about you, or your safety, we won't.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:04 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,956,751 times
Quote:
A lot of us off gridders use propane. Now that we may get it for $1/gallon during the slow summer months, we may wish to "stock up".

A friend of a friend is a scrapper. He sometimes cuts up old propane tanks and uses them on trailers. So I might get a cheap price.

I figure an empty tank is probably a leaker. Who runs all of the propane out of a tank then lets it sit and turn to scrap?

Is it feasible to buy and replace the valves? I have heavy duty tools that allow for significant torque to be applied. I have also done significant plumbing (mostly on reef tanks).

( 3rd paragraph ) Why did you even add that you presume it is a leaker ?

and to answer your question in 3rd paragraph.............no one !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness