Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:38 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times

Advertisements

I love to own a large parcel of land(~50 acres) but the land that goes for a $1000 an acre is basically unusable unless you want to sink 100s of thousands of dollars in it. Not bad for daydreaming though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 05:23 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am amazed that in 2016 you can just grab that much land, clear cut it and make it your own, even in Alaska. I don't think there is an an inch of land that somebody doesn't own. And how much does it cost to clear that much land? When I needed tree service, they wanted 5 grand to cut down ONE tree.
We had no problem buying 150 acres of forest here in Maine.

Thwre are much larger parcels of forest adjacent to me that are for sale now. They have been on the market for over 10 years.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Far northern NH isn't bad, either. This summer, my brother and I picked up 86 acres for $42K ($23K each) up near the tip of the state (which is lower than my place in Maine).

It's in pristine but rough shape, not having even a proper road leading in. It will have, soon! When we start firing up the chainsaws this fall, we'll be dreaming of what we're going to build. A hike in showed potential for some pretty nice views. My BIL (wife's bro) wants in, too -- he's the hunter in the family, and already has his tree stand trees picked out! I can see a glass-fronted A-frame hunting camp going up.....
We got our 150 acres of forest with river frontage for $70k.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:38 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
And how much does it cost to clear that much land? When I needed tree service, they wanted 5 grand to cut down ONE tree.
It costs a few gallons of gas for the chain saw. On urban or suburban properties, I understand that due to surrounding houses, power lines, and public roads, it may not be possible for a homeowner to take down one or two problem trees. But out in the backwoods, you just cut 'em and stump 'em and let 'em fall where they may. And if you're using the trees for cordwood or to corduroy a road, you don't have to pay anybody to cart it away, either!

Old 09-23-2016, 05:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Ah well, this is New Hampshire, after all, not Maine. We had to go all the way to the northern tip to find really undeveloped land. Most of NH is "Greater Boston" as well you know!

Surprised nobody caught my math error. Half of $42K is $21K, not $23K!

Old 09-24-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
That's awesome! What gives me pause is that if the place is one day drive from where I live and once I get there it is all wooded land, what do I do with it? What are your plans? I am thinking as something you may leave behind for your children. Are the boundaries clearly marked so you are not worried about people encroaching?

Old 09-24-2016, 12:05 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
Quote:
Nice! That is a smoking deal, even without the water frontage....
I've learned enough from you guys to know that if I ever do buy property in rural Maine, it will only be my "camp" that I visit and never our primary dwelling .

Old 09-24-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
That's awesome! What gives me pause is that if the place is one day drive from where I live and once I get there it is all wooded land, what do I do with it? What are your plans? I am thinking as something you may leave behind for your children. Are the boundaries clearly marked so you are not worried about people encroaching?
Right now I have about 5 acres fenced off with a herd of pigs in it. I plan to fence more off, into 10 acre paddocks, for pigs. I cleared 1 acre, I built a house, planted a fruit orchard, grapes, blueberries, etc. About 10 acres of our land produces fiddleheads and maple. We get a good deal of chaga, reishi, and turkey tail on our land, along with some ginseng. Most years a bear hibernates on my land, we commonly see moose, deer, wild turkey. I let one of our neighbors run trap-lines on my land, he gets bobcat, coyote and beaver.

It was surveyed, the corners have survey posts, the lines are blazed.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Nice! That is a smoking deal, even without the water frontage...
We have 2 parcels of land. The watefront parcel sold for nearly 3X the parcel without waterfrontage.

There is forest land adjacent to me that has been on the market [off and on] for 10 years now, asking $200/acre.

Quote:
... I've learned enough from you guys to know that if I ever do buy property in rural Maine, it will only be my "camp" that I visit and never our primary dwelling .
We love it here.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:

There is forest land adjacent to me that has been on the market [off and on] for 10 years now, asking $200/acre.
Sure you are not missing a couple of zeros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness