Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 03:27 PM

385 posts, read 345,658 times

Advertisements

So how does one store food long-term in a stable temperature with no electricity? I also live somewhere with big temperature swings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 03:50 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
So how does one store food long-term in a stable temperature with no electricity? I also live somewhere with big temperature swings.
The only way I know of is underground.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:24 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
I keep our food storage out in a pole barn, which I also use as a garage and shop.

In summer, it doesn't get very hot in there, maybe 70 to 75F. In winter, it would get really cold in there, but I semi-heat it to about 50 to 55F, with a propane heater. I do that because we have a couple of 2,000 gallon water tanks on one end, and I don't want those to freeze when we get to -20 for a few weeks at a time. It's also better for the cars and mini tractor if the engine blocks don't get that cold.

So, I'm looking at about a 20F difference year round, which is perfectly fine. If you are in NH, I'll bet you have a garage, basement or elsewhere that you could do the same with.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:31 AM

385 posts, read 345,658 times
I do have a garage that is a bit of a walk away from the house, but it is a large garage. Badly insulated but mostly because it was empty for a couple of years and critters have really messed up the insulation which was exposed. It used to be heated and has some kind of old and decrepit heating system but I highly doubt it works anymore. I'd be nervous having a propane heater running unsupervised out there.

I do have a 3/4 height basement - not quite a "real" basement and not quite a crawl space. It has stone walls and a dirt floor. Access is by a trap door in the floor with a ladder going down. I had been thinking this might make a good root cellar but it's too much of a hassle to get up and down for regularly used items. I don't know how cold it gets down there or how hot. I keep meaning to get a remote thermometer but keep forgetting to do so. I did put heat tapes on the water lines down there. I'd mostly be concerned about attracting critters down there by doing so.

Thanks for explaining your setup, Nor'eastah. It's given me some options to think about!

Old 01-21-2018, 10:32 AM

731 posts, read 678,780 times
How about the old fashion root cellar idea? Sure its damp but you have to have the stuff waterproof anyway.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:19 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
My problem where I am is not storing the food I have a lot of 30 years storage, [and I do happen to be a Mormon]
Problem is both having enough or a supply of water. and also a good cooking source. I do have propane camping stove larger two burner style. and I have a rocket stove, but unless I want to go outside to cook with them it would be dangerous to use in the house.
I live on a lot only slightly bigger than the house, so not a lot of room and others are very close by. I expect in an emergency situation they would be coming after us for food especially if I am cooking it outdoors. and what water I have stored would last about two days.
Our furnace is broken at the moment and will take about a week to fix, but even fixed, not sure it would run without electricity and natural gas.
Also I have no money to buy more water storage units.
retired, and disabled on fixed income SS.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:43 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I expect in an emergency situation they would be coming after us for food especially if I am cooking it outdoors.
I do have an inexpensive solution to your cooking problem. It's called a butane stove. You can get them on Amazon for $20 to 25. (Sorry cannot link, as I am on a tablet). It's a compact, light weight single burner stove with adjustable flame, and is absolutely safe to use indoors. It takes canned butane, and will cook for about 14 hours on one can. We have a couple of them, and we often use them when we need an extra burner for holiday meals.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
My problem where I am is not storing the food I have a lot of 30 years storage, [and I do happen to be a Mormon]
Problem is both having enough or a supply of water. and also a good cooking source. I do have propane camping stove larger two burner style. and I have a rocket stove, but unless I want to go outside to cook with them it would be dangerous to use in the house.
I live on a lot only slightly bigger than the house, so not a lot of room and others are very close by. I expect in an emergency situation they would be coming after us for food especially if I am cooking it outdoors. and what water I have stored would last about two days.
Our furnace is broken at the moment and will take about a week to fix, but even fixed, not sure it would run without electricity and natural gas.
Sterno is used as a fuel in restaurant buffets and other indoor settings. They make a small stove for camp and emergency use. Sterno is just jellied alcohol. There are other brands of fuel which are identical but far lower in cost. I have the stove and have tested it; it works fine indoors.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sterno-Stov...rno+camp+stove

https://smile.amazon.com/FUEL-chafin...ish+fuel&psc=1

Old 01-21-2018, 05:04 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Store what you eat.

Eat what you store.

Grow what you eat.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
It's time to change your buying habits.

Quote:
I am an Acorn person myself, get mine through Amazon Prime but pay another $4.99 a month for it. Love the British and Canadian shows on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness