Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 05:22 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,626,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
I don't know a single Christian that prays for the end of the world. And of the tiny number that might do that... they are hardly a "severe social problem".

You want to see a severe social problem? Turn on your TV and watch protests by Black Lives Matter and their affiliated Marxist agitators. THAT is a social problem.
You don't pay much attention to current events, do you?

Bible Prophecy The Apocalypse and Armageddon

Yeah, cops gunning down unarmed people in the streets is a social concern, but as long as you're white it's not a big threat. I don't see the need to bug out until somebody in power rips off all the bandaids and the roving mobs turn white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I don't see this happening anytime soon. In fact, there's a trend toward homesteading, off-grid lifestyles, DIY, home gardening and livestock, and simple country living. People are tiring of the rat race, and can't afford it anymore. For you to not see this trend, just shows your biases.
You are 40 years out of date. The Back-To-the-Land movement happened in the '70s. Most of them didn't make it, but a few did. If you are talking about the Redoubters, they are just being fleeced of their assets by con artists. They will spend a few years homesteading, then they will be back to town in their assisted living apartments, minus a big wad of money they spent on a fantasy.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:00 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You are 40 years out of date. The Back-To-the-Land movement happened in the '70s.
I'm not talking about 40 years ago. This is a new movement, and a new wave of countrysiders. Most of us here have been rural dwellers for a good long while. We've into building, welding, blacksmithing, farming, ranching, business, machinery, community service, and almost all of us live in climates with severe winters. We plow our own snow. We heat with wood, and mostly cut it ourselves. We can our own food, hunt, fish, and butcher our own meat.

If you are looking for a good fit, this sub-forum may not be it. You will not convert any of the regulars here to liberalism, won't pick up any votes for Hillary, and won't lure any of us back into the cities. Our philosophy here just doesn't lend itself to that. We are a group of older, conservative guys in our 50s, 60s and 70s. We live all over the country, in mostly rural areas. We pride ourselves on being as self-sufficient as possible, and have little use for anybody who depends on the gubmint for anything. We work for our living, and are not afraid of work.

You know what you can do with your Section 8 housing. We'd build our own, first!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:09 PM

6,874 posts, read 7,851,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
With the election polls evening up, it looks like there is a real possibility that Trump might win. If he does, life in the good old US of A will change radically.

1. He will let congress cancel Obamacare. Health insurance companies will shed high risk clients like a golden retriever sheds water after a swim. Right now, 90% of Americans have health insurance. A year after Trump we'll be back to the pre-Obamacare 70%, and the ones who get dumped are the ones who are really sick.

2. Congress is itching to shed Medicare. If we end up with Ryan's voucher plan, it's going to get expensive fast.

3. His tax cuts for the rich program will bump our national debt from 80% of GDP to 102% of GDP in 10 years. On the plus side, a massive government borrow-and-spend program might finally bring down the dollar, at the cost of rapid inflation. If he really manages to default on foreign debt like he says, the dollar will turn into toilet paper overnight.

I have never been much into metals, but I think if Trump gets elected it will be time to buy gold and silver. I'm really hoping that congress buys the $650 million debt he owes to the Russians and Muslims. It's uncomfortable to think of the US president's finances being in the hands of Russians and Muslim religious fanatics. He has already said that he wants to give the Arabs nukes, and that would let the nut cases in the Middle East start a nuclear war. If that happens it really will be TEOTWAWKI.

What kind of plans are you making?
Now I'm thinking about buying gold.......

Regardless of who is elected, no way I'd bug out. I'm staying put. This is my country, too, dangit, and the only way I can help fix things is to stay here and work on the problems I see.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,284,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'm not talking about 40 years ago. This is a new movement, and a new wave of countrysiders. Most of us here have been rural dwellers for a good long while. We've into building, welding, blacksmithing, farming, ranching, business, machinery, community service, and almost all of us live in climates with severe winters. We plow our own snow. We heat with wood, and mostly cut it ourselves. We can our own food, hunt, fish, and butcher our own meat.

If you are looking for a good fit, this sub-forum may not be it. You will not convert any of the regulars here to liberalism, won't pick up any votes for Hillary, and won't lure any of us back into the cities. Our philosophy here just doesn't lend itself to that. We are a group of older, conservative guys in our 50s, 60s and 70s. We live all over the country, in mostly rural areas. We pride ourselves on being as self-sufficient as possible, and have little use for anybody who depends on the gubmint for anything. We work for our living, and are not afraid of work.

You know what you can do with your Section 8 housing. We'd build our own, first!
Great post! But what about me? I'm only 28 and try to participate on here from time to time, do I not count? .
I wasn't around in the 70's to know how it was then, but the "back to the land" movement is alive and well. Almost everywhere I've lived I've ran into younger people around my age looking for land to farm and homestead and some actually pull it off. We quit the rat race 4 years ago and never looked back and never will. You couldn't pay me enough money to ever live in a city again. Once you've tasted the freedom that rural areas can offer, there's no going back.

No need to "bug out", I'm already here and will stay no matter which new puppet we choose to drive this crazy train straight into the ground.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 PM

https://www.facebook.com/sarcasticli...type=3&theater

Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
No need to worry about this, he lost the election tonight. Trump will not be what we worry about in the oval office for the next four years.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,604,980 times
Liberal tears are delicious and the joy of hearing spoiled hollywood stars leaving the US is a bonus.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:08 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Great post! But what about me? I'm only 28 ...
Of course you count!

I was trying to point out to him that as a group, we tend to be older and not likely to be swayed politically, nor to be lured back to city life, and certainly not interested in gubmint handouts. You are not the one trying to insist that everybody should fit into that mold!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:02 AM

23,143 posts, read 28,915,048 times
Some golden words of wisdom: Harder the shell, softer the center, softer the shell, harder the center.

When you have to put on an act to look/talk tough, you're not! The toughest people never have to advertise how tough they are! As they say: loud man goes down first in a bar, and with Trump, one punch and he'd be lying on the floor with the peanut shells!

Inside Trump is a big pile of Jello!

So how could anyone bug out over a pile of Jello?

It makes no difference who gets into office, this country is on an unstoppable path to self-destruction and eventual anarchy! So get ready!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness