Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:05 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I've been thinking of your question, and while I don't know exactly where you are, I did run some scenarios through my head and came up with another option for you.

While bush planes are a major way of getting around Alaska since there are so few roads, and could be great if you're a pilot or have a plane.
However, you are blessed with a lot of coastline and some large rivers.
Earthquakes could block roads or destroy airport runways, but if you can get to water, with a canoe or rubber raft you could still get miles away from a disaster faster than traveling on foot.

The Kenai has water all around, and several islands you could conceivably shelter on.
If you're further west, you have the Yukon River or the Kuskokwim that could be a highway out.

Rubber rafts and canoes can be stored and only used if necessary, and don't need fuel. Not as fast as a power launch, but the way that the Ohio River valley was first settled was by wooden rafts. Not to mention the rafts used to get to Dawson during the gold rush.
If you are at a distance from big enough water to float or navigate, you could actually make a trailer by putting wheels under your canoe that you could pull by hand, and fill with supplies to move, or use your canoe as a toboggan in snow. Maybe make an outrigger to stabilize it as you pull it. That way you could move supplies as well as have your transportation. It's an option you could use to could get your family with some supplies to the water where you could move faster in the boat.

Or if you have an ax and some rope, you could make a raft out of driftwood or by felling some trees.

It's a way to get out if you have to.

Just a thought.
No longer on the Yukon. We are in Bristol bay and I can almost throw a rock into the bay. Only problem with the bay is the tide and flats. We experience 20 plus feet of tidal change and once winter comes the bay is closed for passage. Heck I'm not willing to cross the bay in either boat I own at the moment. I just don't know it.

Crossing over land in winter is possible if it's cold enough. But that's another scenario that requires sustained below freezing temps so that the thousands of flowing creeks and shallow ponds would be crissable. The tundra is almost impossible to cross unless it's more solid tundra, which is here but not consistory t. A 3 mile journey could easily turn into a 30 mile journey (it's that bad).
I do think staying out would be our best bet for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 10:17 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Is there a native settlement near you? I'd look into any tricks that people who have lived there for centuries could pass on to you.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Is there a native settlement near you? I'd look into any tricks that people who have lived there for centuries could pass on to you.
We've got many native friends, and going to the old ways would more than likely have to happen. We preserve our fish the native way, and I make dry meat (jerky) the native way.

Still got lots to learn, and the native knowledge I have received was from Athabascans and not Yupiks, which can have totally different ways to do certain things.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
In most cases, even in more temperate climes, 'bugging out' is often not the ideal first solution in an emergency .. however, yes, one should be prepared to do just that (in any season) just in case there is a fire or some other disaster that means you can't stay in your primary residence. In most cases though, if I were you, I would plan to work with neighbours if you have some where you are .. northern close knit communities, while they have their drawbacks at times, will probably be your biggest asset in times of trouble.We've started reaching out to some like minded people. As a matter of fact, it seems that our community is a close community that would pull together for most members.

Just some other thoughts to ponder -

Do you have a snowmobile (with a 'trailer sled') and extra (pure) gas stored? If not and/or you can't afford one, think about getting a 'kicksled'. Look them up .. Scandinavian invention .. I have one though I am now lending it to the local school. It can be 'person powered by kicking out with one foot' and can carry one passenger (preferably a small one and maybe a bit of gear) or you can also hook up a dog to it. I bought mine from a place in Montreal for less than $400 Can. Or you could try to build one or something like it. They are small (though about 7 feet long I think), light and fold flat for storage - and you can put wheels on them in summer if need be. Would be ideal up there on the 'tundra'! We had a snowmachine and sled until we moved to our current location. Haven't bought one to replace it yet, though I am looking. With the lack of snow the last few years, I am hesitant to purchase another one this far south, until I know we are for sure staying where we are. I will look into these kicksleds though.

Do you have a HAM license and radios/antennas? (If not, think hard about 'communications' and consider this a priority). Communications was one thing I have completely overlooked. Sat phone is on the purchase list for hunting, and I have looked into HAM in the past, just haven't seriously looked into.

What kinds of food do you have stored (and how much and what longevity do you expect it to have?)- and do you dehydrate/freeze dry/can your own? Do you have a woodstove, a lot of wood stored, and other ways to cook/heat water, etc.? We are good on food. I have bug out food and hunker down food. Plenty of protein in the form of salmon (salmon capitol of the world) and plenty of beans and rice. I have some dehydrated veggies, but not where I want to be.
No wood stove or alternate heating source. THis is another area I need to develop. Plan is currently to go to the smallest room and use plenty of blankets and body warmth. Wood gathering here is a challenge with native lands access and fees. Our local tribal corporation limited wood access to shareholders only, unless one is willing to pay a high fee.

When you are experiencing those few months of 'bad sledding' every year .. do you really 'know' the fauna in your area that is edible? If not, explore next summer and see what there is around you .. identify it, know where it is growing, consider how you would survive on it (along with anything you might hunt or fish for). Even in the tundra, there are edibles though they may be few and far between .. don't discard that idea though .. just another 'skill' and a bit of knowledge to add to what seem to already be your biggest advantages - which is your (and your wife's) background, location and some already well developed skills .. plus your awareness.Still learning our fauna. Berries we got down. They are everywhere. There are fiddle heads, rhubarb and other things as well. Meat sources we got down. Trapping is a skill we are learning, but won't practice unless I absolutely need to.

Have you thought about what you would do if there was a nuclear 'incident'? Yes, it is remote I hope but not impossible. When I was a kid in the Yukon, during the cold war, we all did silly drills where we got under our desks at school. That would not have helped us I am sure if the Russians had invaded or sent over a bomb. You are even closer to them and the nuclear threat in this world is definitely not over. There is a reason that cruise missiles were tested coming up through Canada to the Alaskan corridor to Siberia, etc. Those Russian 'invaders' may indeed come to your neck of the woods but I doubt they will be walking across the icepack - more likely they will be in the form of flying metal armed with things we don't come across on a daily basis. I mention this not as something you might have to rush out and prepare for now - though I would watch the world carefully of course (back to those HAM radios! ) - but just to keep in the back of your mind .. something to research and think about. Helps to think about these scenarios once in a while if for no other reason than to develop and maintain the 'mindset'.

(p.s. you need a lot more water stored if possible - 5 gallons would probably not get you through one day with a family!)Water will be increased, right now I am more worried about a more efficient filtering system. As far as nuclear attacks...yeah...I've thought about that, and know that there isn't much we could do about something that catastrophic. I think a blast in any military installation around would have drastic impacts on our location.
More in depth answers bolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness