Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:34 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantra View Post
That means they will flood out to the farms and ranches, within a week or so of the power's going off ...
That's not so.

99% of city dwellers will remain in the city. It's the only life they know. They are frightened of the woods and the rural areas. No street lights, wild animals, lions and tigers and bears, oh my! An owl hooting would scare the bejesus out of them, esp in the dark.

City people, as a rule, do not camp in the wilderness. They don't know how to start a fire, purify water, or build a shelter. They don't know how to recognize a vegetable plant in a garden. A pig or a ram would scare the hail out of them. They don't know how to deal with barbed wire. They get scared in the dark, and think that a mouse or a spider is gross.

Of the 1% that may venture from the city, few will live long in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 07:01 PM

54 posts, read 41,134 times
what is 1% of of 1/4 million people? and you're wrong. they will have no choice but to flee the cities. You're kidding yourself that a huge fight is not coming,

Old 12-03-2016, 07:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
That's not so.

99% of city dwellers will remain in the city. It's the only life they know. They are frightened of the woods and the rural areas. No street lights, wild animals, lions and tigers and bears, oh my! An owl hooting would scare the bejesus out of them, esp in the dark.

City people, as a rule, do not camp in the wilderness. They don't know how to start a fire, purify water, or build a shelter. They don't know how to recognize a vegetable plant in a garden. A pig or a ram would scare the hail out of them. They don't know how to deal with barbed wire. They get scared in the dark, and think that a mouse or a spider is gross.

Of the 1% that may venture from the city, few will live long in the country.
I grew up in a city; the aforesaid never applied to me. Are you recounting your own experiences?

P.S. There are owls in urban areas as well as rural, bats too.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I'd say it is possible. Some DIY'ers may try to burn wood if there is a power outage. Especially in cold areas. Chimneys have to be maintained and cleaned in order to avoid fires and other dangers. It sounds possible that there may be more house fires in cold regions as a result of people using inadequately maintained chimneys. If the area is dry, this may lead to more wildfires.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:59 PM

As I said, it happened in Cheznia, it happened fast, once war started, and that's people who KNOW a bit about cold weather and a hard life.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantra View Post
what is 1% of of 1/4 million people? and you're wrong. they will have no choice but to flee the cities. You're kidding yourself that a huge fight is not coming,
They won't live long enough to get out of the cities. Those who have vacation properties outside the cities may go there; those who have nowhere to go will stay where they are. A few might go out to "the woods" but that is not an easy place to survive for a city dweller.

And here, I'm referring very much to inner-city minorities, who are unable to subsist without a government check. They want their "rights", they want their food and EBT cards. Urban liberals are dependent upon their cars, their credit cards, their high heels, and their Starbucks. Neither group have adequate clothing, footwear, knowledge or gear to subsist in a wilderness setting.

I keep pointing to Katrina as a real-life example of what to expect. Those with any money or brains high-tailed it outta there in plenty of time; the rest got herded onto buses headed for the superdome. Then we all know where things went from there.

It's time to put this "Golden Horde" thing to rest. The vast majority of city dwellers will die where they live -- in the cities. They really have no other options.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I grew up in a city; the aforesaid never applied to me. Are you recounting your own experiences?
Nope.

I grew up in a city, too, but had enough brains and self-made money to build a house before moving to a rural area - just as you did. And lest you forget, my brother and I spent summers up in Maine from the ages of 6 or 7, with our uncle, as our dad died young. We spent summers camping, fishing, shooting, learning to drive ATVs, to use chain saws (something you're afraid of).

You know exactly what I'm talking about, regarding urbanites in the woods.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:33 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We spent summers camping, fishing, shooting, learning to drive ATVs, to use chain saws (something you're afraid of).
A lot of those skills might become almost useless when you get old. It might be hard enough just to get around, much less do any of those activities. Then you might wish you were in a city. What if TSHTF on your 90th birthday? It's very hard to predict it's going to happen in any particular year. Sometimes you can see doomsday coming fast, but it takes 20 years to arrive. What if, when you get old enough to want to move back to a city, you can no longer afford to move?

Old 12-04-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
A lot of those skills might become almost useless when you get old. It might be hard enough just to get around, much less do any of those activities. Then you might wish you were in a city. What if TSHTF on your 90th birthday? ..... What if, when you get old enough to want to move back to a city, you can no longer afford to move?
You should tell this to my recently-deceased 94-y-o neighbor, who lived in rural northern Maine right up to his passing. He was still gardening, mowing his own lawn, and his 90-y-o wife was cooking up a storm in their kitchen. She's still alive at 91, and not at all worried about "living too far away from a hospital"!

If I want to move back to a city (more suburban) I can at any time. One of my other properties is a house back in Rhode Island, owned free and clear. I recently put it in trust for my grandchildren.

Some people need to get it through their heads that quality of life trumps fear of death for many people. We will all die someday, and no hospital on the planet can keep you alive when your appointed time comes. They may keep your body going with enough tubes and IVs, but is that "quality of life"???

I need the winds, the wide-open spaces, and the celestial music that is so hard to hear in the dirty, noisy cities. You are welcome to the cities, however. You can have MY space!

Old 12-04-2016, 07:01 AM

right, everyone is going to just sit there and die of thirst, rather than get on a motorycycle or bicycle and move 50-500 miles. Sure they are. You're deluded, dude. People left Texas and Louisiana by the millions, over a mere hurricane. People flooded out of the 3 mile island area over the possibility of a nuclear plant meltdown. None of those threats was as messed up as not having water. Do you have a clue how many backpacks and bikes exist in the US? It's probably well over 100 million and 90%+ of the US population lives in towns and cities. News flash for you. All you have to move is YOU, and maybe water to cover you while you move. This idea that you have to move an 18 wheeler full of stuff is retarded. None of that stuff is necessary. Sell it or abandon it.

People wont be thinking of camping out. They will be thinking in terms of killing farmers and ranchers, (if need be) taking their stuff and moving into their buildings. Millions of the displaced will be from smaller towns just 10-50 miles from the rural areas, too. Dehydration will kill you regardless of where you are. You'll still be forced to seek out water, and your small town will burn like any big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness