Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,210,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You are clueless and have no idea what you talking about. But carry on.....
Hardly clueless. Far from it. Realistic is more like it.

Value is in the eye of the beholder and just because someone tells you silver or gold is valuable - you may not want or need it. 3 eggs or 3 2x4's may be more valuable to you than a 100 oz. gold bar. Who knows.

As you say - no one knows what will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You are clueless and have no idea what you talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I simply took $1000 and used it to by a combination of 90% junk silver coins and some 1oz silver rounds. I didn't buy any gold simply due to the fact that as a prospector I already have that covered.
In 2001 I was buying gold at under $300 and silver at under $5. I realized a profit of 500% on the gold, and 700% on the silver, when I sold in 2012. I missed the peak, but not by much. They have done nothing but go down, since then. Who is clueless now???

I took those profits and put them into the Dow. I've made 150%, so far. Who is clueless now???

I always have a portion of my portfolio in metals, for diversification, along with stocks, bonds, real estate, and other assets. The metals portion is far more than $1,000. Who is clueless now???

If the SHTF, just wait till you try to present your 90% junk silver coins to some millenial who won't believe that they're any different from other coins. Who will be clueless then???

Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 AM

I have 20 Eisenhower Silver Dollars that I picked up at the bank a few months ago. They are bigger and heavier than Morgans or Peace Dollars. They "feel" like money in my hand, but the commodity value of them is something like 30 cents each. I paid one dollar for each one dollar coin.

Morgans are going for $18-$20 now. I would guess 90% of people have no idea of the difference between the two and might even go for the Eisenhower's because they are bigger.

Heck, the Eisenhower's even cost less than junk dimes right now. Really a quandary as to what may transpire.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I have 20 Eisenhower Silver Dollars that I picked up at the bank a few months ago. They are bigger and heavier than Morgans or Peace Dollars. They "feel" like money in my hand, but the commodity value of them is something like 30 cents each. I paid one dollar for each one dollar coin.

Morgans are going for $18-$20 now. I would guess 90% of people have no idea of the difference between the two and might even go for the Eisenhower's because they are bigger.

Heck, the Eisenhower's even cost less than junk dimes right now. Really a quandary as to what may transpire.
Sorry I cannot rep you again, yet.

People are impressed with all sorts of 'bling', even coin bling. The average guy on the street has no idea of the silver content of Eisenhowers (some were once 40%, then less....now, zero) or even if they have any silver content, or which years they might have. The public are the ones who are really "clueless", and yet those are the ones you need to have a clue, if your "store of wealth" is ever going to be worth anything.

If the metal price run-up from 1999 to 2011 didn't impress them, nothing else ever will!

Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
In 2001 I was buying gold at under $300 and silver at under $5. I realized a profit of 500% on the gold, and 700% on the silver, when I sold in 2012. I missed the peak, but not by much. They have done nothing but go down, since then. Who is clueless now???

I took those profits and put them into the Dow. I've made 150%, so far. Who is clueless now???

I always have a portion of my portfolio in metals, for diversification, along with stocks, bonds, real estate, and other assets. The metals portion is far more than $1,000. Who is clueless now???

If the SHTF, just wait till you try to present your 90% junk silver coins to some millenial who won't believe that they're any different from other coins. Who will be clueless then???
Yep, the whole SHTF scenario is just flying right over your head. Some people are just too rigid in their thinking to understand it. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:33 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post

The Eisenhowers only have a collectible value. The Morgan's have a precious metal value. Now if you need "x" and someone wants to take your Eisehower in trade then you've made a good deal if you're both happy with it. Values will shake out in a SHTF. If you've prepared you'll be able to respond. Ultimately it all depends on the two people making the barter/trade and what kinda value they place on each other's goods.

How you want to prepare and plan ahead is totally up to you.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:18 PM

have a barter question for those who look at 90% junk silver as money that can be used in a SHTF scenario.

would you rather have one Morgan/Peace Dollar weighing 26.73 grams, or two Walking Liberty/Franklin halfs - plus one mercury dime - that have a total combined weight of 27.5 grams. those are the purported non circulated weights listed and would be slightly less for circulated silver. You get slightly more actual silver and face value under the 3 coin trade.

which would you prefer assuming these are all basic coins ?

Old 05-12-2017, 03:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Even the most dedicated conspiracy theorists may find the material on the link to be disquieting. I must point out too that silver has been falling with respect to gold for more than two centuries.

Silver Prices - 100 Year Historical Chart | MacroTrends

Old 05-12-2017, 04:06 PM

I am quite familiar with that chart and anyone looking at it should remove the "inflation adjusted" component to see the actual price of silver. Everything is relative so ups and downs in metals has to be taken in context. I am a conspiracy theorist and think that the price of gold and silver is too high - but there is no denying that some people are buying it. I keep asking myself what would it be worth if there was no place to check the spot price. What then would it actually be worth.

Would like to see if anyone might answer my question above. Tks

Last edited by illtaketwoplease; 05-12-2017 at 04:16 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 01:14 PM

so I just attended a yard sale in my neighborhood. mentioned that I was looking for old coins and they said they may have some and brought out 2 morgan dollars. asked then what they wanted and they said $10 each - but I gave them $12 each since we have known each other for a long time and I explained what they were going for on ebay (roughly $17 in the condition these were). point being that many people (and I would say most) have no use for silver coins and are not closely following the market. the high premiums paid for morgans/peace over spot right now is insane.

also they had what looked to be a $20 gold coin which I probably could have bought for $50. told them to get it looked at by a coin shop because it appeared to be real and was dated 1908. again - they don't value gold at what we are being told it's worth via the spot market. so if the SHTF - convincing people to give you what you think it's worth is going to be more of a challenge than some think. people would rather have things they need -- or know have real value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness