Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 10:01 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
I really see much of the opening Post as a Total Dechristianized atitude, Seems to me a Jungle Law believer in stead of a Jesús Believer.

Do not take me bad, I endorse having a gun to defend my family, but ¿How many would use their guns to thieve the non gun families? thus to some extend it is clear to me that gun lovers are more dangerous than anti gun activists.

In an egotistical society of racial supremacists ¿how can there be peace without guns? ¿Shouldn't we fix the core problems of a divided society incapable of reaching a status of kindness and mutual apreciation rather than simply endorsing a balance of gun holders?

Minorities are getting armed to the teeth after Trump won.
Oh my! I certainly saw nothing dechristianized about the OP. The statement made dealt with certain mind sets or life styles that are more at risk, regardless of any prepping for crisis.

My own thought is that the people I know today who have guns that they do not use to commit crimes are also people that adhere to a much higher standard than the law of the jungle. In fact, I beiieve many gun owners are also adherents to the Constitution of this nation and have a genuine respect for God-given rights that exist in and out of crisis. I don't see myself or anyone I know using a gun to "take" from someone else. I do see them using a gun to protect themselves and their families and others from those who interpret any opportunity to loot and riot as an acceptable behavior under the best of circumstances . Our TVs have shown us that numerous times in recent years.

An egotistical society of racial supremacists? OMG. Who are you? Fix the core problems of a divided society? While you call this an egotistical society of racial supremacists? The only racial baiting I have seen of late seems directed at those of a European extraction/those who by ancestorial heritage happen to have come out caucasian. I feel no better than anyone for that and I guarantee you I certainly don't feel worse. I am offended by people who infer I should have some sort of guilt for who I am . It doesn't make me a racist but it certainly makes me view as suspect those who speak as you do .

The poster stated certain things as those who are disabled where required treatments /medications and the like become difficult to obtain. You bet they have a shortened lifespan simply because some things require refrigeration, electricity , adequate supplies and the like. Some things cannot be stockpiled.

Those who expect someone else to strategize and finance their lives likely do not consider scenarios where they have to take command and fend for themselves, which does not include taking it from someone else by force. It involves thinking and preparing your heart, body and mind. Which is why adults are necessary for young children. If you haven't honed those skills from your upbringing, they likely will not arise in a crisis and back to the point that I will defend myself from someone coming after me. I will be the defender, not the offender.

And as for those ill-mannered children, it goes without saying or was already said adequately that out of control kids under the best of times will likely not exercise prudence under the worst of times. Kids that are trained in the way they should go will follow the values their parents set for them and anarchy shouldn't be one of them.

As for the kumbaya crowd, well, I suppose you think that's your group, all the while calling the rest of us racial supremacists. I don't need to say anything further. Don't apply for a job with the foreign service department or take a job in mediation..........

If minorities are arming to the teeth, I'm not particularly thinking one way or the other. In cities like Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, and the list goes on it appears the inmates are already well-armed in their "asylums".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 10:14 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Oh my! I certainly saw nothing dechristianized about the OP. The statement made dealt with certain mind sets or life styles that are more at risk, regardless of any prepping for crisis.
Thank you for setting the record straight.

Some people cannot/will not see the difference between a discussion and a judgement.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
When Jerusalén was about to be destroyed, Jesús told his disciples to fly away from the city when rumors of war were heard, They survived the Destruction that Romans made to Jerusalem and the slavery that all captured Jews were forced to go after being defeated.

The well entusiastic, extasic, warmongerer jew who remained in the City to defeat the Romans.... believed in the power of the swords and shafts, all of them if didn't die, were made slaves until their death.
Your history is a bit skewed. Jesus was long dead before Jerusalem was destroyed. Judaea was changed to Palestine and Jews forbidden to enter Jerusalem in 140 AD by the Emperor Hadrian. It was the Pharisees who spread out through the empire and kept YHWH alive. The Christianity you are familiar with was a creation of the Greco-Roman world. The entire New Testament was written in Greek.

If you want a religion that might actually be a help in a survival situation and don't like Mohammed, become a Mormon. They stick together and they prep.

Quote:
Buy a Machete, they are legal in most countries, are excelent for cuting foliage and for defending oneself from others I carry two of them in my car since I use them in my fields.

http://www.ferreteriamodelo.mx/asset.../234200050.png

a Machete is more than enough.
It's not very expensive to buy a real sword. For that matter, a selection of knives and swords is a good idea. For one thing, they don't make any noise. A skinning knife is virtually useless for poking something. I have a very nice Gerber machete with a 6-tooth saw blade on the back. It took some sharpening of the teeth, but it will handle pretty good sized saplings and branches with no other tool. It is, however, useless for poking things. A real sword will both slash and stab. I also have a brush scythe and a grass scythe, real antiques but I keep the snaths treated with linseed oil and they are likely to last another century. A selection of axes is handy too. They have different uses. A falling axe is completely different from a shingle froe.

It's better to focus on real world tools and skills. All religion does is help the survivors feel better about your death.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:31 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There will always be something to buy; there will always be people to hire.
I disagree. In a real SHTF situation, money will matter little.

A man with a year's supply of money will NOT outlive a man with a year's supply of food.
A man with two year's supply of food is KING over the man with one year's supply of money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alas,_Babylon
Alas, Babylon is a 1959 novel by American writer Pat Frank (the pen name of Harry Hart Frank) It was one of the first apocalyptic novels of the nuclear age and has remained more than half century after it was first published, consistently ranking in Amazon.com's Top 20 Science Fiction Short Stories list.
. . .
One vignette exposed the whole illusion of money. One of the storekeepers sold out all his stock at a hefty profit. But since transportation and resupply had ceased, all that money was worthless, useless, and meaningless.

Unless there is a flow of new goods and services, available for sale, no amount of money will persuade someone to give up their necessities to a buyer.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:50 PM

107 posts, read 118,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Not the strong, but the adaptable will survive. It's still Darwin.
Not to mention those who have taken the time to stake
out the high ground, especially round the roads in.
Not all positions are defensible, but all locations
have some positions that are more defensible than
others.
Anyone who would attack your typical American
suburb should have his head examined.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:27 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

A man with a year's supply of money will NOT outlive a man with a year's supply of food.
A man with two year's supply of food is KING over the man with one year's supply of money.

Alas, Babylon is a 1959 novel by American writer Pat Frank (the pen name of Harry Hart Frank) It was one of the first apocalyptic novels of the nuclear age and has remained more than half century after it was first published, consistently ranking in Amazon.com's Top 20 Science Fiction Short Stories list.
. . .
One vignette exposed the whole illusion of money. One of the storekeepers sold out all his stock at a hefty profit. But since transportation and resupply had ceased, all that money was worthless, useless, and meaningless.

Unless there is a flow of new goods and services, available for sale, no amount of money will persuade someone to give up their necessities to a buyer.
and the banker ate his gun! great book! The were 2 old spinsters that thrived after. The librarian and I think the telegraph lady? Both had skills no one else did.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:35 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I also have a brush scythe and a grass scythe, real antiques but I keep the snaths treated with linseed oil and they are likely to last another century. A selection of axes is handy too. They have different uses. A falling axe is completely different from a shingle froe.

It's better to focus on real world tools and skills. All religion does is help the survivors feel better about your death.
Holy hell Larry, you win the internet today with snaths!

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2016, 12:46 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

. . .

Don't take this the wrong way, but when the Confederacy was defeated, and African Americans were freed from their bondage...an amazing amount became share-croppers for their former owners.

You have a point that money may become worthless, but the people closest to a trade will still have the best instinct for a company's continuation. Supply chains will need to be reshuffled, stores of value reexamined, breaking out storage hoards may need more persuasive means than normal, but people accustomed to power that weren't hated still have the upper hand in any SHTF scenario where social interaction isn't completely shattered.

If used to pay you, maybe now I offer you 3 squares and a place where your children don't die. Maybe I extort labor out of you along the same lines. Maybe I issue my own scrip, and play with the supply and demand. Maybe I hire some ex-Marines to go hunt down hoarders in the woods....on "solid evidence" of murdering innocents. The stashes fill my warehouse which inherently gives value to a formerly worthless scrip.

The Middle Ages taught us that being able to produce meant little if you couldn't protect. Same with hoarding. Agriculture to scale simply doesn't make sense if all you do is attract people to steal it from you. True, semi-nomadic survivalists aside, I think it's still the cities in control, with a question of who is in control of the cities....with the exceptions on nuclear war and fictional zombie attacks.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:38 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

............. Can you think of any more vulnerable groups of people?
Everyone.

I've been following this thread with interest for the past few days. Honestly I think it would be easier to itemize the whofores, wherefores and whyfores of the people that would be the least vulnerable and might have more chances to survive longer than others in a long term SHTF situation.

For more than 65 years I've been what is in today's modern vernacular referred to as a prepper and survivalist, likewise my homesteading parents (both were veterans of WW1 & WW2) and my grand parents and their pioneering, self-sufficient ancestors before them. All of them were highly intelligent individuals with multiple survival skills and knowledge as well as personal vulnerabilities that they struggled to overcome (or never overcame).

I'm of the opinion that every single person has some particular great strength and an achilles heel and no person or groups of people can anticipate or be prepared for all SHTF contingencies. No matter how many skills, preps and knowledge they have behind them, each person has vulnerabilities and/or handicaps that are unique to each person and each one of those vulnerabilities is a weak link in their chain. Sometimes people don't know what their greatest strengths or vulnerabilities are until they are surprised by them, being confronted face to face with them for the first time in an unexpected and immediate crisis.

Depending on what type of SHTF situation it is, where and when it occurs, and how long it lasts, many of the people that were listed in the original post stand a chance of surviving much better and longer than those who think they are ultimately prepared for all contingencies.

BTW, I do not think that what happened when Katrina hit was a real SHTF situation. It was just a little short-term drop in the bucket natural disaster that illustrated the vulnerabilities of the complacent and the strengths of skilled critical thinkers with foresight.

Last edited by Zoisite; 12-14-2016 at 01:57 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but when the Confederacy was defeated, and African Americans were freed from their bondage...an amazing amount became share-croppers for their former owners. [Because they did not own land - private property - the foundation of liberty]

You have a point that money may become worthless, but the people closest to a trade will still have the best instinct for a company's continuation. Supply chains will need to be reshuffled, stores of value reexamined, breaking out storage hoards may need more persuasive means than normal, but people accustomed to power that weren't hated still have the upper hand in any SHTF scenario where social interaction isn't completely shattered. [Those who have what they want won't trade with others who don't have what they need]

If used to pay you, maybe now I offer you 3 squares and a place where your children don't die. Maybe I extort labor out of you along the same lines. Maybe I issue my own scrip, and play with the supply and demand. Maybe I hire some ex-Marines to go hunt down hoarders in the woods....on "solid evidence" of murdering innocents. The stashes fill my warehouse which inherently gives value to a formerly worthless scrip. [Ah, you're falling back into the illusion of money - that an abstraction IS equivalent to reality.]

The Middle Ages taught us that being able to produce meant little if you couldn't protect. [Defensible accommodations are very appealing - like walled stockades and courtyard homes. But is money necessary to have such things?] Same with hoarding. Agriculture to scale simply doesn't make sense if all you do is attract people to steal it from you. True, semi-nomadic survivalists aside, I think it's still the cities in control, with a question of who is in control of the cities....with the exceptions on nuclear war and fictional zombie attacks.
If/when the transportation system is impaired, and/or power distribution is interrupted, things will devolve into predator versus prey. Assuming that the prey are smart enough to unite in mutual defense of their persons and property, and eradicate predators, there is still no "need" for money. There IS a need for the usable goods and services that support one's life and provide one's comforts.
Ergo, prosperity is based on the prodigious production, equitable trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services.
That is the reality that no amount of money can produce. Sadly, money madness is a block to prosperity, since it throttles trade, and enriches those who skim, via extortion and usury, a vast fortune while doing nothing constructive themselves.

I was reading a travelog of a family sailing in the South Pacific and how their idyll was marred by their experience with islanders. Each time they anchored and went ashore to "stock up" - they were rebuffed. No one NEEDED their money - there was nothing "to buy" on the island. They were all self sufficient farmers, fishermen, etc. Occasionally, they made a trade from their own stock of possessions, but the islanders would not SELL their foods for money tokens. Those islanders weren't money mad and weren't persuaded to trade real food for it.

It takes a lot of indoctrination to make a modern sophisticate who accepts insanity as normal.
. . . .
SHORT STORY ALLEGORY
This is not "post-SHTF" fiction - but it does illustrate the depth of our conditioning to be money-mad. The society depicted in the story has many parallels with our current 'benevolent' totalitarian police state as well as the idealism of the Founders and their republican form of government (no connection with 'republic').
“And Then There Were None”
'And Then There Were None' by Eric Frank Russell
"They have a peculiar, moneyless economic system which, in my opinion, manages to function only because it is afflicted with large surpluses."

Last edited by jetgraphics; 12-14-2016 at 03:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness