Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:14 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,337 times

Advertisements

I read an article recently stating the epa is invesisting the town of fairbanks for possible nomcomplience related to woodburning. I dont remember much as i only skimmed it.

On another note i know areas out west and down south do have fairly regular no-burn seasons, but thats due to wildfire risks caused by drought and heat. It does not make sense to have them in winter for inside a house, but restricting outside fires could still be meritable (winter tends to be dry). Hell even parts of MA ordiniced no burns this summer, although i beleive they were only muninciple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:40 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,620 times
As I'm in the process of upgrading my cordless tools and switching to Makita, I picked up the Makita battery-operated chainsaw last spring, which uses two 18v Li-Ion batteries. I was surprised at how powerful it was and how long the batteries lasted. I had to cut up several trees that had blown down in our yard during a storm last June and used the saw for over an hour before I noticed the need to swap the batteries out.

I've also found it handy to keep in my work truck for emergencies, and used it when we responded to the hurricane last summer/fall. I already have a power inverter installed there.

As someone else mentioned, battery-operated drills were not that great when they first came out, so perhaps the chainsaw versions are just now starting to come into their own.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:52 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,090 times
FWIW, I do a little tree trimming as a side business, and I use a Stihl limbing saw for most of it. Small, lightweight, designed to operate with one hand, and it has a 14" bar and will cut out of proportion to its size. It uses the evil gas and oil, and isn't silent, either, but when you need to cut a lot of stuff 14" and less, it does it without wearing you out. Can't see a reason to use a battery saw when the Stihl MS 193T is as small and light as it is and works as hard as it does. It excels at cutting brush and small trees as you can run the saw with one hand and move the debris with the other.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post

As someone else mentioned, battery-operated drills were not that great when they first came out, so perhaps the chainsaw versions are just now starting to come into their own.
As I mentioned I have battery operated sawzall, it's great for around the house and for other things like cutting small limbs. When I say small I mean like 2 or 3 inch diameter. The portability is nice but the battery does not last that long, no big deal as long as you are not in a hurry. I would imagine battery time on any saw operated by a battery is not going to be that long unless it weighs a ton.

Battery or corded what sets the gas apart is the power to weight ratio. Gasoline is going to dominate this.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As I mentioned I have battery operated sawzall, it's great for around the house and for other things like cutting small limbs. When I say small I mean like 2 or 3 inch diameter. The portability is nice but the battery does not last that long, no big deal as long as you are not in a hurry. I would imagine battery time on any saw operated by a battery is not going to be that long unless it weighs a ton.

Battery or corded what sets the gas apart is the power to weight ratio. Gasoline is going to dominate this.
I presently agree with the bolded. I continue to use gas saws, and they do the heavy work for me.

However, a sawzall is not what I meant when I said "electric chainsaws". Granted, a sawzall will cut some small limb wood if nothing else is available, just as an angle grinder will make its way through a 2x4, but neither of these is remotely suited to the job.

The new electric 40v saw my son-in-law let me try out will easily cut through an 8-10" tree or limb, and it doesn't take much longer than a gas saw would. It's very light-weight, as the battery is a lithium, not a nicad (big difference). From what I observed, he used it on one battery for most of the morning.

Try to understand, there are ladies and newbies here who have never used a chainsaw. Some are a bit nervous about it. These new electric saws are lighter, slower, safer, quieter, release no fumes, and need no cord-pulling. They are a great way to get familiar with the tool. And they can do real work!

Old 06-27-2017, 02:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
so i have a BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 40V MAX Lithium Ion Chainsaw, 12" and i cant find the charging cable for the battery. i looked online and all i can find is a fancy expensive fast charger https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...b_title_garden.

can i buy a cheaper standard charger? can someone point me in the right direction? thanks

Old 06-27-2017, 02:18 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
can i buy a cheaper standard charger? can someone point me in the right direction? thanks
I would contact B&D directly. If they don't have the parts to sell to you directly, they would know who would. Here's one place to start:

Support

Old 06-27-2017, 02:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I would contact B&D directly. If they don't have the parts to sell to you directly, they would know who would. Here's one place to start:

Support
thanks, i used the chat and got the answer.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:33 PM

60 posts, read 62,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
You need lots of panels to charge the batteries.

Burning wood is hardly green. Wood smoke is worst than smoking. It is extremely toxic. IF you live in a area with few people they are fine....but in towns!! Don't burn wood!!
That's not true at all, new wood stoves are highly efficient. My blaze king wood stove can burn 24 hours on one load....the only thing left coming out the chimney is steam

Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 PM

60 posts, read 62,313 times
I can't see any serious logger using an electric chainsaw....here in Montana I cut about 20 cords a year...I couldn't imagine using a little electric saw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness