Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:40 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

The local grid goes down with every storm. When the wind blows trees will blow down and in a state that is 92% forest we expect grid power to go out.

We got rather used to it during our first 10 years of living here. Every calendar month we had at least one power outage. Two Christmas' in a row we were without power for 4+ days.

Thank God for solar power and batteries.

It is amazing to talk to neighbors about their generator fuel expenses. Monthly generator fuel expenses can be a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 02:41 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It is amazing to talk to neighbors about their generator fuel expenses. Monthly generator fuel expenses can be a lot.
Yes, they can. Especially when someone has only a 6,000 watt genny and uses it for everything. An engine that size gulps the same amount of fuel whether it's used to run a household, or just an extra freezer.

A small 2,000 watt genny will be up to most tasks, and only sips fuel.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:45 PM

A couple of our neighbors use two generators.

One small unit for lighting and PCs.

Then one large unit they run to do: laundry, flush toilets, bring freezer temps back down and bathe.

Use the big generator for one hour/day.

Grid power is more 'reliable' in the context that you can rely on the grid to go down every few weeks.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Then one large unit they run to do: laundry, flush toilets, bring freezer temps back down and bathe.
I was unaware that flushing toilets and bathing require electricity??? Unless you mean to run a well pump, but you can always flush with a gallon or so of water. Just dump it in the bowl forcefully!

Old 01-25-2017, 03:01 PM

You can use a toilet at any time without needing water. But all activities that need water [laundry, flushing, dish-washing and bathing] all require running your well pump.

One of our neighbors has been off-grid for 12 years, he just built a new outhouse in 2016. His indoor bathroom with flushing toilet works fine. But he just wanted another option, so he got a permit for it and all.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
I gave my daughter my 3650 genny. She moved to a more rural place with total electric. If she needs it I can take my 6500 to her.

Nor' Eastah,

Is there a thread on your offgrid place?

Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Nor' Eastah,

Is there a thread on your offgrid place?
No, not specifically. But if you go back and search the threads on this board for anything of an electrical or off grid topic, I will usually have a few posts in it.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:12 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Submariner, you need a PERMIT for an outhouse? And all this time I thpught it was a hole in the ground with a shed over it.

I live on top of a hill, s**t runs downhill, so we don't worry about backups if the treatment plant goes down.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Submariner, you need a PERMIT for an outhouse? And all this time I thpught it was a hole in the ground with a shed over it.

I live on top of a hill, s**t runs downhill, so we don't worry about backups if the treatment plant goes down.
I did not think so. But he told me the whole story about hiring a septic design engineer to 'design' how deep the hole had to be. Then after he built it he hired a health inspector to inspect it.

A month after he told me this I was talking to a health inspector, and he told me that he inspects a dozen new outhouses every year.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:52 AM

24 posts, read 20,696 times
Quote:
You can use a toilet at any time without needing water. But all activities that need water [laundry, flushing, dish-washing and bathing] all require running your well pump.
Just wanted to mention that in some places (like where I live where it's very hilly), a sewage pump is needed to get the effluent from the tank to the leach bed. If you have one and switch to generator, make sure you have this pump powered when the well pump is powered otherwise your sewer tank can overflow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness