Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:32 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I had western diamondback rattlesnake and i thought it tasted good.
Rattlers taste very much like copperheads - and everyone remembers what copperheads taste like, right?

Any snake is technically edible, but as Rabrrita points out, when you eat a snake you are also eating whatever the snake ate. I have no problem eating rattlers or other pit vipers, because they dine almost exclusively on warm-blooded prey like mammals and (occasionally) birds. But I think I'd have to be pretty damned hungry to eat a water snake, a garter snake, or some other snake that dines on frogs and fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 06:00 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,474,548 times
If you're that hungry, post your mailing address and I'll send you a couple of bucks.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,272,145 times
Default A few suggestions

Cook thoroughly - there have been reports of salmonella in snake guts. Marinate, if possible. Prepare to pick out a lot of bones.

Overall, in my opinion, not that good a meal, but if you are THAT hungry, better than nothing.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Prairie rattler isn't bad, especially if baked so you can flake the meat off of the bones, and then mix with pickle relish and mayo, makes a pretty good snake salad spread for sandwiches.

Any reptile can carry salmonella or other diseases on their skin, just a fact, so a lot of care must be taken when processing to avoid contaminating the meat.

Snake isn't my first choice for a meal, or turtle either for that matter, alligator is pretty good, but you eat what you have.

Not many snakes here for most of the year because of the cold, so they're seasonal food kind of like berries.
Other animals like Porcupines, rabbits, beaver are more available and better eating, especially in the winter.

(By the way, Porcupine isn't exactly a choice meal, but you do get an abundance of toothpicks with your meal )

Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Other animals like Porcupines, rabbits, beaver are more available and better eating, especially in the winter.
I'd take a mammal any day, rather than a reptile!

Have you tried raccoon? Not half bad, but some cholesterol.

BTW, Maine has NO poisonous snakes...did you know that?

Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
If you're that hungry, post your mailing address and I'll send you a couple of bucks.
Free money? Why not!

Nevada 89023-0921

(Disclaimer: All mail is subject to inspections and examination including identity profiling.)

Old 03-17-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'd take a mammal any day, rather than a reptile!

Have you tried raccoon? Not half bad, but some cholesterol.

BTW, Maine has NO poisonous snakes...did you know that?
Haven't tried either raccoon or opossum, I hear that's greasy too. I have tried bobcat and cougar, both excellent, and I've also tried fox and coyote, both NASTY stringy and tough.

I did not know that about Maine, but that's good information. I had thought that most of the New England States had the Green Timber Rattler, so I guess I assumed that Maine would have them as well, at least in the southern parts of the state.

Prairie Rattlers aren't as dangerous as some types, but they can kill. I've lived here all my life and outside of one newly hatched one about 6 inches long, that's the only time one ever struck at me, (knock on wood), and he just bounced off my shoe.

Usually, they're fairly shy and will get away if they can. They don't bother me because they eat a lot of vermin like prairie dogs that do a lot of damage, and they're just living as they should, but in town they can really be dangerous to children especially.
They're just part of life here, so you just watch where you put your hands, wear high boots, and go about your business.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:03 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Don't know if all snakes are edible ( don't see why they wouldn't be edible), but rattle snakes are. Heard they are very good. Never had one myself.
oh just the thought is turning my stomach.... horrible creatures

Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
If one is hungry enough, nearly anything that walks, creeps, crawls, swims, or flies is edible.
However, one MUST know what one is doing! I have heard that there are some fish that are OK if eaten raw, but poisonous if cooked, and some fish are OK when cooked, but poisonous if eaten raw.
Even grasshoppers are edible if prepared properly.
I imagine the same goes for the various breeds of snakes.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If one is hungry enough, nearly anything that walks, creeps, crawls, swims, or flies is edible.
However, one MUST know what one is doing! I have heard that there are some fish that are OK if eaten raw, but poisonous if cooked, and some fish are OK when cooked, but poisonous if eaten raw.
Even grasshoppers are edible if prepared properly.
I imagine the same goes for the various breeds of snakes.
Grasshoppers and locust are edible, but you need to pull the head off to gut them, and cook them crunchy well done as they carry tapeworm.
When I tried them, I also pulled off the lower part of the legs that has the spikes on them. Didn't want them to get stuck somewhere on the way down.

Cook them crunchy and they don't really have much flavor, kind of like popcorn without butter or salt, some crunchy texture, not much else.

Insects are a valuable source of protein in several places around the world as they don't have anything else to eat.
Some insects taste OK, some are not good, some are poisonous. The texture is the big thing as some are pretty gooey like grubs.
If the bug is bright colored, has a strong scent or is moving very slowly, usually they are not for eating.
I learned a long time ago in survival, edible doesn't mean it tastes good, just that it won't kill you. (take broccoli for example)

Still prefer beefsteak or elk steak given a choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness