Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:11 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times

Advertisements

Is it true all snakes are edible? There's no risk of being poisoned if you just bury the head?

How nutritious are snakes? They look like white meat/ fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 07:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Rattlesnake is tasty. I don't think I would want to try a Water Moccasin though.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
In North America, all Snakes (not to be confused with something that looks like a snake) are edible. The problems are those with higher toxins that need to be cooked well and long to kill off all pathogens. Example on a localized or regional level snakes along Tims Branch off the Savanna River had dangerous levels of poisons in their muscle and blood sampling that were harmful to humans, even when cooked. Snakes that consume a large fish/amphibious diet in the Hell's Canyon areas along Oregon and Idaho would be consuming and storing mercury at a level that even under Idaho's lax state toxic level regulations, there were still over 30% of snakes captured identified as deadly to humans even if cooked.

Snake meat is high in nutritional values because of its ability to store essential nutrients that most other animals expel in their waste. But, it is this storage capacity that can also make them deadly because they also store toxic substances. Snake meat is like a mini-mart. Loaded with all sorts of edible items but also a healthy dose of toxic product. If they are properly labeled and kept separate, no problem, If the rat poison was allowed to drip into the coffee decanters, big problem!

The story about burying the head is more for venomous snakes because of their envenomation reflex ability. As with the nutritional value due to storage in the snake, they also can store electrical charges in the cell that means a dead snakes still has the ability to strike from a stimulus. Basically, their head region is also a battery that can store enough energy to cause a strike when a stimulus is applied to the head, such as touching or more likely, placing anything near or in the mouth.

A good prepper would study these regional issues paying particular attention to scientific, toxicology, environmental and everything that will enable them to know exactly what hidden dangers is lurking right next door. There is a tendency to worry about everything and everyone elsewhere while ignoring the dangers waving at you from the across the street. If you know certain animals present a health threat, just don't consume them. Not bothering to find out if there is any known problems, is when the problems start. As your signature says: Knowledge IS Power!

Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 PM

885 posts, read 1,166,120 times
Don't know if all snakes are edible ( don't see why they wouldn't be edible), but rattle snakes are. Heard they are very good. Never had one myself.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:27 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Is it true all snakes are edible? There's no risk of being poisoned if you just bury the head?

How nutritious are snakes? They look like white meat/ fish.
I had western diamondback rattlesnake and i thought it tasted good.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:41 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Rattler is ok, sort of reminded me of turtle. Haven't tried anything else, never needed to. To be honest, in my AO, trapping small game and even turkey or deer is easier and burns less energy than hunting snakes. Of course, a couple bad days on the trotlines, and a snake dropping into the boat could be in mortal danger...

Old 02-23-2017, 05:56 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
I work with a bunch of snakes, I wouldn't eat a one of them and try to avoid them. Every one of them are poison. They are always telling things to the boss about me.

But after this job, I'll never work with snakes again.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:09 PM

608 posts, read 515,432 times
As far as I have read snake venom is only effective when injected into the blood system, other wise venomous snakes probably wouldn't survive their meal, and they will probably die if they manage to bite themselves.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
IMO, garter snakes are not worth the trouble.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Oh, but they are! They are small enough one can simply swallow them whole, avoiding the caloric expenditures of processing, cooking and chewing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness