Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 04:25 PM

178 posts, read 172,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No way. Post your evidence, if you have any.
Try it yourself. Perhaps you will learn something.
You are aware that that is for the most part but on a larger scale just how bullets are made.
They dont pour liquid lead into the jacket you know.
Many different sized bullets are made from the same blank. Just pressed differently into different dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 04:29 PM

10,563 posts, read 5,581,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Try it yourself. Perhaps you will learn something.
You are aware that that is for the most part but on a larger scale just how bullets are made.
They dont pour liquid lead into the jacket you know.
Many different sized bullets are made from the same blank. Just pressed differently into different dies.
Your argument seems to be changing from "I've done it" to "it can be done."

You should have no problem providing evidence of what you have done.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Even with a swaging press, you aren't going to swage a .308 UP in diameter to .357.
Expanding a bullet by swaging is generally called bumping. The bump die is a slightly larger die that permits this. I'll use the term swage up if you prefer. I have swaged bullets in .308 up to as much as .314, but I consider that the limit. Using a bump die eliminates the need for a full set of dies in every diameter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Sometime around then I couldnt tell you exactly when. They were my great grandfathers. He worked for Henry then Newhaven as a blacksmith. I even have balls of wrought iron that they pounded the dies out of.
With hammers. I know you dont like hammers and think they are inferior and a CNC machining center and 200 ton punch press is required but well, that is the way they made things back in the day.
Before the advent of machine tools, precision work was done with files. Blacksmiths only did the rough shaping unless they were adept with files..

Old 05-21-2017, 01:59 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,923,620 times
- I choose a Beebe Gun and a Water Gun.

A Beebe Gun for the big Wild Animals that comes into my yard
and a Water Gun for the Neighbor's Cat!

Anyone else, you choose, Ha!

Old 05-21-2017, 02:19 PM

300 posts, read 327,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Expanding a bullet by swaging is generally called bumping. The bump die is a slightly larger die that permits this. I'll use the term swage up if you prefer. I have swaged bullets in .308 up to as much as .314, but I consider that the limit. Using a bump die eliminates the need for a full set of dies in every diameter,

Before the advent of machine tools, precision work was done with files. Blacksmiths only did the rough shaping unless they were adept with files..

"you're going to make an O1 steel cube, 1" faces, dimensional and parallel within ten thou".

fun times, fun times. Doing it with composites is even more entertaining.

Anyway, entertaining thread so far. Quite entertaining.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
"you're going to make an O1 steel cube, 1" faces, dimensional and parallel within ten thou".

fun times, fun times. Doing it with composites is even more entertaining.

Anyway, entertaining thread so far. Quite entertaining.
Start reading the history of technology in general and firearms specifically. There were men two hundred years ago performing tasks equally challenging. They were doing it as routine work with a simple file.

Ten thousandths of an inch tolerance would never have been acceptable to British gun manufacturers of the late eighteenth century. Joe Manton would have spit at you for suggesting it.

There are many today who claim that the computer is far superior to the slide rule. They apparently never heard of Werner Von Braun.

Start reading; you'll cease to embarrass yourself.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Start reading the history of technology in general and firearms specifically. There were men two hundred years ago performing tasks equally challenging. They were doing it as routine work with a simple file.

Ten thousandths of an inch tolerance would never have been acceptable to British gun manufacturers of the late eighteenth century. Joe Manton would have spit at you for suggesting it.

There are many today who claim that the computer is far superior to the slide rule. They apparently never heard of Werner Von Braun.

Start reading; you'll cease to embarrass yourself.
Huh, had no idea I was embarrassing myself. Nothing new there, though!

Perhaps I needed to be a bit more clear in that I was talking about draw file work, and scraping. Then again, maybe not, I'm just an amateur at this, only been playing around with it for a few decades now. It sounds like you have many more years of experience at this than I do, so I'll just be on my merry way, and go play with reworking the Schwarzlose, and rewiring the darned Haflinger.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of Werner von Braun (correct spelling, by the way, the "von" is always lower case) though, wasn't he the guy that made electric razors?

Old 05-21-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
Huh, had no idea I was embarrassing myself. Nothing new there, though!

Perhaps I needed to be a bit more clear in that I was talking about draw file work, and scraping. Then again, maybe not, I'm just an amateur at this, only been playing around with it for a few decades now. It sounds like you have many more years of experience at this than I do, so I'll just be on my merry way, and go play with reworking the Schwarzlose, and rewiring the darned Haflinger.
It's too bad that you didn't learn anything about the history in all your many years. I'll leave you to "rework" your Schwartzlose.

Some people have fifty years experience; others have one year experience repeated fifty times.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
It's too bad that you didn't learn anything about the history in all your many years. I'll leave you to "rework" your Schwartzlose.

Some people have fifty years experience; others have one year experience repeated fifty times.
Heh, well, at least I got a chuckle and a head shake out of your attitude, so I thank you for that.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:57 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
This subject came up in conversation with a couple shooting buddies the other day. We were talking about putting together what we called and "emergency battle box". Basically just a collection of things that can be stored somewhere and be gotten to should our home weapons and supplies become inaccessible for some reason. At the doctors office the other day I saw an ad in an American Rifleman for WW2 98 Mausers for a quite reasonable price (around 300 rifles advertised as being in excellent condition) and 8mm steel core for 178 bucks for 900 rounds. That really got my attention. I had always figured if I got my hands on an old 98 I'd re barrel it to 06, but at that price I won't turn my nose up at original 8mm. It's hardly a slouch round.

So I put that forth as what I'd put in my box for a long gun. Nothing fancy but proven rugged, serviceable, powerful and simple. And ammo was surprisingly affordable. For a handgun I decided on a gun I never had any use for in any application I use a handgun for. But I'd find me a Glock 45, a used gun, (I believe the Glock full size 45 is a mod 21?) But here again I'm looking for tough, reliable, powerful and readily lending itself to long term storage. That's what I see in a Glock and I've got cases of 45 ACP stacked up.

The rest of the storage box would be food, medical supplies, spare weapons parts, extra clothing, blankets etc, a good sheath knife and a folder, a tomahawk, fire starting equipment, (for me a hand torch with 3 or 4 canisters of Mapp and a good supply of strike anywhere matches) and anything else I could think of that would keep a couple people alive, warm and in the fight so to speak.

I'd mentioned a 98 Mauser earlier on here and finding that ad in the magazine clinched it. I'm seriously considering putting this stash box together for real. Something else might replace the Glock after I do get out seriously shopping but whatever it ends up as it will be a 45. So the title question of the thread has become a reality for me. Thinking about the rifle has me excited. I've always wanted an old 98. I'v fired plenty of them and every one I've ever come across would put three rounds through one hole at 100 yards and would explode bowling balls at 2-300.

Should be a fun and practical project for my spare time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness