Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 01:54 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,166,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
This subject came up in conversation with a couple shooting buddies the other day. We were talking about putting together what we called and "emergency battle box". Basically just a collection of things that can be stored somewhere and be gotten to should our home weapons and supplies become inaccessible for some reason. At the doctors office the other day I saw an ad in an American Rifleman for WW2 98 Mausers for a quite reasonable price (around 300 rifles advertised as being in excellent condition) and 8mm steel core for 178 bucks for 900 rounds. That really got my attention. I had always figured if I got my hands on an old 98 I'd re barrel it to 06, but at that price I won't turn my nose up at original 8mm. It's hardly a slouch round.

So I put that forth as what I'd put in my box for a long gun. Nothing fancy but proven rugged, serviceable, powerful and simple. And ammo was surprisingly affordable. For a handgun I decided on a gun I never had any use for in any application I use a handgun for. But I'd find me a Glock 45, a used gun, (I believe the Glock full size 45 is a mod 21?) But here again I'm looking for tough, reliable, powerful and readily lending itself to long term storage. That's what I see in a Glock and I've got cases of 45 ACP stacked up.

The rest of the storage box would be food, medical supplies, spare weapons parts, extra clothing, blankets etc, a good sheath knife and a folder, a tomahawk, fire starting equipment, (for me a hand torch with 3 or 4 canisters of Mapp and a good supply of strike anywhere matches) and anything else I could think of that would keep a couple people alive, warm and in the fight so to speak.

I'd mentioned a 98 Mauser earlier on here and finding that ad in the magazine clinched it. I'm seriously considering putting this stash box together for real. Something else might replace the Glock after I do get out seriously shopping but whatever it ends up as it will be a 45. So the title question of the thread has become a reality for me. Thinking about the rifle has me excited. I've always wanted an old 98. I'v fired plenty of them and every one I've ever come across would put three rounds through one hole at 100 yards and would explode bowling balls at 2-300.

Should be a fun and practical project for my spare time.
Not bad choice. I'm sticking with an AR style because of its versatility. I just picked up a carbine for
Less than $400 from a very good maker (IMO) and that will be broken down and placed in preserving oil. Don't have the long term handgun yet, but these S&W shields can be gotten right. Ow for less than $250.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 06:54 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,611,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Not bad choice. I'm sticking with an AR style because of its versatility. I just picked up a carbine for
Less than $400 from a very good maker (IMO) and that will be broken down and placed in preserving oil. Don't have the long term handgun yet, but these S&W shields can be gotten right. Ow for less than $250.

I'm looking at a Thompson/Auto ordnance 1911 and doing another builder for my pistol choice. These guns are rough, but the frames and slides are good quality steel and make a good platform to smooth up and make into good performers. I've done three builds on Thompsons and they all turned out very good. I just pitch all the guts, do a smoothing up of the frame/slide fit, strip the finish and re blue, then replace the innards with parts from performance manufacturers. Ed Brow, Wilson, Les Baer whatever tickles me. I hve a lot of 1911 parts from various such makers on hand already.

A barrel and bushing set would be the big parts expense. I'd probably go with an Ed Brown as I have two or three match bushings from him already. I'd still have less than 500 into the build and have a nice 1911. If I just bought a frame and slide and not a "finished" pistol I could save a couple hundred right there. I think I'll check and see if I can just order the frame and slide in the white. Pretty sure I can. I like doing my own finish work, and in the white saves me having to strip Parkerizing, which is a bit of a pain.

If I go this route, I've got a good solid pistol that I know I can keep running. I don't know anything about Glocks, but 1911s I've been working on for decades now. This is the path I believe I'll take. I need another project gun to do. The bench is currently empty.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,273,856 times
Quote:
I'm looking at a Thompson/Auto ordnance 1911 and doing another builder for my pistol choice. These guns are rough, but the frames and slides are good quality steel and make a good platform to smooth up and make into good performers. I've done three builds on Thompsons and they all turned out very good. I just pitch all the guts, do a smoothing up of the frame/slide fit, strip the finish and re blue, then replace the innards with parts from performance manufacturers. Ed Brow, Wilson, Les Baer whatever tickles me. I hve a lot of 1911 parts from various such makers on hand already.

A barrel and bushing set would be the big parts expense. I'd probably go with an Ed Brown as I have two or three match bushings from him already. I'd still have less than 500 into the build and have a nice 1911. If I just bought a frame and slide and not a "finished" pistol I could save a couple hundred right there. I think I'll check and see if I can just order the frame and slide in the white. Pretty sure I can. I like doing my own finish work, and in the white saves me having to strip Parkerizing, which is a bit of a pain.

If I go this route, I've got a good solid pistol that I know I can keep running. I don't know anything about Glocks, but 1911s I've been working on for decades now. This is the path I believe I'll take. I need another project gun to do. The bench is currently empty.
You generally don't need to "keep a Glock running". I carry one 24/7. It's a first generation model 17. I have shot competition with it, killed game up to deer with it, and carried it most of the time since I was 21, other than some brief dalliances with a couple of really nice 1911's. It has somewhere north of 100,000 rounds down the pipe so far. One malfunction, with some really exotic Aquila ammo. Wouldn't eat that stuff at all. EVERYTHING else has been trouble-free. It is far from all I have, but it is all I carry. The only things I ever replaced were the sights and the trigger connector. Did those things right after I got it, put on night sights, and changed the trigger pull from 5.5 lbs. to 3.5. Been rolling that way ever since. Beginning to wonder if I will ever need the spare parts I put back...

Old 05-22-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
You generally don't need to "keep a Glock running". I carry one 24/7. It's a first generation model 17. I have shot competition with it, killed game up to deer with it, and carried it most of the time since I was 21, other than some brief dalliances with a couple of really nice 1911's. It has somewhere north of 100,000 rounds down the pipe so far. One malfunction, with some really exotic Aquila ammo. Wouldn't eat that stuff at all. EVERYTHING else has been trouble-free. It is far from all I have, but it is all I carry. The only things I ever replaced were the sights and the trigger connector. Did those things right after I got it, put on night sights, and changed the trigger pull from 5.5 lbs. to 3.5. Been rolling that way ever since. Beginning to wonder if I will ever need the spare parts I put back...

I've had two parts go on my competition/carry 1911. An extractor and a slide stop. The extractor was an original Norinco part that didn't get replaced on the initial build, so that was no real surprise it goobered up. It's was replaced with an Ed Brown Hardcore and has seen well north of 100,000 since. The slide stop was a stock GI. It didn't break, but had worn down on the contact point with the link and was causing bad accuracy issues. Also replaced with an Ed Brown Hardcore. I'm on my third barrel/bushing. None of the barrels wore out, I just upgraded until I've reached the pinnacle. The numbered Camp Perry NM barrel/ bushing set I lucked into.

The Ed Brown that was in the gun prior is now in my sons 1911 and the stock Norinco barrel is living in a Thompson slide/Para Ordnance hi cap conversion lower I put together. My change of heart with the Glock isn't because I doubt it's capabilities, it's cost, the wanting of another project and that I just know 1911s inside and out. Wanting the project is the biggy. I LOVE building 1911s. I may even go with the Commander size. I've only done one Commander, and I kick myself for selling it.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:54 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,780,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Many people that practice self sufficiency and preparedness believe in owning firearms. I am in that camp as well, but I'm not in the camp that believes in the need to have thousands and thousands of rounds. Quite frankly ammo is heavy. Ammo can be damaged. Ammo can also be used as currency. Same can be said of guns. Let's be real, you ain't holding off a a determined foe with multiple attackers. You will eventually be over run or overwhelmed with superior firepower.

So, if you could only choose two or three calibers or guns, what would they be and why?

I know everyone's choices will come down to locational needs.

Me:
AR-10-defensive and hunting gun. I can drop any animal in North America with it.
12 gauge shotgun-migratory birds are very common here and it could double as a defensive gun.
22 pistol with a longer barrel. Can be defensive as well as a hunting gun.

I could also swap the AR-10 for an AR-15 or a 22 rifle and the 22 handgun for a 9mm.

For me it would have to be based on abundance of rounds. I'd have to go with a handgun 9mm, 45, or 38; def a 12g pump; and for the long gun... either a 308 since it is much more effective than the 223 or a long gun which could share the hand gun rounds. 3 guns and only two rounds to worry about.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
For me it would have to be based on abundance of rounds. I'd have to go with a handgun 9mm, 45, or 38; def a 12g pump; and for the long gun... either a 308 since it is much more effective than the 223 or a long gun which could share the hand gun rounds. 3 guns and only two rounds to worry about.
I went for a good while on a .45 Colt revolver and a Winchester 94 in the same caliber. Of course, I did not concealed carry then, or carry at all other than when out in the woods or on the river. Never felt undergunned....

A scoped .308 would round out the needs, adding a long range capability.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I went for a good while on a .45 Colt revolver and a Winchester 94 in the same caliber. Of course, I did not concealed carry then, or carry at all other than when out in the woods or on the river. Never felt undergunned....

A scoped .308 would round out the needs, adding a long range capability.

I had a mod 25 SW 45 Colt paired with a Marlin 94 Cowboy. I love the 45 Colt. I had a load for the Marlin (didn't use it in the Smith) 300 gr Hornady XTP with 20 gr of Win 296 that was a real thumper. Being as I can use 45 ACP bullets as well, I can load weights ranging from 180 to 350 gr. Versatility plus. The old girl is far from obsolete. Folks can keep their 44 mags, though I've nothing against that round. I just feel I can do anything the 44 will do with the old Colt. If I didn't hand load I would probably feel differently. Factory Colt is spendy for mediocre performance.

They just don't want someone stuffing a round loaded for strong modern guns in great grandpas old Colt SAA.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:38 PM

That is the truth about the reason for 45 Colt mediocrity in company offerings. And from what I see at public gun ranges, it is smart of the manufacturers...

For my .45's, I used a simple and very cost effective load. It did all I needed, from rabbits to deer, and would have served for social use if needed. Not designed for any one task, but workable for a wide range. I used a 255 gr. semi wadcutter cast bullet over 4.5 grs. of Red Dot with a Winchester Lg. Pistol primer. Not a hot load, but hot enough and cheap as all get out. Making my own slugs, I could load for that maybe cheaper than buying .22 ammo. Brass lasted very well, and I got over 1500 rounds out of a pound of Red Dot. I could use it without taxing my faux-Peacemaker, and it made small groups out of both guns. Ate a lot of head-shot rabbits and the like over the years I used that combo...

Old 05-25-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
That is the truth about the reason for 45 Colt mediocrity in company offerings. And from what I see at public gun ranges, it is smart of the manufacturers...

For my .45's, I used a simple and very cost effective load. It did all I needed, from rabbits to deer, and would have served for social use if needed. Not designed for any one task, but workable for a wide range. I used a 255 gr. semi wadcutter cast bullet over 4.5 grs. of Red Dot with a Winchester Lg. Pistol primer. Not a hot load, but hot enough and cheap as all get out. Making my own slugs, I could load for that maybe cheaper than buying .22 ammo. Brass lasted very well, and I got over 1500 rounds out of a pound of Red Dot. I could use it without taxing my faux-Peacemaker, and it made small groups out of both guns. Ate a lot of head-shot rabbits and the like over the years I used that combo...

Red Dot made for THE most accurate Colt loads I ever put together. I used 5 gr and in my Anaconda (that I sadly don't have anymore) my Blackhawk and the mod 25 it would put 5 rounds through one hole at 25 yards. I used the mod 25 in bowling pin matches and used that load, and it would put the pins right off the table, which is not as easy as it sounds. Same bullet. 255 cast SWC.

Red Dot is a GREAT powder for 45 Colt.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Red Dot made for THE most accurate Colt loads I ever put together. I used 5 gr and in my Anaconda (that I sadly don't have anymore) my Blackhawk and the mod 25 it would put 5 rounds through one hole at 25 yards. I used the mod 25 in bowling pin matches and used that load, and it would put the pins right off the table, which is not as easy as it sounds. Same bullet. 255 cast SWC.

Red Dot is a GREAT powder for 45 Colt.
Great minds think alike, it seems....

And I would rather carry "Grandpa's old SAA" any day than all the Redhawks ever produced. It took my Glock a lot of ammunition and dry firing to get to be as instinctive as the old faux Peacemaker was... Not as much for the 1911 or the Hi-Power. I think I must have lived a previous life, born maybe around 1870ish, died in a raging gun battle with rival moonshiners or the fibbies during Prohibition....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness