Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:16 PM

60 posts, read 62,194 times

Advertisements

That would be one hell of a HUGE EMP..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 07:35 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,146,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
The reason why an EMP attack is unlikely is no one knows the scale of the potential effects, including those who have the ability to launch it.
The scale of the effects is well-known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Well, I am 63, and I think something eventually MUST happen to greatly diminish the world's population, although (of course) I have no idea what that would be.
The Earth can easily sustain 60 Billion people, but don't worry, population will top out between 17 Billion to 18 Billion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I would say most of military equipment is EMP proof
Well, you'd be wrong. The cost is way too high to EMP-proof military equipment.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:40 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,115,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The Earth can easily sustain 60 Billion people....

Well, you'd be wrong. The cost is way too high to EMP-proof military equipment.
Bahahahaha...

Whatever you say

Old 06-27-2017, 08:17 AM

2,897 posts, read 1,860,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Bahahahaha...

Whatever you say
He's right. Very little military equipment is actually specifically designed to be EMP hardened.

It costs more money, with military procurement they typically went for the cheaper available option. And when components were offered at a cheap price, or spend double/triple to harden the circuit board guess what was chosen?

At the end of the cold war especially when ww3 didn't seem realistic anymore They definitely cut out all of requirements for EMP resistanc except in very specific systems

The frigging E4b has special designed windshields with metal mesh inside it to ensure the entire plane is a flying faraday cage. Very few planes have anything remotely close to this.

There is a reason NORAAD just moved BACK into Cheyenne mountain.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:45 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,577,348 times
I had worried that our vehicles would no longer function if we were hit with an EMP, but this article makes me feel better about that. https://jalopnik.com/5937778/how-to-...houldnt-bother

Old 09-27-2017, 06:35 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,115,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
He's right. Very little military equipment is actually specifically designed to be EMP hardened.

It costs more money, with military procurement they typically went for the cheaper available option. And when components were offered at a cheap price, or spend double/triple to harden the circuit board guess what was chosen?

At the end of the cold war especially when ww3 didn't seem realistic anymore They definitely cut out all of requirements for EMP resistanc except in very specific systems

The frigging E4b has special designed windshields with metal mesh inside it to ensure the entire plane is a flying faraday cage. Very few planes have anything remotely close to this.

There is a reason NORAAD just moved BACK into Cheyenne mountain.
Ya I'm sure the shadow government......the ones that want population reduction......would allow all the military vehicles to be useless.

(sarcasm)

They need them for the "event"

Old 09-27-2017, 07:31 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,005,368 times
So I think I'd like to go for a drive after an EMP event. How old of a car would I need. Something from the 60's maybe. A car with points and a condenser and rotor? Maybe an antique diesel tractor? An antique diesel tractor pulling a hay wagon would make a great after EMP party vehicle.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:32 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,569,560 times
I was reading something recently about what to expect after a big disaster and it stated the time it takes for your otherwise friendly neighbor next door, to become vicious enough to break down your door and kill your entire family for just the food in the fridge... is about 7-10 days!!!!!

I think the TV show walking dead is a pretty realistic depiction of what life in the US would come to if an EMP or similar attack happened, without the zombies of course, but still, it would become a very dangerous place. I think small groups would form quicker though, and groups would probably raid pharmacies, medical supply places, food centers, etc and take control over everything people will eventually need to survive, and try to profit off this in some way.

Just like the walking dead too, I think we would see tyrants rise up, and take control over certain regions, it would really be a mad max type world, only the strong would survive long term.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:00 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,589,058 times
At the risk of offending, I offer a different view—at least with respect to cars.

https://jalopnik.com/5937778/how-to-...houldnt-bother

Old 09-28-2017, 07:12 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,577,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
At the risk of offending, I offer a different view—at least with respect to cars.

https://jalopnik.com/5937778/how-to-...houldnt-bother
Funny, I just posted that exact article a few posts up. Where did you get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness