Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times

Advertisements

ladies and gentleman - take my advice,
stock up on ammo, red beans and rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Think of it.

It's the only way to really press the "reset button" for the country. I think it will be done by those in power and they'll blame it on North Korea or terrorists.

If the power was out for a year 75% of Americans would be dead when/if they put the power back on.

Welfare leeches would die.
Disabled and old people would die.
People would starve and get sick and die.
Pensions.....GONE.
DEBT.........GONE.
It would hit the U.S., Canada and other advanced countries hard. And yes, millions of young people, including preppers, would be eliminated, as well as the elderly and disabled.

However, countries that are less dependent on electronic gadgetry would probably fare better and rise in relative importance.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,863,125 times
Quote:
Didn't know book 3 of the series was out!

Book 8 of the going home series is out too!

Thanks!

I really think it's going to happen
The final day was great and eerily prophetic since it was written before all of today's current events. It really pulls the other 2 together I highly recommend it.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:28 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,863,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It would hit the U.S., Canada and other advanced countries hard. And yes, millions of young people, including preppers, would be eliminated, as well as the elderly and disabled.

However, countries that are less dependent on electronic gadgetry would probably fare better and rise in relative importance.
I don't wish an EMP on anyone.

Anyone who wishes for an emp is an idiot. I'm more prepared for something like this than may be 90% of our population and I still know the chances of myself family and children dying and suffering extreme hardship is very high.

I would hate to watch my daughter or wife die from something stupid like strep throat or an infection. I would hate to watch neighbors friends and loved ones slowly starve to death, become victims to violent attacks or die of disease.

No thanks.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
A years worth of food and water. Sun oven. Gas grill with 5 extra tanks. Guns ammo. Hygiene products. Prayer...
So what impact do those less fortunate impact your life so much as you to want them all dead.?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Look, humanity survived for millennia without electricity. Those of us who have found other ways to deal with lighting, cooking, sanitation and other modern conveniences, would survive just fine. Age really has less to do with it than adaptability.

But for the disenfranchised youth of today, burdened with school loans and credit card debt, yearning for relief and "reset" from what they imagine to be the "takers" (the older generation living on pensions I guess we didn't earn ), I say, don't hold your breath. The deep state is made of uber-wealthy who hold their billions in digital accounts. This is by necessity, as there are not enough hard assets for them to cash out their wealth. And they're not about to voluntarily lose it.

Kiddos, dream on - but make other plans.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
A years worth of food and water. Sun oven. Gas grill with 5 extra tanks. Guns ammo. Hygiene products. Prayer...
I'd say that last item is the most important. When you're on your own you have to hope you don't fall down a steep hill, develop a debilitating medical condition, be bitten by a snake or a spider, get snipered or ambushed by some desperate yahoo, etc., etc.

If you're cooking on a gas grill, it would probably be best to make sure the aromas don't attract folks who'd like to borrow a few of those extra tanks and some of your food, water and ammo.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:11 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If you're cooking on a gas grill, it would probably be best to make sure the aromas don't attract folks who'd like to borrow a few of those extra tanks and some of your food, water and ammo.
I was thinking the same thing, if you got it all while others have nothing it wont be long before they gonna have all your stuff.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:15 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
As usual, many folks think the only 'prepping' is storing things to be used later after some sort of disaster. Which works if the event is of a short duration, but how long would it take everyone to recover from a worldwide EMP? Probably much longer than your supply of beans would last.

Set up systems so you can survive without any extra inputs if you're worried about a long lasting event. If you're already gardening, your garden will still feed you after the EMP. If you have food stored in jars (home canned food) it will be fine after the EMP and with no electricity. And, if you have home canned food, then you'll know how to make more for winter. If you already have chickens that are being fed from your property, you'll still have chickens and eggs afterwards.

Prior to 1930, most of this country would be able to live well without electricity, but they also had the infrastructure in place to do it. Farms were run with people and animal power, markets (and the people who depended on them) were close enough to get farm products delivered to them via animal powered wagons. There were trains at that time and a steam train would work after an EMP, wouldn't it? Actually, we just sold a car that wouldn't have been affected by an EMP, but it would still rely on gasoline that would have to be produced and delivered via routes which would have been affected by an EMP so it would have a short term of functionality after the event even though it wasn't directly affected by the event. But in any case, folks did well without electricity because it was set up for the whole community to be without electricity.

Folks also did without a lot of stuff that people take for granted today. Most folks only had several changes of clothing. They ate a lot less meat and it was mostly chicken and pork, not as much beef. Mostly because with a lack of refrigeration, storing that much meat at one time becomes a problem. You either sell it to a large group of folks or dry it for later. Some of it can be canned, if you have enough jars. Chickens, rabbits, sheep and goats are small enough that they can be eaten before the meat goes bad. Pigs are bigger and were usually slaughtered in the fall so there'd be cooler weather to keep the meat from going bad. Cows were frequently slaughtered for a large event such as a festival or feast since then there'd be a lot of folks to eat it.

But, all that was done in a different social set up and with different infrastructure. If you're going to successfully go back to that sort of thing, you'll have to replace the setting it works in.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:29 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
The final day was great and eerily prophetic since it was written before all of today's current events. It really pulls the other 2 together I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness