Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:41 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times

Advertisements

One thing about the self sufficiency and preparedness lifestyle is a bug out bag. In this circle there are legit practitioners and then there are keyboard warriors. Ammo and guns always get brought up. While moving this week, I moved my ammo stash. It isn't a lot, but it sure was heavy.

I've humped my fair share of heavy backs while in the Marine Corps. It wasn't easy then, and I'm 20 years older and 50 lbs heavier. Realistically what is an ideal weight for a bugout bag?
What about a self sufficiency bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Realistically what is an ideal weight for a bugout bag?
There is no definitive answer for this, as I'm sure you are aware. It depends on:

How far you are going
How long you intend to stay there
How much gear you 'need' or 'want'
Your age, gender, fitness level
The number of people in your party

A 30 yo old male may be in top shape, but could have 2 young children to carry for. A 50 yo female in average shape may share part of a load with her spouse. A loner of any age might choose to 'rough it' as he only has 20 miles to cover. Someone with high-tech backpacking gear can manage more weight.

The answer is, "It depends".

Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
^ It would depend on what you want to do with it. For a lot of people in a lot of situations, I don't think i"bugging out" is a particularly realistic option.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:51 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
I have a bag, I don't consider it my bug out bag, just a convenient outdoors bag I store with supplies I may need to use in a hurry.

For me, the lighter this bag is, the better. Ounces add up to pounds really fast. I prefer to keep it around 20 pounds or less. Add a gallon of water and I'm up to 28 pounds. Sure I can pack more if I had to, but 28 pounds is still a very hefty pack to be wearing all day. Start adding food and it gets up in weight even faster.

I have visqueen plastic (water distill, emergency light weight shelter), thermablanket, a trash bag, a tampon (fire starter, wound filler), life straw water filter, iodine tabs, flint, bic lighters, waterproof matches, tinder, metal wire, leatherman tool, full tang knife, roll of duct tape, 550 Paracord, a whistle, a mirror, a compass, zip ties, water proof pen and paper, folding camping shovel and I'm sure there's a variety of little trinkets fallen to the bottom I've forgotten about in there as well.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:10 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,201,797 times
This guy used a small trailer that he hauled in his walk around the world.
https://refuga.com/blog/karl-bushby-...und-the-world/

Old 06-30-2017, 11:11 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
As light as possible....

Old 06-30-2017, 11:29 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
This guy used a small trailer that he hauled in his walk around the world.
https://refuga.com/blog/karl-bushby-...und-the-world/
A small trailer that you could push and pull would definitely be better if you were trying to carry serious weight. Many hardcore desert Trekkers use a cart just to carry the water. I have a few carts I use around the property for just about everything. I even have a small one wheeled cart/dolly that works great and is very agile.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:42 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
I always carry an emergency pack in my truck, it's the same kit I use hunting except I don't keep water in the stored pack.
My pack weighs around 15 lbs,(without water), and I am comfortable in all but deep winter for a week with no problem. One weight saver is that I have a space blanket sleeping bag, and use that over the wool capote I wear all day when hunting, and I usually carry a large wool blanket if I'm expecting real cold that goes over the space bag, really warm combo for sleeping on a bed of fur boughs, for not a lot of weight.

Dehydrated foods, like jerky, soup mixes and cold flour are great for sustenance without adding a lot of weight. A weeks worth of food like this usually only weighs a couple pounds.

If I were in arid instead of cold country, I'd add all the water I could carry even if it means leaving an extra blanket or something behind.

Depending on your skills and where you are, the better woodsman you are, or in areas where it's easy to forage for food, you won't need as much gear or supplies as someone that has to depend on what's in that pack.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 06-30-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 12:25 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,090 times
My pack full of air weight unobtanium cost me the national treasury, but I have everything I need or want to survive in style for a century or more! It weighs -35 lbs., which really helps while trekking from home to my BOL on the Yucatán peninsula...

I wear shoes I can walk home in, clothes I can spend a week outside in, and I always have a knife, multitool, lighter, flashlight and pistol with spare mags wherever I am. I can get home from wherever I usually go just fine on that inventory. If traveling, camping gear and a long gun are in the truck. I am not near a railroad, military base, chemical warehouse or anything of the sort, so bugging out of home is a very remote possibility. If I have to bug out of home, it's all the ammo I can carry and a good rifle, plus a knife and tomahawk. I plan to be back home by morning...

Old 06-30-2017, 06:15 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
There is no such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness