Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 PM

8,922 posts, read 4,626,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
How is a small batch concrete foundation fone in smsll sections better than one continuous pour?
Never said it was better.
But, under the supervision of a professional, it can be more than sufficient.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 08:59 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Interesting idea, but (I misremembered) Bath Circus being atop a substantial hill, so it is unlikely to ever be faced with flooding, and 'urricanes 'ardly hever 'appen in this part of hEngland. As best I recall, it's a semi-circle, with a large sloped lawn in front (nope, I was wrong - see below).

Edited to add that I am thinking about a similar structure in Bath, again with townhouses but a crescent, not a circus.

You are correct, Bath Circus is divided into three equal parts with entrances into the center area between each of the three buildings. Similar buildings can be found in the New Town of Edinburgh and Leamington Spa.

The city of Bath is quite hilly - the Roman Baths and the adjacent Bath Abbey are at the bottom of the hill, very close to the River Avon - yet they have endured all these centuries, which I would assume have included a flood or two or more. There's no argument that solid construction - stone, in these cases - can withstand most weather-related disasters.

Many of Houston's larger flooded houses appear to have suffered little other exterior structural damage, and mature trees are still standing near them. They seem to have weathered hurricane-force winds quite well - it's the flooding that's the main issue now, of course. I expect the interiors would show substantially more damage, especially if drywall rather than plaster is the rule. Even plaster wouldn't do well with this kind of standing water, of course...My guess is that the large majority of these houses will have to be gutted and have their interiors completely rebuilt, if their owners choose to keep them. But at least the exterior shells are intact.
The previous post didn't say that the CIRCUS was the solution, but that a RING building looked similar to it. And the CIRCUS does not have a robust barrier exterior wall. Whereas a dual ring village with a single, water tight double gateway, would have been flood resistant up to the height of the exterior wall (40 to 50 feet).

Old 08-31-2017, 09:07 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not to say that material would not be better in many ways but it looks soul-less, ugly, and prison-like...
Please explain how you define soul-less, ugly, and prison-like.
And how does that relate to the efficacy of a demo house built in seven days, of resilient materials that will not succumb to most natural hazards and disasters?

Old 09-02-2017, 01:14 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I hope any of our members affected by the hurricane this week are coping well.

The situation reminds me that one must make preps with a mind towards the disaster for which one is prepping: having food stored in the basement probably isn't doing anybody any good in that area this week. Keeping a boat/canoe/raft on hand would have been smart.

I saw films of the scum looting a shoe store in Houston. They cleaned off everything from all the shelves... except in the work boot aisle.
Most homes in Houston don't have basements.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:21 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Most homes in Houston don't have basements.
Yet another person pointing that out for us. Thank you for your astute analysis. May I point out that concrete thinking is a cardinal sign of schizophrenia?

My point was that any preps that involved staying at home were useless in this instance. One should make contingency plans for the likely possibilities. Storing food (anywhere) that isn't portable won't help if the crisis demands fleeing. Putting up ostentatious physical defenses won't help if the crisis will demand stealth.
Etc etc.

Determine the most likely specific crises and make plans accordingly.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Yet another person pointing that out for us. Thank you for your astute analysis. May I point out that concrete thinking is a cardinal sign of schizophrenia?
Gee, I just thought I was anal LoL

Quote:
How far are you from the Clam Lake, Wisconsin ELF facility?

Just kidding, I suspect you are around 100 miles south of it.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:18 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
More like 200-- not far from Camp Douglas. We get the occasional fly-by from the black helicopters. "Don't look up!"

Old 09-04-2017, 03:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:

My point was that any preps that involved staying at home were useless in this instance. One should make contingency plans for the likely possibilities. Storing food (anywhere) that isn't portable won't help if the crisis demands fleeing. Putting up ostentatious physical defenses won't help if the crisis will demand stealth.
Etc etc.

The first step in rational planning for those living in areas subject to hurricanes is very simple: move. If you stay, you prove that you are concerned neither with your life nor your property.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:54 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The first step in rational planning for those living in areas subject to hurricanes is very simple: move. If you stay, you prove that you are concerned neither with your life nor your property.
Numbers! In and around Houston there are about 6,500,000 people. In and around Miami, that could get a direct hit from Irma, you have another 5,500,000 people. So all together (hopefully Miami does not get hit) we could have almost 12,000,000 people and that is not even counting if Irma damages the whole southeastern seaboard.

You have people in Wyoming that would love to live in a warm climate close to the ocean. In the Northeast; we have people that move to Florida to retire all the time. What you are proposing is the same as telling motorist that our government is going to install a governor on all of our vehicles so they will never break the speed limit - it would never happen.

I am not saying that you are not right; it is idiotic to keep building where you are hit with one disaster after another. But lets say that everybody moves to Wyoming and the super volcano explodes? Or everybody moves to California and the big earthquake comes or Oklahoma and there is a rash of F5 tornadoes. Almost every place has some risk and Mother Nature can prove anybody wrong.

Could Houston or Miami have better drainage or better planning; of course. Could we build better housing that could sustain flooding and winds; of course. And, in some of the lower areas, yes; we should avoid building or rebuilding.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
... What you are proposing is the same as telling motorist that our government is going to install a governor on all of our vehicles so they will never break the speed limit - it would never happen. ...
No, she said "rational planning" not government control.

Rational planning is not keeping the pedal to the medal
when your speed is surpassing anything safe.

My estimates are that only about 15% of Americans are
rational, so there isn't much danger of them all moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness