Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:31 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
Thank you, everyone, for all your wonderful responses. This might sound like a weird question (but this is the preparedness forum, right? So, some amount of planning ahead encouraged? ).

We would have to sell our house in southeastern VA to do this the way we'd want to (we're in the middle of a city, we don't have nearly enough land for expansion, etc.), so, really, VA or NY would require a move anyway. If someone's thinking ahead toward climate change, wouldn't it make more sense, weather-wise, to start a farm in the northeast where the water is? Or does the relative lack of sunlight (and warmth) negate that benefit?

This is a map I found with drought predictions. The northeast seems like a better bet from a long-range water perspective. But am I missing something?

(Scroll down to Water Supply Sustainability Index. I tried to cut and paste, but it wouldn't work.)

Mid-Atlantic Drought Information
This is a preparedness forum, but I put global warming alongside zombies in my plans.

Global temps have been rising for 10,000 years, otherwise we'd still have glaciers three miles high over most of the country. We're entering a solar minimum cycle, so temps will probably cool off for a while.

In either case, a temperate climate with good soil and water are your starting point.

If you are desperate enough to use global warming as an excuse to move to New York, just go. You don't need an excuse if that's what you want to do anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 12:40 PM

312 posts, read 354,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Farming can be a long struggle. I think the lifestyle it offers is a far superior environment for raising children. Nobody can predict if a child will find his/her path in any given career field.

One of our neighboring families is a good example, both parents have high paying jobs and they want their children to be 'country'. They own a large property where they board and train horses. They are active with a 'trail-riding' group and most weekends they are off on competitive events with their daughters. They are hoping that raising their daughters to train horses, it will give their daughters a firm rural outlook on life. Their eldest daughter wants to be a vet. Granted there is no way to earn a living from trail-riding, so I am hesitant to call it a career field. But I can understand their motive.

I have gone to a few workshops on generational transitioning of farms. The primary theme seems to be for older farmers to attract young adults interested in farming, bring them in as apprentices and eventually sign partnership contracts.

This region has various 'Apprenticeship / Journeyman' types of programs that offer farm ownership.

I have a friend who sees his life calling to start new farms and training new farmers to farm them. So far he is on his fourth such farm.

But you still can not guarantee that your children will want to take over such a farm.
I need to get in touch with your friend.

My second oldest (12) is actually the one who's spurring this on. He's wanted to be a chef since...well, it's the only thing he's ever wanted to be. He's the one who wants the farm to table venture and the two younger kids just want the farm. My oldest is a little directionless. It's hard to know what he'll want to do or if he'll have any interest in joining in on any of this. But my husband and I would like the land, and a farm would be something I'd be interested in keeping up with even if the kids eventually decide it's not their thing. At the very least, it'll be a good place for the grandkids to visit.

Thank you for your insights!

Old 09-29-2017, 12:43 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
This is a map I found with drought predictions. The northeast seems like a better bet from a long-range water perspective.
Mid-Atlantic Drought Information
DROUGHTS HAPPEN

It's a fact that as population keeps growing, it will stress the fresh water supply. As to droughts, probably the best strategy is to prepare for them with your own backup water supply, whether cisterns of drinking water, large ponds (used for aquaculture), or low water agriculture [see: Israeli example of farming ].

In Jawjuh, we had a few bad run-ins with multi-year droughts that really hurt small farmers and landscape businesses. . . even killed off one that was around for 120 years. Local man-made lakes were turning into mud pits. Then, wham, water worries gone with a return of the rains.

If I were to start a garden or minifarm, I might consider installing drip irrigation now, before the "rush". Get into the habit of not wasting fresh water.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 PM

271 posts, read 190,851 times
changed mind, sorry

Last edited by SierraCountyMtnBiker; 09-29-2017 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: changed mind

Old 09-29-2017, 01:00 PM

Another idea:
We just put an offer on a home which was accepted but who knows, we're having some bumps. This is the area I highly suggest:

You could live and farm here- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierraville,_California
They have a church which looks great, we are hoping to belong to after we move to Sierra City (1/2 hr away). This is a lower cola area.

Then you can open a Seasonal Restaurant in Sierra City just 35 min away. There are a few restaurants which are closed already so you'll have your pick. Check on Realtor.com and type in Sierra City. They are for sale. Ask if there is a water problem there, just in case.

Sierra City is swamped and is adjacent to Downieville which is also swamped w/ Tourists over the summer. Again, ask about the water. It would likely be a seasonal restaurant also. But could operate up to half of the year. There may be restaurant opportunities in Downieville but I don't know offhand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_City,_California

Sierra City gets alot of snow over the wintertime so I assume it couldn't work year-round. I'd just go for seasonally if it were me

I sent you a greenie about some property we have in a somewhat remote off-grid town known for it's recreation. This is also where the towns Restaurant is located. It acts as a restaurant, bar and post office. Though not listed for sale, the owner would likely sell it as she's been wanting to for years. Had it for sale off and on. But I think the above ^^^ is a much smarter investment

Last edited by SierraCountyMtnBiker; 09-29-2017 at 01:24 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 01:15 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
I need to get in touch with your friend.

My second oldest (12) is actually the one who's spurring this on. He's wanted to be a chef since...well, it's the only thing he's ever wanted to be. He's the one who wants the farm to table venture and the two younger kids just want the farm. My oldest is a little directionless. It's hard to know what he'll want to do or if he'll have any interest in joining in on any of this. But my husband and I would like the land, and a farm would be something I'd be interested in keeping up with even if the kids eventually decide it's not their thing. At the very least, it'll be a good place for the grandkids to visit.

Thank you for your insights!
Tom has started four farms on his own. With each of them, he has taken on Apprentices, convinced them to form partnerships to buy him out. So that he was then able to start up a new farm. Tom is currently on his fourth such farm, looking for Apprentices, ...

Here is a news article is about a family farm, in the article the wife got her start in farming as an apprentice for Tom at Peacemeal farm.

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/02/2...ve-no-regrets/

Also:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/38179261-post25.html

Old 09-29-2017, 01:27 PM

For the restaurant portion, Cullinary schools will often send a group of young apprentices too.

I believe at no cost

You'll need to have somewhere for them to live though.

Bunk beds in a room w/shared bath would probably suffice

You may want to just consider a local farm stand on the side of the highway or a busy road where you live

in place of a restaurant. Less red tape

Old 09-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Tom has started four farms on his own. With each of them, he has taken on Apprentices, convinced them to form partnerships to buy him out. So that he was then able to start up a new farm. Tom is currently on his fourth such farm, looking for Apprentices, ...

Here is a news article is about a family farm, in the article the wife got her start in farming as an apprentice for Tom at Peacemeal farm.

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/02/2...ve-no-regrets/

Also:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/38179261-post25.html
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Such a great article (I love their family dynamic!) and definitely some new directions to consider. Maine is sounding better all the time.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
Another idea:
We just put an offer on a home which was accepted but who knows, we're having some bumps. This is the area I highly suggest:

You could live and farm here- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierraville,_California
They have a church which looks great, we are hoping to belong to after we move to Sierra City (1/2 hr away). This is a lower cola area.

Then you can open a Seasonal Restaurant in Sierra City just 35 min away. There are a few restaurants which are closed already so you'll have your pick. Check on Realtor.com and type in Sierra City. They are for sale. Ask if there is a water problem there, just in case.

Sierra City is swamped and is adjacent to Downieville which is also swamped w/ Tourists over the summer. Again, ask about the water. It would likely be a seasonal restaurant also. But could operate up to half of the year. There may be restaurant opportunities in Downieville but I don't know offhand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_City,_California

Sierra City gets alot of snow over the wintertime so I assume it couldn't work year-round. I'd just go for seasonally if it were me

I sent you a greenie about some property we have in a somewhat remote off-grid town known for it's recreation. This is also where the towns Restaurant is located. It acts as a restaurant, bar and post office. Though not listed for sale, the owner would likely sell it as she's been wanting to for years. Had it for sale off and on. But I think the above ^^^ is a much smarter investment
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
For the restaurant portion, Cullinary schools will often send a group of young apprentices too.

I believe at no cost

You'll need to have somewhere for them to live though.

Bunk beds in a room w/shared bath would probably suffice

You may want to just consider a local farm stand on the side of the highway or a busy road where you live

in place of a restaurant. Less red tape

Thank you for the ideas! Lol, I have no idea what a "greenie" is, but we're really most likely to stay on the east coast. Both my husband and I have lived out west, and we really prefer the higher humidity and general lushness of the east. When my husband first moved to NY with me, he cried out, "My God, you live in a forest!" It was just outside Buffalo, but, compared to CO, it seemed pretty overgrown. We kind of love that.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the ideas! Lol, I have no idea what a "greenie" is, but we're really most likely to stay on the east coast. Both my husband and I have lived out west, and we really prefer the higher humidity and general lushness of the east. When my husband first moved to NY with me, he cried out, "My God, you live in a forest!" It was just outside Buffalo, but, compared to CO, it seemed pretty overgrown. We kind of love that.
I can understand that. Best wishes to you both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness