Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 12:45 AM

671 posts, read 445,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
After a quick search I found nothing that discuss just Emergency Kits (or what's called a BUG OUT BAG) only.

There's lots comments but nothing that would be complete enough to actually help build a real "my life depends on it" bag.

Start with the bag itself then move on to the contents ,were to store the bag and how many bags to build up. Please explain why each item you select is in the bag (no dead useless weight). Let's see it we can assemble bags that fit where we live (regional) and what we actually need to survive for three days or for three months ,or worse yet, much ,much longer.
I had a bug out bag once. Then it turned into a bug out shed. Then I decided I was not going to run anywhere. Instead, I would paint a big ol red X on the roof of my house and go out quick without all the stress of worrying. (I lived near a nuclear plant).

Now..I am of the same mindset. Bring it. I don't really care any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:48 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
I had a bug out bag once. Then it turned into a bug out shed. Then I decided I was not going to run anywhere. Instead, I would paint a big ol red X on the roof of my house and go out quick without all the stress of worrying. (I lived near a nuclear plant).

Now..I am of the same mindset. Bring it. I don't really care any more.
Yes, for the old, the sick or the infirm life can be short during a real disaster. It's karma so I don't fret about it much.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:58 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
If you are interested in home built first aid kits that are actually useful, I just ran across this Bulgarian military surplus med kit case. It has a red cross blazoned on the front, which is exactly what you need for identifying that it actually is a medical kit. No, I don't work for those people.

https://www.sciplus.com/p/BULGARIAN-...=Free+Shipping

Old 10-09-2017, 09:44 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you are interested in home built first aid kits that are actually useful, I just ran across this Bulgarian military surplus med kit case. It has a red cross blazoned on the front, which is exactly what you need for identifying that it actually is a medical kit. No, I don't work for those people.

https://www.sciplus.com/p/BULGARIAN-...=Free+Shipping
I learned how to assemble my own first aid kit in a Red Cross Basic First Aid Course. It was much smaller. That one might be useful in a vehicle, but it's not for a hike.

Back in the seventies, everyone wanted wilderness survival stuff in a kit. It wasn't as silly as it may seem to some. Hypothermia kills in July where survivalists live.

I don't understand why you'd like a big red cross on it. That's an invitation to thieves. I want my unprotected supplies to look like trash that I forgot to throw out.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I learned how to assemble my own first aid kit in a Red Cross Basic First Aid Course. It was much smaller. That one might be useful in a vehicle, but it's not for a hike.

Back in the seventies, everyone wanted wilderness survival stuff in a kit. It wasn't as silly as it may seem to some. Hypothermia kills in July where survivalists live.

I don't understand why you'd like a big red cross on it. That's an invitation to thieves. I want my unprotected supplies to look like trash that I forgot to throw out.
If I lived in a densely populated area, I would be nervous about thieves too.

I'm unlikely to get far enough from a vehicle or home to need a hiking kit. My current vehicle kit is one of the transparent zipper bags that pillowcases come in. I can see what's where without even opening it. I do have a small first aid kit that I pack to duck blinds, but that's about it. I haven't headed off on a backpacking trip in 35 years.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:20 PM

This is why everyone needs a BOB. Tens of thousands of people have been ordered to evacuate north of San Francisco.

At least 1,500 structures destroyed in North Bay fires | abc7news.com

Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
After a quick search I found nothing that discuss just Emergency Kits (or what's called a BUG OUT BAG) only.

There's lots comments but nothing that would be complete enough to actually help build a real "my life depends on it" bag.

Start with the bag itself then move on to the contents ,were to store the bag and how many bags to build up. Please explain why each item you select is in the bag (no dead useless weight). Let's see it we can assemble bags that fit where we live (regional) and what we actually need to survive for three days or for three months ,or worse yet, much ,much longer.

Personally, I have some ....less modern...stuff in my last ditch load out. Including my bow, a cap n ball revolver (1860 44 Colt Army) and a percussion 50 cal rifle. Lots of powder and caps. If I get cut off from my modern weapons and equipment I will still survive. Under the radar and off the grid. I also have a couple moths suppy of my Rx medications and lots of other medical supplies to stay healthy as possible. However, I don't plan on trying to bug out. I'll fort up and stay put. My last stand will be at my front door.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
While I think a bug out bag is a good idea, I keep most of "the essentials" in my vehicle so it'll be there in case I have to leave right away.

I do have a "grab bag" in a small backpack that I keep in the dresser so I can latch onto it quickly if needed. It holds: 1 pair of jeans, 1 spare shirt, several pairs of socks and skivvies, flashlight, cell phone charging cord, small 1st aid kit, basic shaving/hygiene kit, $100 in bills and several dollars in quarters.

Enough to get me far enough out of the area if a load of toxic chemicals or radioactive debris overturns on the highway or railway nearby.

Lots of folks have no clue as to how often that kind of stuff passes right through their vicinity.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:19 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
While I think a bug out bag is a good idea, I keep most of "the essentials" in my vehicle so it'll be there in case I have to leave right away.

I do have a "grab bag" in a small backpack that I keep in ... $100 in bills and several dollars in quarters.
I have a similar set up, but found out an OPSEC idea I had overlooked on the cash. In the interest of not looking like I had too much money, most of my emergency cash was in $10 bills, but on a road trip, I bought something with two 10' and the clerk said that was more 10's than he sometimes saw all day. Hmmm, so much for being the "grey man"

Just food for thought.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:45 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I have a similar set up, but found out an OPSEC idea I had overlooked on the cash. In the interest of not looking like I had too much money, most of my emergency cash was in $10 bills, but on a road trip, I bought something with two 10' and the clerk said that was more 10's than he sometimes saw all day. Hmmm, so much for being the "grey man"

Just food for thought.
If I'm trying to get out of Dodge due to either a natural or manmade disaster, I won't be all that concerned about being seen as the grey man by some random clerk at a convenience store. Although I've been grey for a number of years now.

Another thing I watch carefully is to never let the gas tank on either vehicle fall below half when I'm here at home. I don't want to be the 14th car in line at the filling station behind all the others trying to escape whatever it would be that we're all trying to get away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness