Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:30 PM

282 posts, read 232,790 times

Advertisements

Something important about rosemary: Not good for people with epilepsy or prone to seizures.

Also regarding plant-based diet - don't use "primates are frugivores" as your justification. It's not true. Primates are omnivorous, though some have preferences for fruit. That doesn't make them frugivores. It's like saying there are vegans, and there are carnivores. That is just nonsense. "Vegan" is a lifestyle choice. Carnivore is a genetic designation. And people are not carnivores. People are omnivores. Even if you live a vegan lifestyle and eat a vegan diet, you're still an omnivore. It means your body is designed to function efficiently on a variety of foods, including flesh-based and plant-based substances.

Most primates are omnivores, heavy on the fruit, and light on the insects. Some primates are omnivores, heavy on the insects and light on the fruit. And some are omnivores, who really love fruit, but aren't all that picky and will eat rodents and small birds, in addition to insects.

Foxglove is a medicinal plant useful in emergencies if you encounter someone having an angina attack, and they don't have prescription digitalis handy. They can chew on a foxglove leaf and swallow the juice created through maceration. The latin name for foxglove is - (drum roll) - digitalis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 06:31 PM

282 posts, read 232,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What's this a 3rd healing type group?

Since everyone is talking about herbals...I'll throw in pycnogenol and grape seed extract which got me OFF allergy/sinus drugs back in 1995. Can't imagine how my life would be had they not come into my life.

Now if they prevent cancer(s)...then they've lived up to what we were told 22+ yrs ago at a lecture on pycnogenol when it was arriving in the U.S.
They don't prevent cancer. There are people who take these, who got cancer. Debunked, myth, quackery.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
They don't prevent cancer. There are people who take these, who got cancer. Debunked, myth, quackery.
These two have done plenty for me already so I'll continue to take my chances with them for cancer prevention. You don't know.....

Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I ran across this today in a discussion with FB friends. I had no idea that black elderberry had antiviral properties, or that a commercial preparation was available at Wally World or Walgreens. The commercial prep is named Sambucol, but nothing keeps you from planting black elderberry and making your own juice. The European Black Elderberry is hardy in zones 4 to 8. By chance, I happen to have a couple in my back yard. I think I'll plant more.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11399518/

Another medicinal plant I like to keep around is St. John's Wort. It is a good antidepressant, and is the leading herbal remedy for depression. It makes the skin more sensitive to sunlight, and I tend to get pretty boggy in mid-winter, so St. John's Wort keeps me from getting down. It's also a strong liver stimulant, and contra-indicated if you are on antibiotics, because it will clean chemicals out of your blood stream before they can do the job. I know a woman who got a bad spider bite and was debilitated for weeks afterward, not recovering from the spider toxin. I suggested she try St. John's Wort, and she recovered fully in just a few days. This is anecdotal, but if you get poisoned it can't hurt.

Garlic is a natural antibiotic, but only if it's crushed and raw. It is not systemic, but good for stomach/intestinal infections or as a poultice against topical infections.

There are lots of medicinal plants, but sorting out which ones really work is a chore. Many of the herbal remedy books published in the USA are total crap. Ignore homeopathic remedies. They don't work. Look for home remedy books that have tested cures. Are you constipated? Try cascara bark. Are you out of aspirin? Brew up some willow bark tea. Having an asthma attack? Smoke a bella donna cigarette. Having trouble with atrial fibrillation or congestive heart failure? Try foxglove. Need a pain killer? While possession of opioids is illegal, it is legal to grow the opium poppy (papaver somniferum) in the US.

Obviously, herbal dosages are chancy. Some of them are very powerful medicines, and can be dangerous if you overdose or ineffective if you underdose. If you have access to standardized preparations from a pharmacy, go there. However, if things get really disrupted, herbal remedies from your back yard may be your only choice. Many culinary herbs also have medicinal uses, so a kitchen garden can double as a pharmacy.
Good to know about St. John Wort.
But I took it and discovered it makes some people dizzy.
I was one of those few people it affects that way.
So I might take it for such as a spider bite but I could not stay on it.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:51 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
What's this a 3rd healing type group?

Since everyone is talking about herbals...I'll throw in pycnogenol and grape seed extract which got me OFF allergy/sinus drugs back in 1995. Can't imagine how my life would be had they not come into my life.
While we shouldn't turn it into a healing forum, preparedness includes the subtopic of what to do when there is no doctor available, which is pretty much the name of a highly recommended book. (There are others, like "Kitchen Apothecary," so look around and you will probably find quite a few.)

While there has been a significant amount of "noise" in this thread, I have found quite a few helpful tidbits of information. And, for the most part, I have enjoyed reading it.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
While we shouldn't turn it into a healing forum, preparedness includes the subtopic of what to do when there is no doctor available, which is pretty much the name of a highly recommended book. (There are others, like "Kitchen Apothecary," so look around and you will probably find quite a few.)

While there has been a significant amount of "noise" in this thread, I have found quite a few helpful tidbits of information. And, for the most part, I have enjoyed reading it.
The book mentioned, Kitchen Apothecary, most likely has a lot to say about the Wonderful Grape and it's healing properties.

I don't go to doctors anyway, if I can avoid them, so I'm prepared for most things that could hit my body all the time. I have my arsenal of remedies.

I've been working on my own health and healing for over 25 yrs. NEVER would have learned from doctors what I've learned from my books and other support groups and friends.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM

I don't eat lbs of grapes but I've been taking grape SEED extract for decades.

Grape Nutrition: 10 Powerful Health Benefits of Grapes | TotalHomeCareSupplies Blog

Old 11-15-2017, 02:46 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
I don't eat lbs of grapes but I've been taking grape SEED extract for decades.

Grape Nutrition: 10 Powerful Health Benefits of Grapes | TotalHomeCareSupplies Blog

There you go! if you have a good slow auger style juicer and if you can find grapes with seeds you could not only extract the juice from the grapes but also from the seeds and make your own grape seed extract.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
A wonderful herbalist PhD and Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Linda Page wrote a book, HEALTHY HEALING. It was a reference used in health food stores nationwide since the 1970s. I think there are 14 editions or so of her book. Dr. Balch's book, PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL HEALING was a copy-cat book put out in the 90s. I have two different editions of Dr. Page's books and Dr Balch's book.

IMHO Dr Page can run circles around Dr. Balch when it comes to knowledge of herbs, diet and health over all which isn't surprising as Dr. Balch is just a "holistic" medical doctor. His book will appeal to the brainwashed public who think medical doctors are the be-all-end-all.

Dr. Page has written other fantastic books about working with herbs, descriptions of them, how they work together, how to make formulas and which herbs to use for which kinds of health problems.

People can get some but not all information at her website healthyhealing.com.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There you go! if you have a good slow auger style juicer and if you can find grapes with seeds you could not only extract the juice from the grapes but also from the seeds and make your own grape seed extract.
Oh goodness that is too much work for me at this point,,,I do what I have to in the kitchen and hurry to sit back down...lower back OUCH....

Dr. Balch's book was one of my first learning books on what I've learned in 25some yrs. I still have it, have lent it out and it was my first healing bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness