Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which applies to you? private poll
I am Christian and my beliefs of the End Times play into wanting self sufficiency 7 21.21%
I am not Christian therefore those beliefs do not apply 26 78.79%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 01:36 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
... yet still choose to believe in the principles claimed to be espoused by the figure portrayed as 'The Christ', even if they do not believe that this figure actually existed. For this reason, they can still claim the label of 'Christian' without necessarily holding on to all of the baggage that other groups may choose to carry. Such people can still call themselves 'Christian' without also ascribing to the belief that the 'Bible' is the 'inerrant Word of God' (which position allows them to resolve certain logical fallacies and contradictions that would otherwise cause their brains to melt).
Sure. And I know there have been people who, after taking acid claimed to be birds, but without all the baggage associated with feathers and eating worms and such. Some of them tried to fly off of tall buildings, with predictable results.

I can claim to being King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda, but it doesn't necessarily make it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 04:42 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Sure. And I know there have been people who, after taking acid claimed to be birds, but without all the baggage associated with feathers and eating worms and such. Some of them tried to fly off of tall buildings, with predictable results.

I can claim to being King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda, but it doesn't necessarily make it so.
And what's that got to do with the price of tea in China? You've either failed to comprehend my post, or you're intentionally trying to make a specious argument. If you want to argue as to what makes one a 'true Christian', head on over to the Religion forum.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:57 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I am church of Christ so I dont believe in the rapture or tribulation.I believe He will come like a thief in the night and it will all be over.Nobody is able to predict the end of time....in fact if they do you can be sure it wont happen cuz the Bible says only God knows the time.His kingdom is not of this world.I am a prepper buts thats more cuz of fiat currency and America going broke like Russia and social unrest and hyperinflation like Weimar Germany in the 20's.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:20 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I've studied the caldera. That could take hundreds if not thousands of years.
The glaciers which regulate the Antarctic ice sheet are already melting.
Archeologists have recently discovered the ruins of a city, underneath the Black Sea.
While nobody really knows when the last eruption occurred in my favorite national park.
It's going to take a looong time for Antarctica to melt. Most of the sea level rise has been due to the fact that water expands at it warms, plus the Greenland ice sheet is melting pretty fast.

There are lots of underwater artifacts in that area, which is a noted subsidence zone. You can see ruins of Roman era stone piers that are underwater, particularly in the Aegean. The Greeks have a flood myth about Deucalion and Pyrra surviving the flood. It shares some features of the biblical flood myth, as does Utnapishtim's Flood from Sumerian myth. The two myths seem to have been syncretized in Canaan. The Greek influence may have come through the tribe of Dan, which was not Hebrew and were probably Greek (Danaids) that moved in with the Sea Peoples in the 12th century BC. They may or may not have been related to the Peleset (Philistines). Hebrew would not be a written language for another couple centuries, so the confusion is understandable.

Rising sea levels in the next 100 years promise to be pretty gradual. We'll lose the coastal South from the Carolinas around South Florida to the Texas Gulf, but people will have plenty of time to move. The process is already underway in areas like NYC, NOLA and Houston, where areas are not being rebuilt due to rising sea levels. Most areas have enough land rise that moving inland a mile or two will solve the problem. Houston is high enough, but getting adequate water velocity through the drainage canals will get harder.

The Yellowstone Caldera eruption was about 800,000 to 630,000 years ago, over thousands of years, not just one day. There have been several eruptions since, but they have been smaller andesite/dacite or basalt eruptions. I doubt there has been another area on the face of the planet that has been combed as thoroughly as Yellowstone.

The Christian "Tribulations" thing appears to be an incorporation of Science Fiction into religious doctrine. Read the Left Behind stories for the source material. I find it interesting that there was not a third choice in the poll, for those people who are Christians but are unconcerned about the Apocalypse. The better educated among Christians realize that Revelations is a coded description of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Roman Empire. For instance, the Wh... of Babylon is the goddess Babylonians worshiped. The Jews felt betrayed by the Parthian Empire, which they were counting on for military support. The serpent with the 7 heads was the 7 hills of Rome, etc. etc. Bibliolaters just got wound up in the idea that prophecy and fortune telling are the same thing. They are not.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:00 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
an incorporation of Science Fiction into religious doctrine. Read the Left Behind stories for the source material. I find it interesting that there was not a third choice in the poll, for those people who are Christians but are unconcerned about the Apocalypse.
Left Behind was an incorporation of Science Fiction into Religious Doctrine. The better educated among us (I am one of those, BTW, and I disagree with you, but that is off topic here, as this is not a theological thread) recognize that it isn't completely doctrinally sound, but it is a story. Several of us have already brought it to the OP's attention that there should have been a third choice, but what was done was done, and polls can't be edited.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:46 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I'm one of the 22 in the poll.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:37 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
Just curious how many here are Christian and whether these beliefs play into wanting to be completely self sufficient due to biblical beliefs.
of course as a Christian you will not be here during the tribulation but unsaved family members and friends will

thanks

Poll needs another option. "I am a Christian but I am not self sufficient due to my beliefs." As to the "end times" my take is that there ain't no point in worrying about running scared and bugging out. There's nowhere to hide from Gods wrath.

I am self sufficient and armed because of more tangible concerns like long running power blackouts due to natural or unnatural reasons and roving gangs of thugs looking to loot.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:27 PM

11,101 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I'm not voting in this pole [poll] as I'm a Christian but spend 0 time thinking about end times. If God wants to wrap things up and call in final judgement, there's nothing any of us can do.
Same here. The poll lacks an important third selection. And when God comes back, it won't matter what little human plans we have put in place, or are contemplating. His plans are beyond it all. He might just laugh or chuckle, watching us try to protect ourselves, accumulate our little gold and possessions etc. which won't enter into Heaven anyway.

Protection or preparation for what comes next is wholly inside us (spiritually, mentally). It has no physical, tangible, material aspects to it.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:05 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,560 times
Bible..... No.

However, the evening news is what convinced me.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:46 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
A bit late to this thread not a Christian my wife and I are both Pagan. Our beliefs have nothing to do why we stay prepared though. In all honesty I see us headed towards something like 1984 By George Orwell.
or even like V for Vendetta both of those seems to being playing out regardless of party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness