Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 AM

731 posts, read 676,040 times

Advertisements

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-eaten-by-pigs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,459,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
One reason why I keep my pigs well fed!!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:54 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
This shouldn't surprise anyone. Animal corpses disappear. It takes less than 24 hours where I live to leave just a skeleton. The bones are scattered and unnoticeable within a couple days more.

Even animals considered solely herbivorous find little protein packets to be attractive. For example, deer will eat nestlings who have fallen to the ground.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,045,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
They buy a house in rural New England and their dog digs up a dead body in the front yard. It was the grandmother or some relation to the previous owners whom buried her there.
I wonder how title insurance would handle this situation in real life, or in a scenario were the home was in a State that did not allow home burial, could you have the authorities remove the body for you, or pass expenses on to the powers that be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Hogs are carnivorous...
Odd dichotomy here in that we slaughter and eat hogs regularly, the supermarkets all have pork sections in the refrigerated section. Indeed, hog farmers may seek subsidies and/or lobby congress if their industry experienced setbacks or slow periods and it rarely if ever makes the press (unless there's a health scare involved in consuming pork).

But when the shoe is on the other foot (hoof?) it makes front page...

Wasn't hungry hogs one way a victim of Hannibal Lechter going to use in a revenge plot in one of the "Silence of The Lambs" movies?

Old 12-15-2017, 03:00 PM

3,318 posts, read 4,113,966 times
Yes, I can't remember the movie where they talked about the best way to get rid of a body, and how you shouldn't tick off a hog farmer. If you get those pigs hungry enough, they will eat every single part of a dead person, except the teeth. Those wild boars are mean, I remember an old Disney movie, think it was Old Yeller, which had a scene where some guy was badly gored by a wild hog and nearly died or something. Some states have a major overpopulation of wild hogs, If you see one, shoot it and eat it right away, lol. I bet they are yummy.

I haven't watched Funny Farm in a while, although the movie starts off in the summer season, it ends during Christmas season, and it's really a pretty good Christmas movie, and it has a happy ending. I know very little about the various state laws concerning lost and found bodies on your property, and what you could be liable for, lol.

Another impressive housing idea I recall, some 20 years ago I saw a program about a small community that had formed in the outback of Australia. They were cliff dwellers, not Aboriginal, but white people who drilled out the sides of rock cliffs, they had huge 10,000 square ft homes dug out with drilling equipment. It was super cheap to heat or cool, and not prone to mice because it was solid rock all the way thru, they just dug out various chambers for different rooms, and installed wiring and plumbing, painted the walls as they pleased. It looked pretty sweet, no drywall and wood only used for doors, mostly just hollowed out rock. Nice and sturdy, long lasting, quiet.

Last edited by mofford; 12-15-2017 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,701,824 times
There are more hogs then people where I live. Depending on the SHTF scenario The 10's of thousands of animals would be released into the wild (farmers from here sold 1.7 million market pigs last yr). Of course many would not survive the first few winters but swine are very hardy and eventually would regain a large foothold in the food chain.....

Old 12-15-2017, 06:36 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,284,741 times
Being eaten by a pig could be considered the ultimate "green burial". I'm surprised this hasn't caught on with urban environmentalists yet. It would save a lot on funeral expenses and provide free feed.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:42 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,459,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Being eaten by a pig could be considered the ultimate "green burial". I'm surprised this hasn't caught on with urban environmentalists yet. It would save a lot on funeral expenses and provide free feed.
Yeah, but once the get a taste for "Soylent Green" they may not want to go back to their regular feed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness