Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:18 AM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You could just wrap a piece of dark construction paper around it, ...
Decorative Sleeves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 AM

385 posts, read 345,294 times
Heh, points taken. Okay, time to figure out Plan B. Thank you for your input!

Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 AM

731 posts, read 678,101 times
Quote:
Only if you eat them at the same time. Rice will not wait around in your stomach, for the beans. It has no idea that they'll be coming along later. Ditto for beans, if you eat them first!
In nursing school we were told that as long as people ate both componets of the complete protien combination during the day, you don't have to eat them at the same meal. So I have been going my that for the last 35 years and I have not yet died of malnutitiion

Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
This has never been a real problem.

Quote:
Maybe you’ve heard the term “complete protein.” It derives from the idea that there are 20 different amino acids that can form a protein, and the human body can’t produce nine of them on its own. In order to be considered “complete,” a protein must contain all nine of these essential amino acids in equal amounts.
The thing is, we don’t need the complete amino-acid profile in every meal. We need only a sufficient amount of each amino acid daily. Dietitians confirm that plant-based foods contain a wide variety of profiles, and vegans are pretty much guaranteed to get their daily dose without even trying.
https://www.peta.org/living/food/com...roteins-vegan/

Old 01-17-2018, 11:49 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Living in the east, it's anything but dry here. I would think at your OR cabin it might be humid some of the time, also. If you want to keep the beans for a long time, they must be kept dry. Here in the east, the only way to 100% guarantee they are dry, is to vacuum seal them. I dunno why you say people won't do that, as so many of them have vac sealers. Even mylar bags with O2 absorbers are not as good. That vac seal keeps everything out.

As for cooking, if you run across 'resistant' beans, just put them into a pressure cooker. Another thing most people have, stuffed away in some cabinet, unused. They'll use their crock pots, but that's just cooking. If overnight soaking does not make them swell, try the pressure cooker.

Most preparedness-minded people don't eat beans very often (OK, I love Boston baked beans). They buy the beans, pack 'em up as well as they know how or can afford, and expect them to last 25-30 years, till SHTF. I can't tell you the horrors I've found in dried beans, rice, oatmeal, etc that were not properly packaged. You can't just leave it in the plastic bag from the store, throw it into a 5 gallon bucket, and expect it to last decades. Now I do it right.
Really? You can't use old fashioned glass screw-top jars? I'm not talking SHTF plans for a decade worth of beans...is that what the OP is thinking?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Really? You can't use old fashioned glass screw-top jars? I'm not talking SHTF plans for a decade worth of beans...is that what the OP is thinking?
Most of the people reading threads here on the SS&P board are interested in preparedness and preserving the foods they raised toward self-sufficiency. You never know who's reading these posts.

YES you can put dry foods in "old fashioned glass screw-top jars" if you want to store them from one season to the next. But if you want to put aside more food than you can eat in one season, as insurance against a rainy day (and that is what preparedness-minded folks do), then you need to keep out:

*Oxygen
*Moisture
*Heat
*Light

....all of which will degrade the quality and nutritional content of dry foods stored long term. And glass jars with screw-top lids don't make the grade for more than a few months.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
In nursing school we were told that as long as people ate both componets of the complete protien combination during the day, you don't have to eat them at the same meal. So I have been going my that for the last 35 years and I have not yet died of malnutitiion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I never taught a nursing school class, nor have I ever claimed that this is "a real problem".

I have a chem degree and have studied nutrition from Weston Price DDS through to Adelle Davis (and many in between). With our modern grocery chains and affordable food prices, virtually no one in the US has any problem getting enough protein, whether animal-based or vegan-based. They'd have to try hard.

But for those of you with critical thinking skills, imagine this: a painter wants to mix up a green paint. He has plenty of blue and yellow pigments, which will make green. Instead of mixing them first to make the green pigment, he lays down the yellow paint, then goes off to lunch. He comes back and applies the blue paint, then stands around scratching his head, confused that he didn't get green!

Your stomach and intestines have zero idea what you are going to eat later on in the day. They don't think, they just process what is sent down to them. If you send down amino acids A, C, and E, you'll make good use of those amino acids, but without B and D, it won't add up to a "complete protein". If 5 hours later, at the next meal, you send down amino acids B and D, you will again process those, but it will not add up to a "complete protein" because the previous meal has already been digested.

What you are doing is dumping yellow pigment and then blue pigment 5 hours later, and wondering why you don't get green. And while it's not important to get "green" pigment (complete protein) now, with the variety of foods we have available during good times, most people store up rice and beans against a day of scarcity. During times of scarcity, if you want complete protein, eat your beans and rice at the same time, because the foods we enjoy now may not be available. This is all true, and something we should all think about.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Most of the people reading threads here on the SS&P board are interested in preparedness and preserving the foods they raised toward self-sufficiency. You never know who's reading these posts.

YES you can put dry foods in "old fashioned glass screw-top jars" if you want to store them from one season to the next. But if you want to put aside more food than you can eat in one season, as insurance against a rainy day (and that is what preparedness-minded folks do), then you need to keep out:

*Oxygen
*Moisture
*Heat
*Light

....all of which will degrade the quality and nutritional content of dry foods stored long term. And glass jars with screw-top lids don't make the grade for more than a few months.
I see no problem with glass jars. People who do home canning use them all of the time. Inasmuch as we needn't be concerned with botulism in this case, ordinary screw tops are all that are needed.

Pick a low humidity day in your house to do this. Place the grain in the jars, then remove the oxygen (nitrogen gas is the easiest). Test with a match. Store the grain in a cool, dry, and dark place that isn't subject to wide temperature swings. It will last several years.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I see no problem with glass jars. People who do home canning use them all of the time. Inasmuch as we needn't be concerned with botulism in this case, ordinary screw tops are all that are needed.
Yes, as a said in my post, for short-term storage, these will work. I do a lot of canning myself.

Quote:
Pick a low humidity day in your house to do this. Place the grain in the jars, then remove the oxygen (nitrogen gas is the easiest). Test with a match. Store the grain in a cool, dry, and dark place that isn't subject to wide temperature swings. It will last several years.
AHA! Now you're seeing the light through those glass jars! If glass jars are just fine, why bother to wait for a "low-humidity day"?? What if there are NO low-humidity days in your area? And now you say you want to remove the oxygen? How many people reading these threads are going to use nitrogen gas? Seriously. Then you advise putting them in a "cool, dry and dark place" not subject to wide temp swings. Again, how many folks reading this will bother with that?

Sure it will last several years! But in what condition? I'll tell you what most people reading your post will think: "It's perfectly fine to store these dry foods in glass jars because I read it from Happy in Wyoming on CD's SS&P board!" Then, come a day when they really need those foods, and expect to find them in good shape nutritionally and otherwise, they will be dismayed to find the foods spoiled.

Good work, HiW! If you are not a prepper and don't store foods long term, stick to guns, or lizard people. You are not doing the preparedness community any favors.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:29 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:

http broken thoughts/
I would never trust anything peta said, at all.
Do you have any other sources?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness