Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:38 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times

Advertisements

Crickets are an easy healthy source of fresh protein, vitamins and minerals anyone can do. Pound for pound they have twice as much protein as beef without all the calories and fat. They are almost half protein dried weight. The best part is they are incredibly easy to raise. Even someone renting an apartment with a spare $50 can start their very own cricket farm.

Over 2 billion people on the planet include bugs in the diet. It's only somewhat exotic, taboo and gross in western culture. When you think about it, it's really not any different than eating other animals. Many people daily eat pink slime chicken nuggets and burgers from McDonald's and the grocery store without second thought. But crickets that were raised fresh and humanely by you are somehow gross?

You can eat them any way you wish. They can be eaten raw, fried, made into tacos, burgers, etc. They can be ground up into a high protein cricket powder and be used in conjunction with flour to make all sorts of tasty and nutritious goods.

Best of all this venture can actually supposedly net you some cash if done correctly. One cricket farmer claims a $2 million annual profit from his farm while another company in Georgia makes a reported $10-$20million dollar annual profit selling crickets. Many farms report turning away orders because they don't have enough crickets.

Regardless if you can convince your family to indulge in some cricket tacos with you they have numerous other benefits:
-Selling them to pet shops, reptiles love crickets.
-Selling them to bait shops and fishers.
-Your chickens would absolutely love them.
-Fresh source of protein for any animals if prepared correctly
-Can be started for very cheap and take up very little space
-Arguably better than eating some stored old beans

Some articles on how to set up a basic cricket farm
https://www.outsideonline.com/228004...ering-team-usa

https://morningchores.com/cricket-farming/

https://youtu.be/nWK3zNXePAs

This would also be great for those crazy Elon Musk fans who think someone is actually going to go to mars. They better bring a whole bunch of crickets with them if they want to thrive. They are the ultimate transportable space protein.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 02-11-2018 at 01:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 06:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
That's right! Our monkey and ape ancestors made insects a large part of their diets, along with roots and shoots. Our birds and our pigs will eat anything that crawls or slithers, and we encourage them to forage for a portion of their food, along with high-quality pasture.

When we eat our home-grown eggs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, and pork, we are eating insect protein as well as other forms. It's just not direct (wife wouldn't go for that...). But yeah...insects are a great source of protein, whether first or second hand. Same for sea nutrients - few people will eat seaweed, but our livestock gobble up the kelp meal we offer them. We then get it in the meat.

It all comes out in the wash!

Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Crickets are an easy healthy source of fresh protein, vitamins and minerals anyone can do. Pound for pound they have twice as much protein as beef without all the calories and fat. They are almost half protein dried weight. The best part is they are incredibly easy to raise. Even someone renting an apartment with a spare $50 can start their very own cricket farm...
Favorite recipes, please!

I've eaten insects and similar. They didn't taste terrible; they had almost no taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
That's right! Our monkey and ape ancestors made insects a large part of their diets, along with roots and shoots. Our birds and our pigs will eat anything that crawls or slithers, and we encourage them to forage for a portion of their food, along with high-quality pasture.

When we eat our home-grown eggs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, and pork, we are eating insect protein as well as other forms. It's just not direct (wife wouldn't go for that...). But yeah...insects are a great source of protein, whether first or second hand. Same for sea nutrients - few people will eat seaweed, but our livestock gobble up the kelp meal we offer them. We then get it in the meat.

It all comes out in the wash!
Favorite recipes, please!

Cattle can eat cellulose; humans cannot. You are not eating grass if you eat a cow. There is a specific science that deals with this. It's called biochemistry.

I've seen chickens eat baby snakes. Have you had whole baby snakes?

Seaweed may have possibilities, but I've never seen it in Walmart. You live by the ocean. Have you tried it?

https://theseaweedman.com/

Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 AM

Chef Aaron Sanchez’s Grasshopper ‘Bacon’ Bits

“Crispy grasshoppers, better known as Chapulines, are a delicacy in Oaxaca and are popular all over Mexico. They’re often eaten as a snack on their own or used as a toping to add crunch and texture, like we offer on our guacamole at [my restaurant] Johnny Sánchez. Think Mexican bacon bits. After being cleaned thoroughly, we toast them on a comal—a traditional Mexican griddle—with chili and lime to add spice and flavor. They’re absolutely delicious and are a great source of protein.”

That actually sounds pretty good.

Roman aristocrats used to consider beetle larvae a delicacy and would eat them reared on flour and wine.

Aristotle also wrote on the best time to harvest cicadas for their taste in some of his writings. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...nsectfood.html

Paiute Indians would drive large amounts of crickets into a trench covered with straw and then set the straw on fire. The women would collect the crisp cricket bodies and grind them up into a high protein powder.

I like anything deep fried .

Old 02-11-2018, 11:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Chef Aaron Sanchez’s Grasshopper ‘Bacon’ Bits

“Crispy grasshoppers, better known as Chapulines, are a delicacy in Oaxaca and are popular all over Mexico. They’re often eaten as a snack on their own or used as a toping to add crunch and texture, like we offer on our guacamole at [my restaurant] Johnny Sánchez. Think Mexican bacon bits. After being cleaned thoroughly, we toast them on a comal—a traditional Mexican griddle—with chili and lime to add spice and flavor. They’re absolutely delicious and are a great source of protein.â€

That actually sounds pretty good.

Roman aristocrats used to consider beetle larvae a delicacy and would eat them reared on flour and wine.

Aristotle also wrote on the best time to harvest cicadas for their taste in some of his writings. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...nsectfood.html

Paiute Indians would drive large amounts of crickets into a trench covered with straw and then set the straw on fire. The women would collect the crisp cricket bodies and grind them up into a high protein powder.

I like anything deep fried .
Why haven't you eaten one?

Old 02-11-2018, 11:27 AM

I have no hesitation trying them but the opportunity to eat them hasn't really presented itself to me yet. There's no cricket sellers or trendy resturants anywhere nearby who sell them. It looks like it will be up to me to get my cricket fix.

Thinking of ordering live crickets from these people Live Crickets from PremiumCrickets.com (Acheta Domestica) - Live Feeder Crickets Dubia Roaches Superworms Mealworms, Wax Worms, Phoenix Worms Shipped $110 for 10,000 live crickets. And $62 for 60,000 cricket eggs. For more of a starter kit you can order 110 crickets for just $5.99.

Each female cricket lays 5-10 eggs a day so you can quickly be swimming in crickets.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
Crickets are an easy healthy source of fresh protein, vitamins and minerals anyone can do. Pound for pound they have twice as much protein as beef without all the calories and fat. They are almost half protein dried weight. The best part is they are incredibly easy to raise. Even someone renting an apartment with a spare $50 can start their very own cricket farm.

Over 2 billion people on the planet include bugs in the diet. It's only somewhat exotic, taboo and gross in western culture. When you think about it, it's really not any different than eating other animals. Many people daily eat pink slime chicken nuggets and burgers from McDonald's and the grocery store without second thought. But crickets that were raised fresh and humanely by you are somehow gross?

You can eat them any way you wish. They can be eaten raw, fried, made into tacos, burgers, etc. They can be ground up into a high protein cricket powder and be used in conjunction with flour to make all sorts of tasty and nutritious goods.

Best of all this venture can actually supposedly net you some cash if done correctly. One cricket farmer claims a $2 million annual profit from his farm while another company in Georgia makes a reported $10-$20million dollar annual profit selling crickets. Many farms report turning away orders because they don't have enough crickets.

Regardless if you can convince your family to indulge in some cricket tacos with you they have numerous other benefits:
-Selling them to pet shops, reptiles love crickets.
-Selling them to bait shops and fishers.
-Your chickens would absolutely love them.
-Fresh source of protein for any animals if prepared correctly
-Can be started for very cheap and take up very little space
-Arguably better than eating some stored old beans

Some articles on how to set up a basic cricket farm
https://www.outsideonline.com/228004...ering-team-usa

https://morningchores.com/cricket-farming/

https://youtu.be/nWK3zNXePAs

This would also be great for those crazy Elon Musk fans who think someone is actually going to go to mars. They better bring a whole bunch of crickets with them if they want to thrive. They are the ultimate transportable space protein.
There is a guy here I see at Farmer's markets that sells cricket flour and baked goods like chocolate chip cookies made from cricket flour. The cookies are not bad, just taste like cookies.
With back country survival training, insects, worms, grubs are all on the menu. Most don't have a lot of flavor, it's the texture and idea of what you're eating that are hard to get past. I find the best way to eat grubs is roasted, then you basically just get a crunch, but raw, just swallow whole if you don't like slimy texture food.

Grasshopper and locust should be gutted by pulling off the head, and cooked well done because they carry tapeworm. I remove the lower legs to get rid of the barbs too.

Takes a lot of insects to make a meal.

I still prefer to put my grasshopper, worm or grub on a hook, and use them to catch a fish for a larger, tastier meal.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I'd rather eat Buddy Holly.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
I bet that it's real noisy on a cricket farm in the evening !
Especially in the summer when the temps are hot.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:37 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I bet that it's real noisy on a cricket farm in the evening !
Especially in the summer when the temps are hot.
Thanks for diverting my increasingly queasy attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness