Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 07:56 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

I don't hunt much anymore. But I do like just heading into the scrub just for the helluvit. Callit camping, hiking...I guess exploring is a good term. I'll go on such expedition on horseback and foot both depending on where I'm going and how long I plan on being gone. And I don't go alone anymore. Used to...but not such a great idea anymore.

Regardless of whether I'm on a horse or on foot food will take up some pack space. Favorites are jerky, tuna (in foil bags to save weight) same with stuff like stew, biscuit mix that only needs water, powdered milk, (I like my milk), you get the point. A guy can eat pretty good without having to pack a lot of weight.

MREs work to and without to much effort you can pack stuff to round them out and make them a bit more tasty. A couple cans of Spam some garlic powder and seasoned salt are nice things to have in the pack or saddlebags.

I always take some broad spectrum antibiotics, a stash of pain killers and things like bandaging, Benadryl, and things to stitch with. Things happen. I'm far more worried about someone taking a spill and getting hurt than an attack by a predator or even a snakebite. Though one should be ready for most anything.

Another good thing to have along is a stash of baby wipes in a Ziplock bag. They can save you a fair amount of discomfort that can come with not being as clean as possible. A good, lightweight mess kit is paramount and never again will I be caught in the boonies without coffee. Good ol' instant can taste better than Starbucks when there are no electric lights even close to visible from camp.

Usually where I tend to roam water is pretty handy, (I plan it that way) but I always insist on two gallons per person. Going on horseback may sound like it would be easier, BUT, a good water supply and graze must be factored in. A horse needs a LOT of water if they're working and they sure don't appreciate having to go hungry. If your on a horse that animal comes first, last and always before you even think about taking care of yourself.

Now, on the subject of weapons, anymore I keep it simple and old fashioned. My 1860 Army Colt rides on my belt along with my tomahawk that I made from an old roofing ax and my heavy duty fixed blade knife. I'll take either my recurve bow or my Pennsylvania rifle depending on the mood that strikes me.

We don't have a huge threat from predatory animals around here. Mountain lions are probably top of the list though we do have bears. The cats herebouts are pretty shy of people and if your scent doesn't send them the other direction the smell of your fire will. Same with the bears. Snakebite is probably the most serious concern when it comes to wildlife.

I feel quite adequately armed with the weapons I mentioned. I always have a good folding knife on me as well as my fixed blade. The latter and my tomahawk are not weapons so much as required tools. Same with the folder. Going forth so equipped as this is more than adequate and lends a bit of flavor to the outing as well.

Clothing wise I have wool. Pants and jacket and I always take my cavalry greatcoat even in the middle of Summer. Under garments are of cotton (Muslin) and I've found that silk is a good thing to have under my wool pants. I always take two pairs of footwear when on horseback. My cavalry boots and a pair of knee high moccasins. Cav boots are wonderful in the saddle but flat suck for any walking of consequence. Moccasins are light, and high cut ones offer good foot protection as well.

When on foot and wearing hiking boots I still take them along. They are a welcome break after a day of trudging in lace up boots. We don't usually pass up he option of fish or small game for camp meat either. I have a tiny little fishing set up that always goes with me. I generally prefer my bow over the long rifle as I can take a rabbit or squirrel for the fire and it's nice and quiet. It also works good for fish if the critters just refuse to bite on a line.

So, that's a fairly inclusive list of my out in the wilds gear. Oh, I guess I should add that my bedroll consists of two Navy wool hospital blankets (warm and quite soft) and a good ground cloth. I don't go out in Winter months anymore, so between the latter and my greatcoat I'll be toasty warm and comfortable.

So, what do other folks pack up with when heading into the wilds for a break from civilization I am wondering? What keeps you comfortable and secure whilst ranging afield? I'm not talking hunting so much as just plain old living wild for a few days. I've found that a guy (or gal) can be quite comfortable with pretty simple gear. I'd be quite interested to hear input from other folks who just like to get out into remote places just for the sake of going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 08:34 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,934 times
Here in the ozarks, we get all sorts of weather. Below zero, triple digits, snow, ice, tornadoes, heavy rain, you name it. My gear varies from light in summer to a full pack in winter. Being the ozarks, I usually find a cave to stay the night in, though, helps lighten the snivel gear some when you sleep in 50 degree air and out of the wind. I carry a GI poncho, katadyn pocket filter, food, knife, some paracord, my trusty Glock and usually a rifle of some sort, multi tool, a small first aid kit. Like you, I have a pair of mocassins for around camp or the occasional stalk. We have a lot of edible flora here, so that is used, I usually carry a light cotton sack for foraging. Got a lightweight nylon hammock that doubles as a net for fishing, ghillie wrap for hunting, bird net, etc. I like things I can use multiple ways. Always carry a headlight. Never know when you will need to move around at night. Falling over a bluff in the dark is not helpful.

I use more fleece than wool, with a good fleece and a wind and water resistant shell jacket, I am good almost to zero. Colder than that, I just add some GI waffle long johns under the fleece. Don't need it when moving, but it's nice when you stop. I use a carharrt jacket as my shell, and a neat little marmot packable rainsuit for wet weather. The carharrt keeps the fleece from getting holes in It around the fire. Usually use a pair of BDU pants, put GI long johns under it in cold weather. Got a fleece beanie hat, use a boonie hat spring to fall. Will carry a 20 degree bag and space blanket if cold and not sure where I will stay the night. Use a couple of stainless nalgenes to carry water. Nice because they are single wall. Can boil or cook in them. Also have a double wall bottle, can put hot water and some food like rice in it and cook on the move. Don't need a whole lot to get by around here. You can find most of it out there if you know where to look.

My best item weighs almost nothing, and makes trips in the summer bearable. It's called permethrin. Get 10% solution at the farm store, dilute with water to 1%, put in spray bottle, and spray clothes the night before leaving out. Two weeks of protection from ticks and other creepy crawlers. I have watched a tick start up my pants leg, and fall off dying before it got to the knee. Great stuff. Apparently the military figured it out, because i see the newer combat uniforms have been treated with it.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:52 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Well, my basic kit that I carry anytime I'm out, includes one of my hand forged knives and a 1 1/2 lb ax head that I make that works as a knife or if I cut and carve a handle in the field, it works as an ax. I always have a small roll of snare wire, an ultralight fishing kit, about 50 feet of paracord, a zippo lighter, a mag-match, some strike anywhere wooden matches and fire piston. I usually carry a garden trowel instead of a collapsible shovel in the summer, but in winter, a collapsible emergency scoop shovel is great for making snow caves and clearing campsites.

I always have one of the survival kits I make, so that has a 1 1/2 inch parabolic mirror for signaling that also works as a fire starter. I always have a mylar sleeping bag, mylar emergency tent, and a Norwegian military mil-spec poncho that folds down to the size of those throw away plastic bag ponchos, but is far more durable. I always have a small first aid kit, and a headlamp. I always have a couple tea candles too for light, fire starting or heat source in a snow cave shelter.
2 of my favorite items in my always carry are a small roll of duct tape and a large plastic garbage bag.

I carry a small stainless steel cup that has a lid that seals that I have some coffee, sugar and tea in.
I have a life straw and iodine tablets and an old WW2 canteen, aluminum, for water.
Clothes consist of Carhartt duct pants in summer, wool in winter, good wool blend socks and heavy lug hunting boots for summer, 2000 gram thinsulate waterproof boots in winter. The bottom layer is under armor, followed by a good wool shirt, wool vest, and Carhartt coat. I also carry a wool Capote with a hood that works well in very cold conditions as an overgarment, or as a blanket. I have a mil-spec Boonie hat in summer, and wool cap with ear flaps for winter. I always carry some gloves as well. If your hands are cold, they don't work as well, then you get injuries. In winter, I have snowshoes and heavier mittens I can wear over the gloves for more protection.

If I'm planning on being out more than a couple days, I have an ultralight mess kit for cooking. I usually don't pack a lot of food, but some dehydrated soups work well as a base, and I can add wild edibles or game meat to them. I carry some pemmican and cold flour too, and salt/pepper. Wild edibles can be pretty bland, a bottle of Mrs. Dash doesn't weigh hardly anything and really helps flavor, or some garlic powder, onion powder or dehydrated onions work too.

Since I live in grizzly country, I carry a 45-70 lever action rifle and a 45 Long Colt/410 Taurus judge pistol, and I carry some #4 shot game loads for the pistol as well as 000 buck. The #4 works for small game at very close range, and for snakes.
I carry some bow string and a couple iron arrowheads I make, so I could fashion a bow and arrows if I need, and my walking staff that has an 8 inch spear head that pivots into the handle when not in use.

I don't normally use a horse on these expeditions, but I could since we have some, but they tend to attract wolves, lions and bears, so I use a dog as my draft animal to haul a pack or pull a skid over the snow. My dog does carry his own food, but he hunts and is good for some rabbits for the pot, and he's a great way to know if there's something around you can't see, and at night. Not all dogs are good for this and can cause more problems than they solve, but a good well trained dog is a huge benefit in wild country, and a lot of companionship.

I don't usually carry a full tent for shelter. I can find a good spruce tree to get under, or a cut in a rock face, or hollow under a fallen tree I can throw a couple poles against with my garbage bag over in the summer, or make snow shelters in winter.

I love my recurve bows, and black powder rifles, and I hunt with them in season, but because of bears and wolves, I always have a modern heavy pistol backup.
If I have a good repeating cartridge rifle, I may carry a black powder Navy Colt. There are too many dangerous animals around here to let your guard down completely.

My kit varies from winter to summer, and depending on how long I plan to stay out, but this is a good basic list of what I use.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Bear spray, 4 one liter bottles of water, rain gear, SAK, ground cloth, dog dish for water, a handgun or two for dealing with unruly cow pies and dirt clods, satellite and cell phones, and the ten essentials. I bring my Kindle Paper White as well. Since I'm 74 and my dog is almost 14, I've been cutting the water to one liter lately. We don't go terribly far these days.

I plan to be home when I go to bed.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:50 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Couple years ago, we bought a parcel of 82 acres at the northern tip of NH. "We" is myself, my brother, and my wife's brother. We are still involved in building a road into the parcel.

Always we go two or three of us, each with their own pickup. We bring chain saws, brush saws (looks like a string trimmer, but with a blade on the end), a come-along, and other gear to help with road building. Sometimes we bring the snowmobile, on a trailer. We always bring the quad.

Depending on the weather (it's surprisingly hot up there in summer), I bring a change of clothes for each day, extra wool socks, sturdy boots plus a spare old pair, my Carhartts, and real wool. Can't beat real wool, IMO. Woolrich shirts, Filson sweaters. And always a down vest, even in summer. I wear that over a thermal sweatshirt on summer nights.

We all sleep in our trucks when working there. Sleeping bags, a tall bathroom tent, bucket toilet, a couple campfire grills, cooking gear, and coolers filled with our favorite grub -- beef, turkey, friut and veggies. I'm not much on bread, but the other two like to make some.

I always bring the drone, to see how close we're getting to the interior of the site. I also bring binox, a compass, a digital camera (I don't use a smart phone), and my tablet (and flip phone). There's not much in the way of cell signals up there anyway.

What there is up there, is a magnificent view of Quebec, Canada.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:24 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
What there is up there, is a magnificent view of Quebec, Canada.
Well then, what you are forgetting is the French-English dictionary and phrase book... just in case of "contact."

Je suis désolé officier. Je n'avais pas réalisé que m'étais égaré au Canada.

(please excuse any grammatical/translation misadventures. It's been a long time...)

Old 03-04-2018, 06:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well then, what you are forgetting is the French-English dictionary and phrase book... just in case of "contact."

Je suis désolé officier. Je n'avais pas réalisé que m'étais égaré au Canada.
(please excuse any grammatical/translation misadventures. It's been a long time...)
Try this.

https://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/french.htm

Old 03-05-2018, 05:05 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh, we go up there every summer. Get some traditional breakfast in Montreal (fish and Indian cornbread made by a native Mohawk woman), and shop around Montreal. We also go up to Trois Rivieres, where my wife's people come from. Wife can parley a bit, but everybody up there speaks English, even in the back country!

It is truly a bi-lingual province, for just about everyone.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:41 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That is a great tool--much better than fumbling around with keyboard shortcuts and character maps...

Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Chocolate bar, nylons, a carton of American cigarettes and a .45 pistol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness