Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
See Below...

My thoughts on what Happy In Wyoming and others have said about "going native" so to speak and dressing/blending with the locals is it might come off as counter-productive in certain instances. If you are the quintessential "Haole" walking around in an "off the beaten path" area of Hawaii with alot of "locals" you may look ridiculous and stand out MORE if you try to dress like them.
Going native? Not I. I am a White. However, I don't play soldier or down and out foreigner. I never wear T-shirts or clothing worn by the hostel set. I look like any business traveler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 03:32 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
I have recently been viewing Youtube videos on how to stay safe as a tourist when travelling (particularly overseas). Getting robbed, pick pocketed, bag or purse slashed or snatched, all are potential incidents for the traveler.

Simply dressing in something like an olive drab pair of cargo pants (or shorts) tactical style belt, T-Shirt or coat that says "10th Mountain Division" or "Marine Corps", etc. for men, Karate or Martial Arts, Rock Climbing, "Survival Camp Graduate" shirt or coat for women, children, teens, etc. may well give the impression you would be a person to "pass up" for above mentioned activities.

I notice when coming off a hike and stopping at the supermarket or store in my green cargo pants, "Timberland" shirt and hiking boots the "chuggers" (charity muggers) that set up camp by the entrances tend to let me pass in peace over when I am dressed otherwise, and I haven't even gone full "Mountain Division" on them yet.

The impression this image may give to dubious characters may include the following:

A.You may not be a wealthy tourist, no Ferrari or Aston Martin in the garage back home.
B. You may have skills and training that would make getting into a "physical encounter" a bad idea.
C. If you are carrying money or valuables, they are likely well secured in a strategic location.

Thoughts, Ideas, Additions...?
I travel frequently to foreign countries, including my share of 3rd world crapholes. Trust me it's not the tactical dressing that gives you away. Tourist don't dress like that anyways. What gives you away is the you are in a TOURIST AREA SPEAKING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (English) AND LOOKING BEWILDERED first and foremost. And of course the more subtle signs like sneakers, white-guy shorts, your girl wearing a bikini top when all the other females are covered, etc. They just know! They will always know. No tactical gear required. You play it safe by securing your valuables (money belt, keep passport secured, etc), being aware, and not venturing into ill-advised areas.

Don't sweat it however. It doesn't really put a target on your back except to touts in these third world countries that are always trying to sell you something.

In regards to the above gear, it's not foreign travel but just day to day dress in the good old US. The 501 vests for instance. We call those "shoot me first" vests in the concealed carry world because the bad guys will assume you are carrying a weapon and take out there threat first.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:44 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,045,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Going native? Not I. I am a White. However, I don't play soldier or down and out foreigner. I never wear T-shirts or clothing worn by the hostel set. I look like any business traveler.
Apologies if I misunderstood, re-reading your posts you not express a tendency to dress like the locals. Just thinking about how I travel, I tend to have "active and out of the way" experiences planned which often involve nature/wildlife/hiking and outdoor activity, etc. As such, it is not always practical or safe (from a standpoint of not wearing dress/business footwear on a hike, etc.) to be in even casual dress or business attire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I travel frequently to foreign countries, including my share of 3rd world crapholes. Trust me it's not the tactical dressing that gives you away. Tourist don't dress like that anyways. What gives you away is the you are in a TOURIST AREA SPEAKING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (English) AND LOOKING BEWILDERED first and foremost.
Yes, I agree this would be the main type of behavior to avoid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
In regards to the above gear, it's not foreign travel but just day to day dress in the good old US. The 501 vests for instance. We call those "shoot me first" vests in the concealed carry world because the bad guys will assume you are carrying a weapon and take out there threat first.
I do not know if the Marine Corps or 10th Mountain Division shirts would carry the same "shoot first" threat the 501 vest would, but yes, I can see your point. I still contend, however, (and in keeping with your sentiments that regardless of what you do, some locals "just know" you are a tourist) that if you can pull the look off, it might be better to dress in some sort of clothing that at least gives the appearance you are athletic, may have outdoor sports/survival/self sufficiency skills and training, etc.

In reading posts, one might not want to go too far with the look and come off as an unshaven/un-showered hosteling backpacker, but this can be easily remedied with a few upgrades.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
I do not know if the Marine Corps or 10th Mountain Division shirts would carry the same "shoot first" threat the 501 vest would, but yes, I can see your point. I still contend, however, (and in keeping with your sentiments that regardless of what you do, some locals "just know" you are a tourist) that if you can pull the look off, it might be better to dress in some sort of clothing that at least gives the appearance you are athletic, may have outdoor sports/survival/self sufficiency skills and training, etc.
Yeah. Some people take the opposite approach and try to blend in - it never works. Or, they try to....disavow I guess you can say...that they are American to lesson them being a perceived target in these foreign countries. They might sew on Canadian flags on their clothes or backpacks. Now - that is just uncool!!! For one thing you aren't a target because you are American, except for touts and salespeople because you bring greenbacks to them. Most of the citizens in these countries are just trying to make a living, and American tourists bring money to them, they may not always like our politics but they love our money. For another thing - I am proud to be an American, trying to deceive your nationality in such a blatant way is just a douchebag move.
If you are in the military and proud of your achievemants or your branch of service - wear it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness