Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 11:07 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaengel1986 View Post
. There's no need for anything else... there really isn't.

The US can give a year to turn everything in, and give you a check, then cut the receivers up with metal saws like Australia. I'm tired of the mass death.
"Well hey guys, I'm a moderate...I own some guns, hehe...but this is what I think you should let DC do to bring us more in line with the UK...EU...OZ...OK Mr and Mrs America, turn them all in like good little doobies, as Nancy Predator says...you don't NEED anything more than I think you should have...".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 11:21 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaengel1986 View Post
I'm also not convinced that there would be enough people to rise up and overthrow the government either, should the US decide to tighten down. A few wackjobs might do things, but in the end, it would take millions, and millions aren't going to march on Washington.

The US can give a year to turn everything in, and give you a check, then cut the receivers up with metal saws like Australia. I'm tired of the mass death.
The fact that you are okay with the government "tightening down" in order to deny citizens of their constitutional right is really all we need to know about your attitude to see which side of tyranny you stand on.

If you are really tired of "mass death" you'd be worried about the things that are actually causing mass death rather than the isolated incidents the media hypes. You'd be for banning the automobile, which causes far more deaths than a gun ever has in the US. You'd be much more concerned with funding cancer research, heart disease research, respiratory disease research, influenza research, etc.

Here are the cause of death stats for 2016 for you:

• Heart disease: 633,842
• Cancer: 595,930
• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
• Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
• Diabetes: 79,535
• Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

And here are the general firearm homicide numbers: Number of deaths: 12,979

And how many of those firearm homicide deaths were via "assault rifles" you ask? Well, here you go--number of "assault rifle" deaths: 267 (according to HuffPo, a liberal rag).

So, statistically, let's compare this to the number of automobile crash deaths, estimated at 40,000 for 2016.

Let's try percent of "assault rifle" deaths compared to auto deaths: that is 0.006675, which is 0.668% percent rounded to the nearest thousandth percent.

So roughly a bit over a half percent. Yet, what are you worried about when you think of "mass death"? "Assault rifles," of course. And why are you worried more about that? Because the media has conditioned you to be.

So, back to the original quandary: what is causing more in the way of "mass death," auto accidents or "assault weapons"? Well, I think you can figure that out even if you are mathematically challenged. The "assault weapon" is just over a half percent. And yet, that is the "mass death" that concerns you most. But, logically speaking, what should concern you the most? Well, look at the above stats and take a REASONABLE pick. The flu should concern you far more, statistically. And car crashes...

I'll tell you what, I'm far more concerned about car crashes than I am some freak shooting me with an "assault rifle." It's getting to where I'm afraid to even drive around here. Not to mention the insane auto insurance rates, thanks to idiot (murderous) drivers, and I've never been in a crash in forty years. Why should I pay for their stupidity? Stuff like that is what concerns me when I think of "mass death." Mass death on the highways of America.

BAN ALL CARS... is what you should be chanting. That would immediate save 40,000 lives rather than 267. Then again, you aren't thinking logically about it, are you? You are running purely on emotionally charged media overreaction. I've never seen them react to the bigger killer... auto crashes. Or even the flu.

Last edited by ChrisC; 03-21-2018 at 11:39 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 11:59 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
^^^ Can't rep you again for this, Chris.

They will never understand or think logically with cool heads. They have little brains that are malleable in the hands of would-be tyrants. I fear for my country if this younger generation does not change its thinking with a bit of age!

Old 03-22-2018, 12:40 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The fact that you are okay with the government "tightening down" in order to deny citizens of their constitutional right is really all we need to know about your attitude to see which side of tyranny you stand on.

If you are really tired of "mass death" you'd be worried about the things that are actually causing mass death rather than the isolated incidents the media hypes. You'd be for banning the automobile, which causes far more deaths than a gun ever has in the US. You'd be much more concerned with funding cancer research, heart disease research, respiratory disease research, influenza research, etc.

Here are the cause of death stats for 2016 for you:

• Heart disease: 633,842
• Cancer: 595,930
• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
• Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
• Diabetes: 79,535
• Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

And here are the general firearm homicide numbers: Number of deaths: 12,979

And how many of those firearm homicide deaths were via "assault rifles" you ask? Well, here you go--number of "assault rifle" deaths: 267 (according to HuffPo, a liberal rag).

So, statistically, let's compare this to the number of automobile crash deaths, estimated at 40,000 for 2016.

Let's try percent of "assault rifle" deaths compared to auto deaths: that is 0.006675, which is 0.668% percent rounded to the nearest thousandth percent.

So roughly a bit over a half percent. Yet, what are you worried about when you think of "mass death"? "Assault rifles," of course. And why are you worried more about that? Because the media has conditioned you to be.

So, back to the original quandary: what is causing more in the way of "mass death," auto accidents or "assault weapons"? Well, I think you can figure that out even if you are mathematically challenged. The "assault weapon" is just over a half percent. And yet, that is the "mass death" that concerns you most. But, logically speaking, what should concern you the most? Well, look at the above stats and take a REASONABLE pick. The flu should concern you far more, statistically. And car crashes...

I'll tell you what, I'm far more concerned about car crashes than I am some freak shooting me with an "assault rifle." It's getting to where I'm afraid to even drive around here. Not to mention the insane auto insurance rates, thanks to idiot (murderous) drivers, and I've never been in a crash in forty years. Why should I pay for their stupidity? Stuff like that is what concerns me when I think of "mass death." Mass death on the highways of America.

BAN ALL CARS... is what you should be chanting. That would immediate save 40,000 lives rather than 267. Then again, you aren't thinking logically about it, are you? You are running purely on emotionally charged media overreaction. I've never seen them react to the bigger killer... auto crashes. Or even the flu.

You missed a really good one to quite statics about:

According to the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/reproductiveheal...s/abortion.htm these are the 2014 numbers for Abortion. I had trouble getting the 2016 or 2017 numbers.

"In 2014, 652,639 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2014 was 12.1 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 186 abortions per 1,000 live births"

So even if there has been a 10% reduction in abortions since 2014 and I doubt that: that would still be 587,376 abortions.

Want to look where you can make a difference in saving lives, that would save allot more lives then any gun violence would, in eliminating Abortions.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:30 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
You missed a really good one to quite statics about:

According to the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/reproductiveheal...s/abortion.htm these are the 2014 numbers for Abortion. I had trouble getting the 2016 or 2017 numbers.

"In 2014, 652,639 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2014 was 12.1 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 186 abortions per 1,000 live births"

So even if there has been a 10% reduction in abortions since 2014 and I doubt that: that would still be 587,376 abortions.

Want to look where you can make a difference in saving lives, that would save allot more lives then any gun violence would, in eliminating Abortions.
Ah, but the libs don’t care about that! To them, it’s a lump of flesh, not “sentientâ€, not human...but if they were to find bacteria on Mars, whoa!!! We’ve found life on Mars! No matter how badly they want the Australian model instituted in the US, it could never happen here. The consequences of even attempting this would be too severe for those who would have to carry it out.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:01 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
It's not about reducing violence, or death. That's not the goal of Democrats, Media, Education, and the Progressive agenda they push. It is about further CONTROL of the law abiding. They know these shootings don't account for many deaths, and they know the AR-15, nor any LEGALLY owned, and legally used gun is the problem. They don't trust themselves with a gun, so they project that on to others.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:56 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
This video is a good one on dealing with an active shooter. It also illustrates my point that if they ban the black rifles, they will go after the semi-auto pistols next and if they ban the semi-auto pistols, they will go after shotguns and if they ban the shotguns, revolvers will be on the chopping block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

...great safety video to watch even if you hate guns.
Slippery Slope Fallacy

That's like saying, why should I eat healthy and exercise? At some point, I'll get hurt or work will be overwhelming and after that, I'll be behind and anyway after that I'll die anyway.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:18 AM

231 posts, read 251,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's not about reducing violence, or death. That's not the goal of Democrats, Media, Education, and the Progressive agenda they push. It is about further CONTROL of the law abiding. They know these shootings don't account for many deaths, and they know the AR-15, nor any LEGALLY owned, and legally used gun is the problem. They don't trust themselves with a gun, so they project that on to others.
People also don't consider what's next on the agenda if the antis successfully implement gun control. But people should because it won't stop at gun control.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:05 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHntr View Post
People also don't consider what's next on the agenda if the antis successfully implement gun control. But people should because it won't stop at gun control.
That's because they have Normalcy Bias. For those of us not afflicted, "what's next on the agenda" is something that we know would happen because it has historically happened over and over and over. It's clear to anyone who can think and is being honest in their thinking.

There are those on the left who KNOW this. They've written about it. They've plotted it all out. They've even given a timeline. It's not all that hard to find. A diligent search through Amazon books will uncover some of it. You can find some of it on the web as well.

On the other hand, there is the remaining 95% of the left, who are not particularly evil, and who do not know this and they cannot conceive that such a thing could ever happen again. Some don't even know that it ever has happened. These folks are what the Soviet bigwigs called "useful idiots" back in the early years of the USSR. The "useful idiots" are not especially perceptive when it comes to reading between the lines and they are overly likely to believe everything they are told by their political idols. They are easily brought to fevered pitch and follow blindly. They are apt to believe in fairy dust and think that the "snowcones" handed them by their leftist saviors really are snowcones.

Personally, I do not believe anything anyone says from either political party. Talk is cheap and rarely impresses me. I base my opinion on what these clowns are actually DOING to us. That is what is important for all of us. The only talk that alarms me, and should alarm everyone who values any semblance of personal liberty, is the call for tyranny. For THAT, I do not want to wait for it to come to pass because I can read of it in the (unrevised) history books and it never ends well.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:07 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHntr View Post
True. The First Amendment, and others are already under attack. The entire concept of "Hate Speech", and Politically Correct stifling of speech are all societal restrictions on Free Speech. It is so bad that some, or much of Europe has passed laws against speech in which they disagree. They have no First Amendment, but in reality do we?

If the Second Amendment falls, all the others will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness