Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 01:54 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

This probably sounds ignorant, but I'm not talking about gardening/farming which of course would be challenging to get going the first season. But here they are with endless game in the forest; a whole sea of fish to catch; crabs, clams, mussels on the shore.

I was just watching the new series on Netflix about the Pilgrims, so this struck me. And here is the crew of the Mayflower starving onboard for many months---didn't those seafarers FISH??

If no one knew how to fish or hunt, what hope did they have as colonists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 04:12 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This probably sounds ignorant, but I'm not talking about gardening/farming which of course would be challenging to get going the first season. But here they are with endless game in the forest; a whole sea of fish to catch; crabs, clams, mussels on the shore.

I was just watching the new series on Netflix about the Pilgrims, so this struck me. And here is the crew of the Mayflower starving onboard for many months---didn't those seafarers FISH??

Part of the problem was they landed November 11th, 1620. Worst time of the year for collecting wild edibles, and this was the new world so they didn't know the plants or animals, plus hunting was forbidden in Europe so they didn't have any hunting skills.

As for the seafood, it takes a lot of clams to make a meal and there is never an infinite supply, and digging them during winter storms can be dangerous. Fish are better, but for sea fishing you need a net which they didn't have. Plus, they didn't know the fishing grounds so they could have just been dragging a net over empty ocean.
They came to be farmers, so they had implements to plow and plant, not go native.

The Pilgrims were much like any other urban people, they had more knowledge of growing gardens than modern urban residents, and probably knew native plants in Europe they could eat, but plants are gone in winter and they had no idea what plants were here anyway.

One of my ancestors was in on that little adventure, he survived or I wouldn't be here. Still it was a pretty rough time and they were completely unprepared for what they encountered in part because they had planned on settling in Virginia, not Massachusetts.

It was a tragic perfect storm of doing everything wrong.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:15 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Part of the problem was they landed November 11th, 1620. Worst time of the year for collecting wild edibles, and this was the new world so they didn't know the plants or animals, plus hunting was forbidden in Europe so they didn't have any hunting skills.

As for the seafood, it takes a lot of clams to make a meal and there is never an infinite supply, and digging them during winter storms can be dangerous. Fish are better, but for sea fishing you need a net which they didn't have. Plus, they didn't know the fishing grounds so they could have just been dragging a net over empty ocean.
They came to be farmers, so they had implements to plow and plant, not go native.

The Pilgrims were much like any other urban people, they had more knowledge of growing gardens than modern urban residents, and probably knew native plants in Europe they could eat, but plants are gone in winter and they had no idea what plants were here anyway.

One of my ancestors was in on that little adventure, he survived or I wouldn't be here. Still it was a pretty rough time and they were completely unprepared for what they encountered in part because they had planned on settling in Virginia, not Massachusetts.

Super interesting thanks for sharing

Old 04-10-2018, 07:16 AM

136 posts, read 135,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

Came here to essentially say this.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:57 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
The climate of Massachusetts is quite different from that of the south of England. England had no harsh, brutal, winter to deal with and gentle, mild summers--much different from Massachusetts. The soil in England is rich and fertile; the Massachusetts soil is sandy and rocky. The seed the Pilgrims had brought wouldn't grow very well here. It was the Indians who taught them what does grow here: corn, beans, and squash--and gave them the seed. So the growing methods were different due to the poor soil as well as learning to grow different crops.

As previously, described, they landed in the worst possible time of year and then had to endure the unspeakable season of winter. We barely want to venture outside in winter today. Many of them weakened and died that first winter. March was called the dying month--if you made if through winter, you'd die in March.

I think they must have hunted. They came from the wealthy class who probably hunted for pleasure. They hunted wild turkey, deer, all sorts of forest animals. But that first winter much of their time and energy went into merely keeping warm, taking care of the sick, just basic survival.

That first spring must have been quite a challenge. Those who had managed to survive were weak and yet they had to clear the land, plant the unknown seeds that the Indians had given them, plant their own seeds that mostly wouldn't grow in this climate and these soils, mange to water the plants in our unpredictable and drier weather, then keep the plants growing through hot humid conditions that they had never known before, at the same time, harvesting and drying food to put by for the coming winter. It was mostly the Indians, namely Squanto, who kept them from dying. It's a wonder any of them survived.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:50 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I read one account where the ship laid anchor a good distance from the shore and it took many days for them to ferry all their stuff to shore. It was storming, and the people had to swim and walk alongside the longboats to guide them to the shore. So when they reached dry ground they were totally wet from the sea froth. It took many days of going back and forth to get all their stuff to shore. All the while they were drenched in sea water.

A pier would have helped a great deal.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:22 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

A decent question about fishing while on the ship traveling to the new world..
The open ocean has very little fish,its too deep.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:21 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,404 times
Little known fact :

"They showed up six weeks before winter with practically no food. In a desperate state, the pilgrims robbed corn from Native Americans graves and storehouses soon after they arrived"

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...and-strangers/

Old 04-16-2018, 09:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
The idea that North America was untouched wilderness when the Europeans found it is a myth. Even the East coast was home to tens of millions of natives.

In other words, the land was already occupied by people who were using the local resources and food was NOT everywhere. Add to that the primitive state of firearms at the time (the Pilgrims only had matchlocks) and the fact they were worn down from a long sea voyage with poor nutrition as it was and it's easy to understand why the pilgrims had a rough time starting out.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The idea that North America was untouched wilderness when the Europeans found it is a myth. Even the East coast was home to tens of millions of natives.

In other words, the land was already occupied by people who were using the local resources and food was NOT everywhere. Add to that the primitive state of firearms at the time (the Pilgrims only had matchlocks) and the fact they were worn down from a long sea voyage with poor nutrition as it was and it's easy to understand why the pilgrims had a rough time starting out.
Actually leptospirosis had done a number on the local Wampanoag tribes virtually clearing what we now call New England area. It even killed Squanto eventually. Look it up. BTW I think your tens f millions is a bit off. Where are you getting your data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness