Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
katharsis, the OP posts:
"One thing that has always puzzled me is -- what about banking and paying bills?"

You have a digital entry in your savings account at the bank. That's where your digital "savings" will stay. It will not be possible for the Federal Reserve to print enough cash for what is left of society to function.

Gold is the currency of kings.
Silver is the currency of gentlemen.
Barter is he currency of peasants.
Dept is the currency of slaves.

We survivors will be doing a lot of bartering. I am old enough to remember people cutting brush or splitting firewood for a meal before they moved on.
Well, A and B.

A: One of my family friends grew up during post WW I Prussia and told me of how silver was used then to get the essentials. From his lesson is why I collect silver coins, less of the big, more of the small. Of course there is that question, what is it that makes a precious metal precious?

B: I also collect other metals, namely brass, copper, lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:16 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, A and B.

A: One of my family friends grew up during post WW I Prussia and told me of how silver was used then to get the essentials. From his lesson is why I collect silver coins, less of the big, more of the small. Of course there is that question, what is it that makes a precious metal precious?

B: I also collect other metals, namely brass, copper, lead.
You will hear that silver only has value because it is used in manufacturing, but that is only part true. (BTW, gold is also used in manufacturing.) Precious metal is such because there isn't much of it, and man cannot change that.
(Diamonds are not precious, because, at any time we wish, we can make millions of them, absolutely indistinguishable from natural ones. They only have value as long as DeBeers says they do.)

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Oh, I would agree with that but I do think it is malevolence or at the very least, they will do what they need to accomplish their goals, regardless of who gets hurt in the process.
One way or another, TPTB probably sees us as pawns, to be used as they please.
Well, I don't see that as malevolence (which I define as intentionally harming someone) but agree that we are just pawns to them. As I said before, when it comes to government, we only have value to those we vote for and those we pay taxes to.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:08 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Let's assume the electromagnetic field is 50 kV/meter and say we have an electrical conductor that can function as an antenna that is 10 cm in length -- about 4 inches or so.

Do the math: 5000 volts.

Think your TV and cell-phone can handle that?

What if it was only 1 cm in length?

Do the math: 500 volts.
And then use some actual science instead of falling for nonsense like this. I have taken 30,000 volts to my body. We also applied 30,000 volts to the incredibly sensitive computer equipment we manufactured-and it survived. Sometimes it reset itself. This is called electrostatic discharge testing, and most manufacturers of computer and electronic equipment test it out as its a requirement to get the CE mark. Its not the voltage that kills equipment generally, its the amperage. So yes I KNOW my phone can handle 30,000 volts just fine. The question is about how much amperage, and that is a function of distance from the detonation.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And then use some actual science instead of falling for nonsense like this. I have taken 30,000 volts to my body. We also applied 30,000 volts to the incredibly sensitive computer equipment we manufactured-and it survived. Sometimes it reset itself. This is called electrostatic discharge testing, and most manufacturers of computer and electronic equipment test it out as its a requirement to get the CE mark. Its not the voltage that kills equipment generally, its the amperage. So yes I KNOW my phone can handle 30,000 volts just fine. The question is about how much amperage, and that is a function of distance from the detonation.
In many cases, it is a little of both, but you nailed one the flaws in his reasoning.

A 12V car battery can melt a wrench that gets connected between
the + and the frame of the car, but it will almost never harm a person
(due to the typical 377 Ohms internal resistance of a human)

Static discharge is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

What I also love are the people who talk about "Super EMP" bombs,
which are a piece work by people who don't know the self limiting
effects in our atmosphere.

Some people on here are pretty good at cutting and pasting from
other sites, and sometimes even changing the wording. Most are
not real science geeks, however.

If an EMP ever hits, the seeming randomness of the damage will
leave a lot of people scratching their heads.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:34 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
California is currently asking customers to limit electricity during peak hours due to the heat wave: California Was Warned Months Ago Its Grid Could Buckle In The Heat. Now It’s Happening | The Daily Caller. If we do not modernize and upgrade our infrastructure; we might not have to wait for the high altitude nuclear detonation.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:01 PM

Other parts of the country are in the same situation,
but most of these places can do rolling black-outs
to take a percentage of the load off for a while.

Unless the rolling blackout is initiated by Russian Hackers.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:25 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Your dad had it right. Most of the static about EMP is just scary campfire stories. Even with unshielded equipment, a lot would depend on how good an antenna it was and the antenna orientation to the blast. The power transmission system has built-in breakers everywhere nowadays. It takes direct hits from lightning all the time with no damage. The idea that EMP would take out all the transformers in the nation is laughable.
Lightning affects localized areas.... Failures in multiple large transformers drive the system into a cascading failure.

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/1.2737822

Old 07-25-2018, 09:37 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
We may have more to fear from squirrels than EMPs. Lets hope, lol. Could they be working with the Russians? Are we doomed?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4624ee797440

-------------------------------------------------

Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Lightning affects localized areas.... Failures in multiple large transformers drive the system into a cascading failure.

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/1.2737822
Cascading failures do not damage individual components. The breakers trip long before any damage is done. Picking up the load again can take a while, but it's a well understood procedure.

If you look at the specs on transmission line surge protection, the typical response time is 0.5 microsecond, and major transmission lines have them at every support point. A solar flare or EMP will almost certainly trip the system into cascade failure, but damage to major components would be rare. Local feeders might start fires as the transformer on the pole by your house explodes, but the idea of months to get the system back up is not realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness