Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 09:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I'm serious too! Not sure about a custom built but there bunchs of X military light armor vehicles out there. Probably not daily driver if that's what you're after
That's precisely what I wish. 99% of protection consists of discretion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Have you thought of an armored car?
In a war zone it'd be nice to have. For the US, sounds a bit wacko at this time.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
There is a company in South Africa that retrofits cars with a propane flamethrower to stop carjacking.
Pretty cool...….someone grabs your door and you just blast them and set them on fire.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

Old 10-12-2018, 02:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yet not about people like the thugs in Charlottesville, eh?

So tell us, when people are rioting do you walk up to them and inquire about their political leanings before deciding whether to be concerned or not?
I know who my enemies are. I also know to avoid areas where self-defense brings a murder charge. We know enough about Virginia mobs to avoid that state. That mob who went after Sarah Huckabee Sanders would have killed her if they could have just as the mob in Charlottesville would have killed a young man there during the leftist riot, a riot seemingly unnoticed by local authorities.

There's little chance that I'll need an armored car where I live. The chances that I'll need a fire extinguisher aren't much greater, but I have fire extinguishers. I have more use for an armored car regardless of the need for armor.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
A country where an armored car is necessary is a country not worth living in. If you like that sort of thing though, knock yourself out.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:26 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
A country where an armored car is necessary is a country not worth living in. If you like that sort of thing though, knock yourself out.
I personally don't feel I need an armored car, but I will offer my favorite analogy modified to suit this topic: driving a car in which a spare tire is necessary is a car not worth driving...

Or as was alluded to above: living in a home where a fire extinguisher is necessary is a home not worth living in.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:22 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
^Poor analogy IMO. Who hasn't had a flat tire? I would guess that many, if not most, people have.

Home fires? Much less common, but they do occur and extinguishers are fairly cheap so it's a good safety device to invest in.

An armored car? Very expensive to own and operate, and the chances of needing one are probably less than getting hit by a meteorite. Might as well wear a helmet everywhere you go too.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:56 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
^Poor analogy IMO. Who hasn't had a flat tire? I would guess that many, if not most, people have.

Home fires? Much less common, but they do occur and extinguishers are fairly cheap so it's a good safety device to invest in.

An armored car? Very expensive to own and operate, and the chances of needing one are probably less than getting hit by a meteorite. Might as well wear a helmet everywhere you go too.
As a hobby I reenact WW2. things used as a hobby can be used in dire circumstances should they occur. I know guys with half tracks, jeeps, APC's, and even tanks. Big money hobby I know and not too applicable to the discussion other then as an excuse to have Military stuff............

Be safe and keep your powder dry!!!
Todd

Old 10-13-2018, 11:14 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Like Brazil. There are many companies there who do the conversions. One of friends drives an armored Range Rover and I’ll admit, there’s a certain amount of comfort when we’re in it, after midnight, on the streets of São Paulo. Nearly everyone I know in BR was lost at least one car - either stolen or car-jacked. Tough place to live, something like 60% of those over 30 would leave Brazil if they could. The percentage, IIRC, goes up for those over 20.

Thank goodness we aren’t Brazil. I rarely feel even threatened in my location.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:49 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Like Brazil. There are many companies there who do the conversions. One of friends drives an armored Range Rover and I’ll admit, there’s a certain amount of comfort when we’re in it, after midnight, on the streets of São Paulo. ...
The difference in thinking is, in places like Brazil, there are plenty of soft targets around, and all you have to do is be hard enough for the bad guys to go on to the next target. In the mind of many, within some time frame after SHTF, all of the soft targets will either be eliminated or assimilated into gangs. Not necessarily accurate, but that is their thinking, thus there are no other targets and you have to be hard enough to stand any form of attack the bad guys are likely to be able to mount.

Quote:
Thank goodness we aren’t Brazil. I rarely feel even threatened in my location.
Same here, now that I moved.
But things can change.

When I moved to my last location, some people used to call it Mayberry since nothing happened there. When I left, 20 years later, the population had doubled and the crime rate increased five-fold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness