Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times

Advertisements

I hardly ever get out. I'm used to staying in for weeks & months & years at a time....[I hope this post gets past the warden and his censors here.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
I never stay home all day. Never have and never will until I absolutely have to. My background has had me busy and here and there all my life. Now that I'm retired and see multitudes of retirees, do basically nothing productive. I have no desire to stay home, and see these types all day long. I'd sooner be dead. Staying home would encourage a more sedentary lifestyle, and that's not me. I need and do a ton of exercise as I've been on insulin much oh my life.

I fill my day by volunteering if that's available. A part-time job when there is one. Im always at a gym, or a bike trail daily. When I am home. Its taking care of my yard, or chores related to the house. Some TV and computer.

Staying home all day would not be emotionally, or physically healthy for me.

What others do is entirely up to them.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,134 times
We live a mobile lifestyle, touring in our RV full time, so we’re at home wherever we are. We spend lots of time outside in beautiful surroundings, with plenty of fresh air and sunshine, so while we are at home all the time, we are not confined within the walls of a stuffy building.

Love and All Good Things,

Mahrie.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
Home is my favorite place. It’s not unusual at all for me to spend the entire day at home, in fact, it’s more common than not now that I’m retired. Even when working though, I welcomed the chance to spend time at home.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Do you mean staying inside the house all day or just staying on or near your property all day? I walk nearly every day, but every week I spend 3 to 5 days not driving anywhere or going into town. After years of itching to take off most weekends (after being at work all week), somewhere along the line I came to love being at home—but not literally cooped up indoors. I never felt this way when I lived in town limits or in suburbs, only when living in places with space and privacy and natural beauty around.

When we go into town, sometimes I wonder how I ever tolerated having other people live so close by.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-10-2018 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-11-2018, 05:17 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
OP back! Very interesting reads guys! I'll return to read more. Technically, I shouldn't have said that I go "stir-crazy" after 2-3 days because according to the definition, the term means the following in which I never, ever get to that point:

"Stir crazy is an experience of anxiety about being trapped in a future of boredom; it associated with prisoners and adolescents.[1] It is also called "chronophobia".[1] According to the Oxford English Dictionary the phrase dates back to 1908 and stems from the slang term "stir" for prison[2]."

Also, when I do go out, it's just w/ either my fiance' (who I live w/) OR my mother if I'm not alone. I do meet up w/ a cousin about once a year now, but that just started last year, so that hasn't been going on in my 43 yrs of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
some of us just don't need human companionship, I really don't like people that much, now give me a decent dog and that's another matter, but people don't make me happy, the opposite in fact.
I'm an only child & had a pretty isolated live overall...never been a part of a group of friends, barely had 1 or 2 friends at any one point in my life & I'd maybe meet up w/ them once a year IF that, so I don't care for people that much either. (I have had a significant other consistently since I was 18, so that's all I need.) The way a lot of people are out there these days, I don't care to be around them. So, so many are imposing, narcissistic, unfriendly, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I never stay home "all day," as I will always go out once or twice to eat/carry out. Even on the weekends when I'm off and not working, I'll go out at least once a day for food.
I've done that many times...just gone out to get food & come right back, ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMathMajor View Post
When I was self-employed and working from home I made a point of leaving at least once a day. Even though I'm an introvert to my core, I found I'd get stir-crazy if I didn't get out and about. Sometimes all I'd need is a long walk in the nearest park.

Now that I'm back to working an office job, I try to reserve either Saturday or Sunday as a stay-at-home day. Ideally I try not to do much on that day either...I treat it like a real Sabbath as much as possible.

If I stay inside for two days or more, I get stir-crazy.
I'm most like you when I worked outside of the home. M-F, my being out of the house was to go to work & maybe I'd go somewhere after work while already out. Once I got home, I stayed home the rest of that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
no, I don't like bunkers, I need to be above ground, to smell the earth and see the sky and to keep an eye on what is going on around me.
Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Do you mean staying inside the house all day or just staying on or near your property all day? I walk nearly every day, but every week I spend 3 to 5 days not driving anywhere or going into town. After years of itching to take off most weekends (after being at work all week), somewhere along the line I came to love being at home—but not literally cooped up indoors. I never felt this way when I lived in town limits or in suburbs, only when living in places with space and privacy and natural beauty around.

When we go into town, sometimes I wonder how I ever tolerated having other people live so close by.
I won't go as strictly as to mean literally INSIDE of the house. If you have a nice outdoor space on your property, like to hang out in your garage, etc. then that can still be "staying home".

Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 AM

1,665 posts, read 973,674 times
I can stay home and not leave.

I work 24 hrs and off for 48 hrs. During the time I work, I'm in town, dealing with narcissism in the work place, too many chiefs and not enough Indians, per se.

So when I get off, at 6 am, I go home, refresh with another shower, bandage my back from all the backstabbing and chill.

But I do go riding around in the country where we live at times. But usually I stay home, taking care of the animals and do what needs to be done.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
We live a mobile lifestyle, touring in our RV full time, so we’re at home wherever we are. We spend lots of time outside in beautiful surroundings, with plenty of fresh air and sunshine, so while we are at home all the time, we are not confined within the walls of a stuffy building.

Mahrie.

LOVE these stories, guys!

After reading further, I’d like to further comment. I’ve spent, along with my husband, almost 45 years in the missionary field. We’ve travelled a lot of the world, giving benefit concerts to help with outreach programs, and we still do that, but a little differently than we used to.

Sixteen years ago (on Debember 26th), I was involved in a serious truck accident which left me unable to walk more than a few steps. Five minutes is about my limit. *Because* of the accident and the damage to my spine, shoulders, hips, knees, legs, and ankles, I have sustained a number of significant falls over the years, which both added to and exacerbated my initial injuries. When I’m not on the concert stage or TV shows (which I, of course, need help to get to etc), I pretty much live on the mattress in our RV/tour bus.

It isn’t boring at all because I’m either practising, writing (I write novels as well as songs and music), or sharing down time with my husband either listening to an audiobook (I’m legally blind), or watching one of our favourite movies, which we do maybe twice a week.

Immediately after the accident, when I could no longer ‘carry on up the jungle,’ so to speak, I spent quite some time (several months) recoupersting on a mattress in a stationary house. I was alone for fourteen hours a day for a nine-month period, and I became extremely depressed and lonely. I now know what cabin fever is all about. I saw my husband for an hour in the morning and an hour at night (he had to attend to our prior obligations). I didn’t talk to anyone else, and I never left my bedroom. I hated that.

I cried a lot, drank too much wine (I don’t drink anymore), and I ended up in the hospital because the alcohol, which I wasn’t used to, irritated my heart. So, that wasn’t the best idea I’d ever had, but I didn’t expect it to further damage my body. It didn’t do anything permanent, thank God, but that was my last dance with any kind of alcohol!

I couldn’t stand being cooped up in a room and my feelings for our house morphed from love to hate. We still own a cabin in the mountains, which I love, but we’re not often at home.

We bought a big enough RV to carry our musical equipment, and with a little help from my husband we resumed our former touring schedule, and I once again feel connected to life and the living. I couldn’t be more grateful! So, despite our cabin, our RV/tour bus is home to me, and I love it. I would not voluntarily live in a stationary house again, as fond as I am of home and hearth. One never knows what life is going to surprise one with next, and I’m just so grateful for the technology that allows me to still be of use, and for the gift of LOVE from both God and my husband that makes every moment of my life a joy.

I’m grateful too for our audience and readers who find what we do enriching to their own lives. I love you all.

Mahrie. (A.K.A - Jesse.)

Last edited by Mahrie; 12-11-2018 at 07:14 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 04:13 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,220 times
I’m on my property (65) acres most days, very few reasons to leave.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:53 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
I should probably stay home more than I do.

Last night, had to bring the wife to a Christmas party. We'll only be there an hour, she told me. Four hours later, she was still having fun. I was miserable, nursing a warm beer while listening to some boring dullard complain about his job. Finally, we left about 11 pm.

Sheesh, why does she drag me to these things? I rea!ly hate trying to socialize with people I don't know. It's just torture to me. On the way home, I asked her why she'd said we'd be there only an hour? Hunh. She thought I'd relax after awhile and enjoy the party.

After 44 years of marriage, you'd think she'd know me by now! She does, and that's what's so sad about the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness