Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:09 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times

Advertisements

I go out every day early morning for my country walk, I live in the middle of the countryside, i'm a bit of a hermit, a recluse, a solitary individual, I don't need other people to be happy, I could stay indoors for weeks on end without any problem.
there is a drive at the moment to seek out lonely people at Christmas, but lonely isn't in my vocabulary, I might get bored but never lonely.

Last edited by bigpaul; 12-06-2018 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 01:29 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
This is actually a potential decent SS&P thread due to the fact that staying isolated for extended periods of time can cause cabin fever and other issues . Even the most introverted of us all must have some sort of human interaction every once in a while.

Since I'm an introvert and semi self sufficient (still have a long way to go but who doesn't?), I like to stay out on my property as long as possible just for my idea of a good time. I can last about a couple weeks, but then crave some sort of good time to share with my friends. Not to mention re-stock on consumables.

One time I was worried about my "neighbor", as there was no tire tracks leaving his property for several months, which have to pass by my driveway, hence why I notice. Finally ran into him and him and his family were doing great, just hunkering down on the homestead for the winter. They are way more hardcore than me .

The grim reality of isolation, is that my other "neighbor" wasn't seen for over a few weeks, and someone went to check on him. He was found with his truck door open slumped over in his front seat and was dead for at least a couple of weeks.

If there was ever an airborne superbug, say Ebola on steroids or such, I'd want to stay put and isolated for as long as possible. Up to a year is the ultimate goal.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:48 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
I'm on disability and have no working transportation. I'm lucky to get out twice a week. Not so good for my hobby as a photog(apher)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
If there was ever an airborne superbug, say Ebola on steroids or such, I'd want to stay put and isolated for as long as possible. Up to a year is the ultimate goal.
If there's a massive outbreak of anything lethal, zombies included, I want to be among the first to go. Not real keen on the idea of helping mankind start anew.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 12-06-2018 at 02:01 AM..

Old 12-06-2018, 01:48 AM

some of us just don't need human companionship, I really don't like people that much, now give me a decent dog and that's another matter, but people don't make me happy, the opposite in fact.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:00 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
some of us just don't need human companionship, I really don't like people that much, now give me a decent dog and that's another matter, but people don't make me happy, the opposite in fact.
I dislike most people too, but what's the longest you've gone without seeing anyone? Including simple things like traffic driving on the road, and store clerks?

Extreme isolation wears on even the most extreme of introverts eventually. Unfortunately, we are all social creatures to at least some extent by default.

It's a real thing to be concerned about if you're planning on hunkering down for extended periods of time for survival purposes.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
I dislike most people too, but what's the longest you've gone without seeing anyone? Including simple things like traffic driving on the road, and store clerks?

Extreme isolation wears on even the most extreme of introverts eventually. Unfortunately, we are all social creatures to at least some extent by default.

It's a real thing to be concerned about if you're planning on hunkering down for extended periods of time for survival purposes.
when I lived off grid the longest was 12 years. you are incorrect we aren't ALL social creatures, i'd happily never see another human being as long as I live. its humans that cause the problems of the world. I may get my wish POST SHTF.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
I seem to get out of the house at least four times a week. Working on the rental and getting it sold was a pain. It was 45 minutes from home, and we were there on and off since August. I was also in therapy three times a week for my hand while trying to get the rental ready for the market. It was a pretty busy summer, so we weren't home much.

The weather is bad but it never stopped me from walking the dogs for an hour plus at least three times a week. I lost one last March, and the Yorkie doesn't really like the cold. I can dress him for it but it's just not the same without my Howie. I need to start walking again.

We still ice skate once a week, roller skate once a week, and have dinner and swim with friends once, sometimes twice a week. Ski season is here so we will go ski once a week as well.

I love my home, I love being retired, but sitting around is not good. There will be an upholstery class coming up in February, and I think I'm ready to do it now. I broke my arm and wrist two days after I bought half a hide for John's office chair in May, and the last class was in September. Which I wasn't ready for.

I'm up for a project, but we need the weather to break so we can have the windows open. Winter is a slow time for us. We have free tickets to go anywhere we want in the world. It might be a good time to get out of Dodge for awhile. Oh wait, Christmas and the six year old spending the night is right around the corner. I think we'll take her to the zoo on Sunday in the city to see the lights. That will be fun.

I change directions a lot and love spur of the moment outings. Last week we went to a few antique stores within an hours drive. Today we have to go to the bank, and maybe hit another one close by. I've been trying to go since last week.

There are days that I don't move much, but I try not to make that the norm.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
I live a pretty isolated life too. Currently I have to work with the public, but that will be changing soon. I can and have spent weeks at a time at my cabin with no human interaction, not a bad life with a good dog.

The wife and I are in the middle of buying a property that is very isolated. The nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles away, and the next is 4 miles past that. I don't like most people, but I love to read and research on the web, so those long northern winter nights are perfect. Just read some very good stuff on the Plantagenet family that ruled England from just before 1100 to mid 1400s. Nasty bunch. They kind of exemplify many of my impressions of humans in general.

I did offer to sell a small piece of the ground to my Hunting Partner. We've been friends for about 40 years, but can't stand his wife, but you take the good with the bad and he would be a lot of help in an emergency.

With that place, I can roll up the driveway and keep the world outside the fence. Once I get moved there, I doubt I'll go to town (10 miles away to the closest town of about 250, 40 miles to the nearest town of 1500) more than once a month or so during the winter. Summer I'll have to go out to sell my stuff I make during the winter, but otherwise, I don't need a lot of human contact. The less I have the better I do.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:18 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:

The longest I've gone was just a few days. I've never lived in an isolated area. Even if you're trying to avoid people, you're going to see someone running with their dog, someone driving down the road, or guys from the electric company fixing something.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:23 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
I long for days or weeks even where I can meander in my own little part of the world...
Work and family obligation make that impossible .
Today I was going to stay in. .then a family matter had to be served. I know that "if I can be of service' then I get it done....I will have time later in life to be shut in and not be any good to anyone....so for now...I do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness