Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 03:10 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times

Advertisements

Tonight I opened a two pould Velveeta Cheese block dated "best when used by" date of....

20Mar2015

It was stored under the counter .... no light, at room temp.

I had to toss it, it was nasty even outside the package. Was worse when I opened it.

SO THEN I OPENED THE SECOND ONE!

Dated : 27JUN2017

It also showed some nasty signs .... outside the package like the first one (which was totally nasty outside the package).

After opening it, it seems to be bad on the ends of the log, so I cut off the ends.

I am now eating the middle.

Do not try this at home because I can eat with dogs.

My advice, do not store Velveeta for any SHTF whatsoever.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 03:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I just bought a 2 lb. box. The expiration date is Oct. 22, 2019. That's just under six months. That's fine because I probably use about one box per month so I keep five boxes. My largest single use is for wrapping two pills for my dog each night. Beyond that, it's great for baked macaroni and cheese and makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches.

It is not a long term storage product, but a six month shelf life is more than adequate. If you need a longer shelf life, buy canned cheese. Meanwhile, I'll continue buying Velveeta to guarantee a full larder.

I also buy fresh milk and butter. Half and half, even opened, keeps for two months. I also buy fresh vegetables and fruits that are only good for a few days. Preparedness for emergencies is necessary, but it's just as important to maintain the necessities of daily life.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:19 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Tonight I opened a two pould Velveeta Cheese block dated "best when used by" date of....

20Mar2015

It was stored under the counter .... no light, at room temp.

I had to toss it, it was nasty even outside the package. Was worse when I opened it.

SO THEN I OPENED THE SECOND ONE!

Dated : 27JUN2017

It also showed some nasty signs .... outside the package like the first one (which was totally nasty outside the package).

After opening it, it seems to be bad on the ends of the log, so I cut off the ends.

I am now eating the middle.

Do not try this at home because I can eat with dogs.

My advice, do not store Velveeta for any SHTF whatsoever.

Is there some REASON you chose to put your life in danger??

Old 04-28-2019, 05:53 PM

264 posts, read 200,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Is there some REASON you chose to put your life in danger??

Cheaper than skydiving ?

Old 04-28-2019, 06:02 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
If you are stocking Velveeta for SHTF, you can do much better. Look up Red Feather canned cheese. It is a natural, full fat cheese (cheddar) packed in heavy duty cans and guaranteed to have an 'indefinite' shelf life. We buy it by the case, and have used it 10 years later. Excellent quality, and zero signs of spoilage.

If you are buying Velveeta to enjoy now, that's fine - but you can still do better. Buy natural, full fat cheeses and refrigerate them. You can even freeze natural cheese for a few years, with no nasty results inside of outside the package.

Velveeta is a processed cheese food, not real cheese. Why anyone would want to eat this adulterated product is beyond me. Not good for you, whether fresh or nasty. Eat real foods, or suffer the consequences.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:16 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
We bought a case of this canned cheese with allegedly indefinite shelf life. It's pretty good on crackers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

And while we're talking dairy products, canned butter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

It tastes like butter as you'd expect, though the texture is a bit firmer. I've been told it doesn't melt but I don't recall ever trying.

Washington state university sells a variety of canned gourmet cheeses, however they are supposed to be refrigerated. We bought 3 varieties but haven't tried them yet. The tins are very large. https://creamery.wsu.edu/

Old 04-28-2019, 06:44 PM

264 posts, read 200,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you are stocking Velveeta for SHTF, you can do much better. Look up Red Feather canned cheese. It is a natural, full fat cheese (cheddar) packed in heavy duty cans and guaranteed to have an 'indefinite' shelf life. We buy it by the case, and have used it 10 years later. Excellent quality, and zero signs of spoilage.

Got a couple cases of each in storage. Along with case of Yoder's canned bacon, I'm zombie ready. :d

Old 04-29-2019, 08:37 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

If you are buying Velveeta to enjoy now, that's fine - but you can still do better. Buy natural, full fat cheeses and refrigerate them. You can even freeze natural cheese for a few years, with no nasty results inside of outside the package.

Velveeta is a processed cheese food, not real cheese. Why anyone would want to eat this adulterated product is beyond me. Not good for you, whether fresh or nasty. Eat real foods, or suffer the consequences.
Is that even possible? lol. My DH used to eat it on crackers and thought it was great. Yuk. I don't want to eat any cheese that is "shelf stable."

Old 04-29-2019, 11:51 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Cheese is a dairy product and dairy products require refrigeration as a rule. I automatically freeze milk and that gives me several months and a lot of ice should I need it. Lowers the fridge load as well as frozen milk helps shoulder the cooling burden.

Since they put "Best if used by" on everything now - and have shortened to period to six months when they used to allow years on many products - the date has lost most of its meaning.

Keep food cool and dry when possible - that will give the owner a lot more time. it is almost impossible to prep and live by the six month "advisement." That date helps stores rotate their stocks properly though.

Canned foods are widely reputed to last a long time indeed though ingredients may separate. If the thought of old food sickens your delicate sensitivities - don't prep. You wouldn't hack it in a likely "preppers environment" anyway.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:09 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Really the best way to have "shelf stable" dairy is to get goats. Before refrigeration milk was preserved by fermenting it into cheese, kefir, yogurt, etc. Sheep work well too. They are harder to milk, but on the other hand their milk has nearly twice the protein of cow's milk so you need less of it. True "Greek Yogurt" is made from sheep milk.

"Velveeta is a processed cheese food, not real cheese". Velveeta was invented by a cheesemaker who wanted a way to mix all the "bits and pieces" of cheese that were leftover from cutting and packaging up the cheese. The name came from the velvety texture of it. It's origins were mostly real cheese, but I have no idea how the modern day version is made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness