Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Weapons necessary or not?
I carry everywhere and have multiple guns/weapons 25 28.74%
I don't carry but have multiple guns/weapons 33 37.93%
I have guns/weapons only for critter control 6 6.90%
I don't own guns/weapons but thinking about it 5 5.75%
I don't own any guns/weapons 10 11.49%
other 8 9.20%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 10:02 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
The paranoia and chest beating by the over the top gun owning, 'ready for anything' crowd always gives me a good laugh.

If you're within a few feet of someone, a knife is a better tool than a gun any day.

I won't see three armed attackers at my gate. This is the reality, not a movie. Prepare for realistic events (which would be someone trying to sneak into your house to steal something, thinking a frontal assault of your home might actually happen is just stupid).

There are a lot of people out there who never thought a home invasion would happen. Until it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 10:22 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
There are a lot of people out there who never thought a home invasion would happen. Until it did.
Last year there were 3 home invasion in Clairemont alone. All senior citizens. They beat one older guy to death. https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...y/159169/These self proclaimed bad asses live in an alternate universe than the rest of us.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:05 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
In my experience, the situations in which a person would need a gun are so rare it's silly to plan for. That said, practically speaking, if you're in close quarters with someone, why would you want a gun over a knife? Close range, guns are slower to draw, easier to miss. I've simply never been in a situation in my life where I felt a gun would have made me safer. Having lived in a town of 400 people in the middle of Wyoming to the inner city in major east coast cities, I potentially see guns as useful as a threat of force in rural areas. In cities they really aren't useful.

Guns are something that make people feel safer, not something that actually provide as much real safety. I am sure many people here will disagree with that, and that's fine. We can agree to disagree.
Not all threats are people... ever find yourself eye to eye with a timber rattler? or water moccasin? how about a rabid fox?

My land is my sanctuary. Seems perfectly safe with zero threats, so it seems. just like a snake in the grass bad guys are there too. Remember evil comes dressed like a lamb. However situational awareness is your best defense.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:43 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I based my decisions on rational thought and likelihood of something happening, not paranoia based on fringe events. People get hit by drunk drivers every day, but I don't refuse to walk on a sidewalk near bars/restaurants. It seem silly to carry a gun because a very fringe event might happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Not all threats are people... ever find yourself eye to eye with a timber rattler? or water moccasin? how about a rabid fox?

My land is my sanctuary. Seems perfectly safe with zero threats, so it seems. just like a snake in the grass bad guys are there too. Remember evil comes dressed like a lamb. However situational awareness is your best defense.
Yes, I have come face to face with animals. I lived in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. I never even came close to needing a gun.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:07 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My property carry has the first two rounds with snake shot.... .38 spl.
Hey, that's what I do.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:33 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I carry even where I am not legally allowed to carry because that is Unconstitutional. I will honor private property wishes.
You disarm when on gun-free private property or do you just avoid gun-free zones?

Are weapons/guns necessary for preparedness?
Not really. There have been many natural disasters and not that many cases where law breaks down and people rely on their own weapons to defend themselves.

Misleading reports of lawlessness after Katrina worsened crisis, officials say
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...eading-reports

The most common crime is looting. But is it worth it to risk your life in a shootout with looters? Just get insurance to cover it. It's also know that when an abusive partner has access to firearms, statistics show that domestic violence is more likely to turn deadly. I see this study:
Quote:
The literature review also highlight that there are only a few studies, which focus on the relation between being exposed to a natural disaster and the rates of interpersonal violence.[16] The results of these studies reveal that being exposed to natural disasters such as tsunami, hurricane, earthquake, and flood increases the violence against women and girls, e.g., rape and sexual abuse,[39,40,41] intimate partner violence,[32,42,43,44] child PTSD,[45] child abuse,[46,47] and inflicted traumatic brain injury
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3908534/

Old 04-07-2020, 04:51 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Yes.

I own a selection of different weapons.

I live in a state with Constitutional Open Carry and Concealed Carry.

If you do not see my carrying, you should just assume that it is concealed.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:59 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
You disarm when on gun-free private property or do you just avoid gun-free zones?

Not really. There have been many natural disasters and not that many cases where law breaks down and people rely on their own weapons to defend themselves.

Misleading reports of lawlessness after Katrina worsened crisis, officials say
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...eading-reports

The most common crime is looting. But is it worth it to risk your life in a shootout with looters? Just get insurance to cover it. It's also know that when an abusive partner has access to firearms, statistics show that domestic violence is more likely to turn deadly. I see this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3908534/
There has been a rash of home invasions here mostly to small business owners they think have a lot of cash.

If you have an abusive partner you should probably leave.

I avoid any place that is a "gun free zone" because statistics prove that's the most likely place for a mass shooting.

I hunt. It's much easier to kill something with a firearm vs my bare hands.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:29 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Yes.

I own a selection of different weapons.

I live in a state with Constitutional Open Carry and Concealed Carry.

If you do not see my carrying, you should just assume that it is concealed.
^^^This for sure, Sub!

Old 04-07-2020, 05:33 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There has been a rash of home invasions here mostly to small business owners they think have a lot of cash.

If you have an abusive partner you should probably leave.

You should just move to a safer area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness