U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 12:08 PM

950 posts, read 694,346 times

Advertisements

For health reasons I am considering selling my place. There are tons of reasons that it would not sell to the general public but just as many reasons that it would be a treasure for a prepper. If we decide to sell, what would be the best way to let preppers know about it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 12:23 PM

11,838 posts, read 8,493,035 times
Do you belong to any local groups and forums for preppers, homesteaders, gardeners, other farming and self sufficiency type groups? There are many on our local area, on facebook and to a lesser extent, Nextdoor and MeWe. If you belong to those, you can kindof network to like-minded people who may have friends.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:22 PM

6,654 posts, read 7,804,030 times
If you're looking for off grid types, Mother Earth News has a classified section and they do list real estate.
Usually for 2 or 3 times what it's worth, but it's a good place to catch wannabes.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:08 PM

4,677 posts, read 24,080,209 times
You could ask your neighbors is they are interested. I sold some property that way years ago. Neighbors on each side went in together to buy it.

I know you have your reasons for not wanting to sell it to "general public", but honestly, you might get more money, and isn't that the goal of selling it? To cash out for the maximum amount?

Old 07-10-2021, 12:59 AM

17,121 posts, read 20,915,001 times
Put a "for sale ad" on the bulletin board at the local church, post office & general store, to start with. Put up a sign on a tree at the bottom of your driveway.
Good Luck.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:23 PM

6,284 posts, read 2,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
For health reasons I am considering selling my place. There are tons of reasons that it would not sell to the general public but just as many reasons that it would be a treasure for a prepper. If we decide to sell, what would be the best way to let preppers know about it?
The first thing I would do is make up a list of all of the features that you think would be of interest to a prepper. If you can come up with a fairly long list, organized by type of feature, that is even better.

Step two would be to mention it on various "prepper" forums, as you did here. To do that, you need to get a separate email address just for this venture. I have what one prepper called a "ghost mail" address for handling this kind of stuff. That is an email address, not connected directly to your real name and address. That way scammers won't be trying to hack you while you do this. Use that email address to direct all inquiries to the real estate agent. (Unless you are trying to do "for sale by owner" and that opens a whole new can of worms.

If one of those features is a basically "hidden" location, you might try getting a real estate agent to list it with only a general location, not an address. I saw quite a few of them in my area with that kind of listing, when I was in the market.
Here is an example, although it isn't anywhere near you.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M71486-65405
If someone with my skills wanted to track it down, it wouldn't be hard, but it isn't advertising its location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I know you have your reasons for not wanting to sell it to "general public", but honestly, you might get more money, and isn't that the goal of selling it? To cash out for the maximum amount?
That wasn't what she said.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:46 AM

4,007 posts, read 1,721,602 times
Make a 'drive up' video of the place including all features: Chicken coop, pastures, woods, water and water features, hookups or hookup ability to electric water and gas. Sewer, septic, leech field, outhouse, PEET test...etc. Distance to closest towns, hospitals and big box stores. The better quality the video the...better, but you can do it with a cell phone.

Post it on Youtube.

Post the URL to the video where ever you want, along with contact info or to DM you for contact info. They can DM you to contact your agent...whatever.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:18 PM

4,677 posts, read 24,080,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The first thing I would do is make up a list of all of the features that you think would be of interest to a prepper. If you can come up with a fairly long list, organized by type of feature, that is even better.

Step two would be to mention it on various "prepper" forums, as you did here. To do that, you need to get a separate email address just for this venture. I have what one prepper called a "ghost mail" address for handling this kind of stuff. That is an email address, not connected directly to your real name and address. That way scammers won't be trying to hack you while you do this. Use that email address to direct all inquiries to the real estate agent. (Unless you are trying to do "for sale by owner" and that opens a whole new can of worms.

If one of those features is a basically "hidden" location, you might try getting a real estate agent to list it with only a general location, not an address. I saw quite a few of them in my area with that kind of listing, when I was in the market.
Here is an example, although it isn't anywhere near you.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M71486-65405
If someone with my skills wanted to track it down, it wouldn't be hard, but it isn't advertising its location.

That wasn't what she said.
Oops, my bad. I mis read what she said. Advice still stands to approach neighbors.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:50 AM
Status: "Cold, tired, thinking about teas..." (set 2 days ago)

4,558 posts, read 2,675,593 times
Reddit has several prepper preparedness groups just search a bit. There is Mrs Survival forum. There exist specific female prepper forums, Reddit also has one.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:36 PM

7,308 posts, read 3,580,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
List it with an agent/broker. This will cast a much wider net than "your neighbors" or posting a "For sale" sign at the bottom of your driveway.
If you have something special, then put it out there for as many eyes as possible. (As long as it's legal.)

Now, if you have illegal operations, then yes, you'll want it limited exposure. Especially to BATF or LE...

Either way, GLWS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness