Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 09:02 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The problem with home made insulin is that it still has to be injected. It won't make it past your stomach acid intact....Centrifuge? How about adapting a potter's wheel?

You're about necrotizing fascitis...Tape the aspirin next to it, not right on it....Antibiotics won't help the primary fascitis, caused by a toxin in the spider juice. They would help in any secondary infection that occurs later in the open wound....i always used a liberal (pardon the term) application of Vaseline to serve as a second skin in the many open wounds I got playing ball on amateur Fileds of Screams for so many years...works like a charm to keep out germs/small animals and heals with no scab to crack and get re-infected...Also, coat gauze with it before applying over a wound to prevent the gauze from sticking and re-opening the wound when you change dressings.

Re: vitamins..I'm not aware that they become toxic, but they may well become oxidized and thus impotent after exposed to air....NTG (if you need that, you ain't gunna make anyways in a SHTF situation) is only good for <3 months after opening the bottle, for the same reason.
Potter's wheel is a good idea. Injecting it won't be a problem, with all of the syringes floating around our, so called, civilization today

I know about the primary facitis: that requires debriding. It is the onset of strep based sepsis that has always been the problem. I keep more aspirin on hand than I will use in my lifetime (I do rotate it out after a few years, just to be safe) for other reasons. I can add this to my "uses" for it.

Field of Screams <== good name for it.

Problem I have always had with small wounds, up to and including road rash, is getting the person to accept first aid before the scab forms. Over the dirt and germs. Rednecks and soldiers won't seek help until it is already a mess.

Thanks for the tip about putting the aspirin next to the spider bite. I have people in my family who don't properly guard against the little suckers when invading their space. Comes with certain jobs (but they should be wearing their PPE )

Good tip "YorktownGal" about the honey. Every prepper should have a source for local honey, and keep huge amounts of it on hand. Okay, modestly huge amounts. Has almost as many uses as duct tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 06:17 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
It's too bad the US won't allow people to stockpile drugs. People are all going to die someday, and pain meds will become extremely important then. Also, antibiotics are very important because who wants to die from an infection that spread because no meds were available. At least there's still aspirin and ibuprofen that don't need a prescription but who knows how long that's going to last. But seriously if somebody gets a simple eye infection or ear infection that doesn't get treated, they could end up losing their eyesight or go deaf. This would dramatically reduce the quality of life needlessly.

I wish the US will allow people to buy antibiotics and more pain killers without a prescription. I realize they say that antibiotics are causing superbugs and doctors are sometimes refusing to even give a prescription for it, but then what, just die because an infection took over?

Old 02-21-2022, 08:29 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
....Also, antibiotics are very important because who wants to die from an infection that spread because no meds were available. ...?
As I said earlier, that's a false impression not borne out by experience....In praticing medicine for 40 yrs in a pretty rough part of town, the overwhelming number of cases of cellulitis I treated occurred almost exclusivley in people with severe vascular problems (so severe, they'd be doomed in a SHTF situation) or in dog bites of the hand. ...The dog bites are special because germs that are ordinarily pretty innocuous are injected into the tendom sheaths in the hand---closed spaces that won't drain by themselves.

Antibioitcs don't "cure" infections. They just knock down the number of the invading force so that your natural defences can handle it...If antibiotics "really" worked, then kids with leukemia should never have to die from infections...But the do. Frequently.

As TRex pointed out above about spider bites, and true of most other wounds-- enough cleasning so you don't trap germs in the wound, and debridement of dead tissue so the germs have less to eat is way more important than dressings or antibiotics...In fact, the only reason for a dressing at all is to keep the Vaseline in place....

The purpose of skin is to keep germs out and moisture in. Vaseline does both, but gets wiped off more easily than skin....OTOH-- you can add more Vaseline quicker than you can grow new skin. Solutions to problems always involve compromises.

(I hope everyone knows I'm kidding about taping an aspirin on things.)

Old 02-21-2022, 09:34 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Old timers in my area used bear grease or lard before there was Vaseline for the same purpose.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:20 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
It's too bad the US won't allow people to stockpile drugs. People are all going to die someday, and pain meds will become extremely important then. Also, antibiotics are very important because who wants to die from an infection that spread because no meds were available. At least there's still aspirin and ibuprofen that don't need a prescription but who knows how long that's going to last. But seriously if somebody gets a simple eye infection or ear infection that doesn't get treated, they could end up losing their eyesight or go deaf. This would dramatically reduce the quality of life needlessly.

I wish the US will allow people to buy antibiotics and more pain killers without a prescription. I realize they say that antibiotics are causing superbugs and doctors are sometimes refusing to even give a prescription for it, but then what, just die because an infection took over?
I bought some antibiotic eye/ear drops on eBay (they are an OTC product in most of the world) and just by coincidence a family member got pink eye shortly after and it was nice to have on hand.

A friend of mine spent decades doing missionary work in third world countries and she told me that eye infections of all types are cured in most countries by using baby shampoo.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

(I hope everyone knows I'm kidding about taping an aspirin on things.)
Actually, no, I didn't, since I have seen it done. The effect was a sort of chemical debridement (along with, apparently, some pain relief, after the initial burning sensation) that deprived the germs of a place to grow. I just don't know if it would work against strep (the most likely cause of necrotizing fascitis), like it did against whatever septic infection they used it for.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I bought some antibiotic eye/ear drops on eBay (they are an OTC product in most of the world) and just by coincidence a family member got pink eye shortly after and it was nice to have on hand.

A friend of mine spent decades doing missionary work in third world countries and she told me that eye infections of all types are cured in most countries by using baby shampoo.
I'll look it up. Sometimes I think that buying antibiotics online is the way to go, if anyone in the homeland is willing to sell them without a prescription. There's also foreign pharmacies, but I don't know if any are legit and then there's dealing with customs. If anyone knows any legit foreign pharmacies or sellers, let me know.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:25 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
I'll look it up. Sometimes I think that buying antibiotics online is the way to go, if anyone in the homeland is willing to sell them without a prescription. There's also foreign pharmacies, but I don't know if any are legit and then there's dealing with customs. If anyone knows any legit foreign pharmacies or sellers, let me know.
Disclaimer: Don't do anything in this post, in fact don't even read it.

One time I chased down the lot numbers for a popular "fish antibiotic" commonly sold in a format designed for humans to swallow and compared them to the lot number of a generic brand human antibiotic. They were identical as were the size, shape, and appearance of the capsules. They are harder to find on the internet now but many of the feed stores still sell them, but you won't find them in a national chain.

Disclaimer: Just like horse paste, humans should NEVER use products sold for animals.

Except for Bag Balm. For whatever reason.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:

One time I chased down the lot numbers for a popular "fish antibiotic" commonly sold in a format designed for humans to swallow and compared them to the lot number of a generic brand human antibiotic. They were identical as were the size, shape, and appearance of the capsules. They are harder to find on the internet now but many of the feed stores still sell them, but you won't find them in a national chain.

Disclaimer: Just like horse paste, humans should NEVER use products sold for animals.

Thank you.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:

This doesn't surprise me, at all. I have been reading medical traffic on the Net for almost 30 years, and found there are three reasons the medical establishment doesn't want antibiotics to be used indiscriminately. The one medical people bring up is that people not taking them right can give rise to resistant strains, but if you press them there are two more reasons, the antibiotics may simply cover up a more serious condition and the person loses time and distorts test results if they take antibiotics instead of seeking medical help.

With the Ivermectin prohibition, there may be some overlapping and valid reasoning, but the real reasons are related to corruption, in our pharmaceutical industry and its governance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness