Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 09:26 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
No rice pudding?

Then why would you want to survive???

Actually, rice is the mainstay of billions of people across Asia especially, and has been for a long time. It must be good for something.
And central and south america.

Off the top of my head - it does have a decent amount of calories. I'm not saying you should do rice vs. other dry goods, but its worth having if you have the room. My view is that its good to add to a meal to add volume or as a base (i.e. w/ meat).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 09:50 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,577,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
And central and south america.

Off the top of my head - it does have a decent amount of calories. I'm not saying you should do rice vs. other dry goods, but its worth having if you have the room. My view is that its good to add to a meal to add volume or as a base (i.e. w/ meat).
I carry rice in my packs because it's simple to add a handful of rice to a soup or stew to give it some bulk.
If you have nothing else, some rice and a bullion cube give you a simple meal.

I will sometimes carry pearl barley or instant potatoes for the same purpose. Oatmeal does a good job too, but doesn't go as well with soups and stews, but if you're hungry and it's all you got.....

Beans are good, but take longer to cook, although I have found putting some beans in a wide mouth plastic bottle you can seal and letting them soak while you travel helps cut down cooking time when you get to your campsite.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
No rice pudding?

Then why would you want to survive???

Actually, rice is the mainstay of billions of people across Asia especially, and has been for a long time. It must be good for something.
Non diabetics, that is. For me, white rice and spaghetti are certainly off the menu and I can only have 50 cc's of brown rice a day.

Dad turned me on to beans in the 90s when I didn't have much money, he said it was how the Army ate during the Great Depression. Robyn Davidson, "Tracks", got me started on lentils (that's what she ate on her trek across the Outback) and split peas got in between the two somewhere along the way.
Quote:
......Beans are good, but take longer to cook, although I have found putting some beans in a wide mouth plastic bottle you can seal and letting them soak while you travel helps cut down cooking time when you get to your campsite.
I find my version of Moors & Christians, of black beans, black eyed peas, brown rice cooks up pretty fast. Further, it makes its own stew so extra spices aren't needed.

When I make my stew for the week, beef or chicken, it involves various kinds of beans. I toss a handful of pinto beans in to add to it and like that, they cook decently fast.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:23 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,577,289 times
Big difference between cooking in a kitchen or doing over a campfire.

Beans are fine, got food value and they're cheap. But they take some time to cook, so not the best choice when you're traveling.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:26 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,211,261 times
I grew up eating beans and peas that we grew in our garden. My dad gave it up when he lost the free labor (we grew up and moved). Even after I got married my wife and I had a garden one year that we ate off of for three years from the canned beans and peas. I can't find fresh beans and peas much anywhere I live now. So I have to get dry beans and peas instead and can them. I bought more of these yesterday along with flour, sugar, rice, noodles and cornbread mix.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:27 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yesterday Russia invaded and started bombing. On the news, they were showing people crowded into the markets stocking up on supplies.

Sigh. I guess that is just human nature, to wait until too late to make plans.

You'd think with Russia parked on the border and just a few miles away, everyone would already have at least their staples piled up under the bed and ready for the day when there are no supplies in the market. But no. Don't stock up until the bombs have been falling for a couple of hours already.

I forgot the psychological term for this condition, mine is; a dangerous state of denial leading to dependence on others.
All of the warning signs are there, as the entire planet is now in a situation it has not seen in almost a century. Only now it is more perilous due to technology, and economic inter-dependence.
When I tell people to stock food, I get a blank what for stare in return.
Apparently they haven't noticed China doing this.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:15 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,211,261 times
One very important thing I forgot to mention is coffee. We like Community Coffee so we bought 4 huge bags from Sam's Club. What I could order from Sam's I ordered from Costco which included several cases of canned soup along with some more coffee.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:13 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Water/filtration is high on my list.

I think a conventional war is far fetched, however additional cyber attacks is a real possibility. Our water system is at risk and clean water could be hard to come by.
As we have chlorinated city water.

But I buy gallons of filtered drinking water and gallons of distilled water for my CPAP.
When they are empty, I fill with the city water, mark them as "chlorinated water" and the date.
I take them downstairs to the basement.

Every 6 months I use those to water the plants and refresh and redate.

Been doing it for a while.
Have many gallons down there.

Live near a creek, and the river it feeds into.

Have purification system and life straw products.

And methods to boil it.

I currently have 4 gallons of distilled water backup for my CPAP.
Best

Old 04-01-2022, 09:46 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,572,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I am stocked up for the disasters we normally face where I live. I am curious, what extra things are being stocked by my City-Data friends that are not usually stocked?

I am anticipating an increase in food prices since we import fertilizer from Russia. Russia is a major exporter of urea, NKS and ammonium nitrate. It is also the third largest exporter of potash. We can get these from others countries, but at what cost?

My mother talked about the rationing during World War II. She would get ham and bacon from relatives in the country in exchange for sugar and coffee. She would then go to the black market and exchange the bacon for eggs, butter, soap and nylon hose.

As an aside, I was told that whole sweet potatoes would freeze nicely. Tried it. Put an uncooked, unwrapped sweet potato in the freezer and left it there for several months. Thawed it out last week and baked it. Not bad. A little sweeter than fresh, but quite edible.

I've often wondered but always forget to ask, so here goes: What exactly was the obsession with nylon hose around WW2 all about? Every single time I hear about that era, nylons are mentioned as a hard to get, hoarding item. What possible use did they have other then to look professional during a job interview for ladies? Robbing a bank maybe?

Old 04-01-2022, 12:48 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,272,409 times
Back then (way back then), women were required to wear dresses to work. Hose was mandatory. It had a seam running up the back of the leg and was easy to damage. Silk hose was the best, but our supply of silk came from Japan. Silk and nylon were confiscated by the government to be used for parachutes and other war materials. Hose became a highly sought after commodity. Even used hose was sellable! My mother told me about putting makeup on her legs, and using a eyebrow pencil to draw a fake seam up the back of her leg.

When I first began working, we were required to wear dresses. I wore nylon hose. Hose was so delicate that I would go thru several pairs a week. I wore panty hose and always bought the same color. When I got a run in one leg, I would cut off that leg and match it with another one-legged pair. By layering them, I had an acceptable pair of hose. If the half-hose didn't match, I would boil them in tea to even out the color.

When the women at the company I worked at demanded the right to wear pants, we were required to wear pantsuits and the jacket had to completely cover our butts! And . . . we still had to wear hose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness